Author Topic: Just my 2 cents  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Molon Labe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come and take them!
Just my 2 cents
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:22:09 AM »
I notice there is a forum dedicated for every kind of hunting imaginable except one for black powder/muzzle loaders only.
 The reason i am wondering is i have decided that i will no longer hunt with cartridge guns.
Several years ago I tried bow hunting,  and went from hunting with a cartridge deer rifle to using a single shot 12 gauge.
 I feel this gives the animal a sporting chance and serves to hone my skills as a hunter. It is also another set of values I want to instill in my son about nature and the circle of life.

So I have decided to add to my black powder gun collection with a couple of good rifles and a shotgun to use exclusively from now on for medium to large game.

There are some great forums in the black powder section and I have enjoyed reading and learning from them.  I'm not really into modern in lines. Personally I think they are ugly. I like the look of traditional muzzle loaders where a gun was meant to be serviceable, but was a work of art too.

In my opinion  a forum for black powder hunting to swap stories and ask questions might be something which would round out this section of GBO nicely.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."-Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

"The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on Earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet than live on his knees!" - George Washington

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Just my 2 cents
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
Feel free to share your black powder adventures right here.
There's several BP hunters who post and share in this forum.
I'd suspect that if there was enough interest and support you could talk the boss into a seperate forum.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »
I could care less about feeling like Daniel Boone and more about making a humane kill. So what if you give the game "a fair chance" and "hone" your skills  if you only wound and maim the game.  You should be using the weapon that presents the best opportunity to humanely take an animal, and your "feelings"do not matter.

Offline FPH

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
Stalk, and don't take a shot over 50 yds, but use a modern day rifle.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
I could care less about feeling like Daniel Boone and more about making a humane kill. So what if you give the game "a fair chance" and "hone" your skills  if you only wound and maim the game.  You should be using the weapon that presents the best opportunity to humanely take an animal, and your "feelings"do not matter.

FPH many states have black powder only seasons and it's not looked as inhumane. Most of these folks spend a lot of time practicing for that one shot and effectively bring game home. Conversly many deer are wounded and left to die a slow death during rifle season with modern firearms by folks who don't practice. Seems to me it's more about the hunter than the weapon.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
That's silly , a BP gun is as good at killing game as any other gun . One must be a more discplined shot with one alot of the time ( I assume you reason for using one) but front stuffers have been feeding families longer than modern guns. Lets see front stuffers set 1000 yard records back in the 1800's mostly with out scopes . BTW inlines came first then side locks some authorities claim. Then there are under hammer guns . Billy dixion killed an Indian chief at a few yards under a mile in Texas with a BP gun , not a front stuffer ( yes it was a mesured mile not a guess) . How close must one get  On this site we always hear the benifits of using cast bullets , do bullets care how they were launched ?
 Here is a perfect example of hunters spouting off about others choices when we should be supporting all hunting and bonding aginst the anti hunting movement.
 FPH with all due respect are you an anti here to disrupt hunters ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »
As for humane lets see is a life a life or does it only apply to the life we like ? Here deer are considered pest same for Canada geese . I doubt BP hunters leave anymore wounded game in the fiels than rifle , shotgun , bow or handgun shooters. To be honest when you only have one shot you tend to make it count .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Molon Labe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come and take them!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:19:42 AM »
Just for the record I don't feel like Daniel Boone.  I do believe everyone who hunts has a responsibility to the land and the animals who live in it. 
Hunting is more of a challenge when you have only one shot and you are stalking your prey.  With a black powder rifle and only one shot you don't waste it.  If you aren't sure you don't take the shot.
 Anyone can sit in a tree stand 50 yards from a deer feeder and will probably get a deer if they wait long enough (though I have family members that fail to do so every year...must be the pile of beer cans beneath their stands.  Though IMHO that isn't very sporting. I have nothing against people who use cartridge guns as long as they have respect for the land they hunt on.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."-Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

"The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on Earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet than live on his knees!" - George Washington

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
Interesting thing about choices.  :o as long as yours are legal why be critical. I've been through the whole different circle of weapon choices over the years, including hunting with dogs & a knife. Spears & blow guns too. Hog hunting with a catch dog & a 7" blade was fun when I was young & agile, but would be crazy for me now in my sunset years.

If a guy likes black powder, single shot, rifles or fowlers. Then let him accept the limitations of that hunting choice & be happy hunting with his weapon. Lord knows its a fine choice & perfectly capable of quick humane kills. Speaking of humane nothing in nature dies a humane death by human standards. Deer seldom die in a rest home.  ::)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 01:35:14 AM »

Here is a perfect example of hunters spouting off about others choices when we should be supporting all hunting and bonding aginst the anti hunting movement.
 FPH with all due respect are you an anti here to disrupt hunters ?

this is one of the most important things we can do as hunters and fishermen.
I think everyone should hunt with a beautiful recurve.  but If a person wants to hunt with an ugly compound, go for it.

If it's legal, support it.  don't allow the liberals to divide us.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye