Author Topic: Assignment Locations  (Read 567 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Assignment Locations
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »
In the coming few months I will be choosing a new assignment. My first choice is Alaska but I will also need to be flexible to where the needs are. I have two young children, the oldest will start school in 2 years and I like to shoot and hunt, species not important. Wife is a homemaker, but likes the amenities of a nearby city. Here's my short list, please share your thoughts on these areas.

- Huntsville, AL
- Radcliff, KY
- Colorado Springs, CO
- St. Roberts, MO
- San Antonio, TX
- Leavenworth, KS
- Highland Falls, NY
- Petersburg, VA

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Assignment Locations
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
Va. has good hunting , lots of military post , great cities ( some not all ) and several school systems are listed high in rankings .And there are lots of gun stores !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:08:12 AM »
Va. has good hunting , lots of military post , great cities ( some not all ) and several school systems are listed high in rankings .And there are lots of gun stores !

I've heard that about VA before, but don't want any chance of being anywhere near DC. That place is a zoo! Fort Lee is about the only one I would even consider.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
Ft Lee is booming . Its 2 hrs from the bay 2 hr from the mts. Check out the GW and Jefferson national forest or the state forest . Of course Ft Pickett not far from Lee has on base hunting.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »
Sure you don't want to go back to Ft. Sill?  ::)  J/K  ;D
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »
Sure you don't want to go back to Ft. Sill?  ::)  J/K  ;D

Lawton grew on me, so that's not the problem. I'm a medic at a FA post. I should be so lucky..... ::) :-\

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
Ft Lee is booming . Its 2 hrs from the bay 2 hr from the mts. Check out the GW and Jefferson national forest or the state forest . Of course Ft Pickett not far from Lee has on base hunting.

Thanks for the advice. I also spoke to a friend at Ft. Lee, it has now been added to my list. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline thumper113

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Assignment Locations
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 06:36:04 PM »
Dinny,

Gotta vote for San Antonio right after Alaska.  Never heard of anyone complaining about being stationed there.

I was stationed west of there at San Angelo as an instructor.  (Yeah, an AFB but I suffered through it.)

LOVED it!  We didn't buy meat for two years unless the wife just wanted chicken.  Rabbit, deer, quail, duck and fish filled our freezer.

With a family and what you've been through I'd weigh heavy on any non-tactical unit with the least likelihood of deployment.  (Been there, done that.  Family deserves some time with Dad.)

Godspeed on your return.

Rob
God Bless Our Troops!

Offline thumper113

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Assignment Locations
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
And is the St. Roberts, MO Ft. Lost in the woods?

If so, LOTS of good hunting and fishing!   

God Bless Our Troops!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »
And is the St. Roberts, MO Ft. Lost in the woods?
If so, LOTS of good hunting and fishing!

Oh yeah! That's why it made my list. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 12:59:17 AM »
Know a lot of of folks who moved to Huntsville and stayed, and a lot of folks who grew up in Huntsville and never left.
Know very few who left. Great place to raise a family. Lots of opportunity. Its growing, but still has a small town atmosphere.
Also, good duck hunting on the Tennessee River, and great deer hunting just across the state line in TN.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:37 AM »
Know a lot of of folks who moved to Huntsville and stayed, and a lot of folks who grew up in Huntsville and never left.
Know very few who left. Great place to raise a family. Lots of opportunity. Its growing, but still has a small town atmosphere.
Also, good duck hunting on the Tennessee River, and great deer hunting just across the state line in TN.

I've heard similar stories of Huntsville. Thanks for reinforcing them.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 07:58:40 AM »
Petersburg, VA if you want to get into fishing.
Huntsville if you want to expand your Eastern style hunting and fishing,
Colorado Springs if you want no water sports, but want to get in the hilly country of the rocky mountains

The KY or MO locations are a lot like Huntsville, in terms of terrain and outdoor stuff. Not as family friendly or cosmopolitan though.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 10:44:50 AM »
Dinny, the wife has applied for positions at Ft Lee, she is from New Port News Va.  So I may not be here if you come to Alaska.  But I will be back.  She also applied for a job at Ft Benning, it's 4,000 miles closer to Virginia than Alaska. 

If she does get a job down there I will still be spending my summers here in Alaska.  I'll be leaving right after hunting season.  I have to spend six months here in Alaska every year to maintain my residency.  I plan on being here May thru October, Georgia's hot months.  Bears in May.  Kings and Reds in June and July.  Caribou in August, Moose and Bears in September, and October.  Then the first of November to Virginia, Florida, Georgia, or where ever.

I'm going to be honest with you, Fairbanks is very cold and isolated.  Anchorage is a big city, with big city problems.  It's not as cold, and less expensive to live in Anchorage.  JBER (Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson) is ran by the Air Force, the Army are tenants.  We are fully expecting the Army to move the flag back to Ft Wainwright, there is tension between the Army Commander and the Air Force Commander.  The Air Force is trying to close Eielson AFB, that could justify the Army moving north to make room for the planes and personnel from Eielson at Elmendorf.   Good luck with that assignment.   Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 02:25:42 AM »
Petersburg, VA if you want to get into fishing.
Huntsville if you want to expand your Eastern style hunting and fishing,
Colorado Springs if you want no water sports, but want to get in the hilly country of the rocky mountains

The KY or MO locations are a lot like Huntsville, in terms of terrain and outdoor stuff. Not as family friendly or cosmopolitan though.

There is alot of hunting near Petersburg also .