Author Topic: Which ones are what I want ?  (Read 618 times)

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Which ones are what I want ?
« on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:11 PM »
I would like to get non-collectible but shootable specimens of the first modern double action revolvers by Colt and S&W that achieved wide acceptance by law enforcement. I'm not sure exactly what th right models would be.
So far, I am thinking of the S&W Model 10 M&P and the Colt Police Positive, probably both in 38 Special.
Are these the models I am looking for ? Which ever models are right, any guesses on price ?

Thanks !

Offline keith44

Re: Which ones are what I want ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:47:49 PM »
can't say for sure what models you are looking for, but you will pay for either.  Back in the late 70's Dad bought a used Colt Python for about 250 bucks, last check of current value put that gun at around $1,500.00.  Partly cause they ain't made no more, and partly due to the name.  I would expect a Smith to be at or near the same price for the same vintage gun.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »
When I went to work in 1970, I was issued a used Colt Police Positive.  The other firearm being issued at the time was the Model 10.  I sooooooo wanted the Smith.  I finally got one, and carried it for years without concern of being under gunned using the issued Federal +P 158 grn. hp's.  It's still a very good combination--a Model 10 and that particular round.  When I was promoted to Agent in 1980, they gave me a 2" stainless 64.  I adored that gun also. 
How times have changed.  Now, a .38 Special in any firearm is considered weak, and I suppose it is compared to modern high capacity autos.  But you know what?  A .38 is still as much of a gun as it was back then.  If it worked then, it will work now.  The value of those old revolvers are low.  I think someday they might be collectible.   

Offline FPH

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
S&W Model 10 and a Colt Police Positive in .32

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 01:51:43 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replies, guys ! Happy Holidays !

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »
Iown a colt police positive revolver made in 1913 that was carried by a Seattle cop at the time and I got it from the estate when it was sold.  It is loose and fires a 38 Colt New Police (38 S&W with a flat point bullet).  I also Have a 1920s vintage S&W M&P in 38 Special.  Both revolvers have six inch pencil barrels. Neither colst me much but they are both in Poor condition but still shootable.