Author Topic: Beginner questions  (Read 612 times)

Offline hillbillyjim

• Trade Count: (1)
Beginner questions
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
Hey, guys.
I'm not only new to GBO, I'm new to H&Rs. I signed up here 'cause a good friend over at Cast Boolits told me this is THE place to learn about them.
Reloader88 came up to visit today and we did a barrel trade. We also did a little shootin', too. Some was ammo and some was BS! By the way, I think he's a fine young man.
I now understand the difference about the receivers. I have a question about the calibers that can be put on the cast iron ones. Where can I get a list of calibers that be shot from this type?
I'm 60 years old and long quit loading the hot stuff. On the contrary, I like experimenting with super low power loads. I tell you that so you may be able to help.
.30-30 Win. is a caliber I have brass, bullets and dies for and it's really calling my name.
Thanks to all here. I'm enjoying myself!
Jim Connor
Floyd, VA

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »
Welcome Jim! I sent a sb1 frame to the factory to have a .357 barrel fitted. thought it would be great. just remove the 20ga barrel and presto a neat little rifle. ran into a problem. the shotguns come with a larger firing pin. factory ammo ,not hot handloads, were having pierced primers and primer brass flowing back around the firing pin. 357 cases loaded with a light 38 special powder charge were ok. I bought a handi rifle in .45-70 and tried the 357 on it's sb2 frame. no more primer problems even with 357 maximum ammo. with this said i can't recomend putting one on a shotgun frame, but that may just be this gun. losts of guys on here have done it with no problems. Also there are some sb1s with the smaller rifle firng pin.
Mike.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »
Welcome, check out the FAQs and Basics sections at the top of the page. There's a lot of answers up there ;)

Offline hillbillyjim

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
Welcome, check out the FAQs and Basics sections at the top of the page. There's a lot of answers up there ;) 

Thank you, Sir! Will do.

EDIT:
I did and I found my answer. I just had a 'V-8 moment'. I have a rifle receiver. I can only shoot one barrel at a time and as easy as they are to swap out, just get another rifle barrel and I'm done.

Big dufus!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
Jim,
  Be careful with those cast iron receivers. I think you're really limited to which barrels should be used on them. They're not quite the same as the newer receivers. I would hate for someone to throw a factory round in there and get a surprise.  ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »
Welcome to Handiland.  If you want 30-30 get an SB-2 frame, or find an old Topper 30-30 and stick to factory level reloads.  I keep shotgun barrels on the SB-1 frames, and even use an SB-2 for my 20ga slug gun because that's what it fit.  The 30-30 is supposed to be one of the most accurate Handis.  Mine certainly is.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline MDC123

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:01:29 PM »
Hey Jim, you gonna be coon huntin' with a Handi?
I sneeked over from CB also. Been thinking on a Handi cast shooter

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
Hillbillies coon huntin with a 30-30 ::) ;D 

Still welcome, you guys just be careful ;)

Offline hillbillyjim

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 02:39:34 AM »
A few decades back, an elderly gentleman told me "Son, half of bein' smart is knowin' what ya' don't know." I understand that very well, now that I've got some years behind me.

Y'all don't worry about the ol' man, I have absolutely no intention of doin' somethin' stupid. I WILL be asking lots of questions and I WILL be heeding the voices of experience.

BigV, I won't be tryin' to explode 'coons with a .30-30, but I have sent a few to that big creek bottom in the sky with a cast bullet in a .223 down loaded to about 600 FPS. Who says ya' gotta follow convention?

Thank you all, not only for your help, but for your concern, also. I'm a lot more impressed by "Be careful" than something totally disrespectful.

I'll be back!

Jim Connor
Floyd, VA

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 03:24:09 AM »
I was just welcome/kiddin you and MDC. I've shot coon with light loaded 22 Hornet and worked great. I've downloaded 223 and love the little pop and NO recoil. Sounds like when we get older we tend to do an about face on velocity. I'm into downloading also. Might have something to do with population moving in on us.
I've learned a lot on this site, the people here are great, I still have lots to learn.
Good Luck and have fun ;)

Offline ncloader88

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 03:52:00 AM »
Hey Jim, just remembered an article I read about 30-30 coon loads.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rb30.htm

You may have seen Junior's stuff before, but the whole site is a great read. It probably would be better to stick with the rifle receiver to keep your options open, since your only shooting one gun at a time ;)   Keep an eye on the h&r classifieds, it may not be fast, but you will eventually find what you want.
30-06 UC, 444 Marlin, 12 gauge, 22lr versa-pak, 223

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »
Hey there Jim, you sound like you might be my missing twin brother...... ;)
Ive made nice 32-20 equiv. loads in 30-30, use stubby little jacketed,half jacket or cast bullets. The 130ish gr. cast is great as an all rounder and the 150s in on sale factory will be low pressure for the old leverguns and not too much for a Handi, but still high performance enough (if you 'need' that much). The cast loads are right up your alley for your intent, I think.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974