Author Topic: Which barrel should I get?  (Read 584 times)

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Which barrel should I get?
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:12:52 AM »
I just got a Handi that came with 3 barrels: 44 Mag, .223, and 12 gauge. To complete my "Kill Anything That Walks, Crawls, or Flies" combo I was thinking of getting one more barrel such as 35 Whelen. I already have 45-70, 30-30, .308 and 7 Mag rifles so I want something I don't already have and I like the idea of the 35Whelen because 1) it comes with open sights 2) I can use cheap .358 pistol bullets for plinking/practice.
What do you guys think?
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Which barrel should I get?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:30:03 AM »
I didn't realize the Whelen barrel comes with sights. ??? It is a fine choice for a large game caliber. Here's an article I read last night that further supports it's use.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:39:24 AM »
Sounds good. Plenty of thump, good trajectory.
Might I suggest the .357 mag reamed to max. Same caliber, even easier to load the light plinking loads for, .30-30 power when you ramp up the loads.
Unless you just want/need the Whelen's power, I think you'll love it.
I have a Talo Trapper (18 3/4" barrel with sights) that I bought for my oldest grand daughter and reamed to max. Shoots .38, .357 mag and .357 max all just as good. the .38 loads have no recoil and little noise. .357 max loads bark, but aren't abusive, and kick less than a .410 H&R shotgun. Plenty of mileage out of your reloading supplies, just an all around joy to load and shoot. Using a 2.5x scope it shoots the Hornady 180 gr. SSP bullets into an inch at 100 yards with boring regularity.
If you want to try it out just come on up and we'll play with it.
Les
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
My first thought was the 357 barrel  ;D .
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »
you will have to check the receiver to make sure it is a sb2 to handle the heavy pressure.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »
you will have to check the receiver to make sure it is a sb2 to handle the heavy pressure.

Even then it has to be made 2000 or later for H&R to fit a Whelen barrel to it, they won't fit any rifle barrels other than 357 and 44 mag to SB2 frames made before 2000.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hex

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »
I just got a Handi that came with 3 barrels: 44 Mag, .223, and 12 gauge. To complete my "Kill Anything That Walks, Crawls, or Flies" combo I was thinking of getting one more barrel such as 35 Whelen. I already have 45-70, 30-30, .308 and 7 Mag rifles so I want something I don't already have and I like the idea of the 35Whelen because 1) it comes with open sights 2) I can use cheap .358 pistol bullets for plinking/practice.
What do you guys think?

I have a Whelen with the open sites. I am looking to replace the factory ones with something a little more "visible". I was shooting black walnuts with it at 50 yards with 200 grain factory Hornady's the other day leaving black "dust" all over the shooting area. It is a damn good round with a lot of flexibility, kicks a little in a Handi so expect it to let you know it went down range.
“Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.” - Nikola Tesla