Author Topic: It's official, perverts and pot now legal in Wash state.  (Read 2819 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
It's official, perverts and pot now legal in Wash state.
« on: December 06, 2012, 02:59:52 AM »
Marijuana possession, same-sex marriage now officially legal in Washington state  Published December 06, 2012
Associated Press     
  •    Dec. 6, 2012: Mike Momany smokes marijuana just after midnight at the Space Needle in Seattle. (AP)
  •    Dec. 6, 2012: Claudia Gorbman, left, and partner Pam Keeley wear caps both reading "bride" as they display their newly-issued marriage license. (AP)
  Next Slide Previous Slide   SEATTLE –  The crowds of happy people lighting joints under Seattle's Space Needle early Thursday morning with nary a police officer in sight bespoke the new reality: Marijuana is legal under Washington state law.
Hundreds gathered at Seattle Center for a New Year's Eve-style countdown to 12 a.m., when the legalization measure passed by voters last month took effect. When the clock struck, they cheered and sparked up in unison.
A few dozen people gathered on a sidewalk outside the north Seattle headquarters of the annual Hempfest celebration and did the same, offering joints to reporters and blowing smoke into television news cameras.
"I feel like a kid in a candy store!" shouted Hempfest volunteer Darby Hageman. "It's all becoming real now!"

Washington and Colorado became the first states to vote to decriminalize and regulate the possession of an ounce or less of marijuana by adults over 21. Both measures call for setting up state licensing schemes for pot growers, processors and retail stores. Colorado's law is set to take effect by Jan. 5.

In another sweeping change for Washington, Gov. Chris Gregoire on Wednesday signed into law a measure that legalizes same-sex marriage. The state joins several others that allow gay and lesbian couples to wed.
That law also took effect at midnight, allowing gay and lesbian couples to start picking up their wedding certificates and licenses at county auditors' offices. Those offices in King County, the state's largest and home to Seattle, and Thurston County, home to the state capital of Olympia, planned to open the earliest, at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, to start issuing marriage licenses. Because the state has a three-day waiting period, the earliest that weddings can take place is Sunday.

Technically, Washington's new marijuana law still forbids smoking pot in public, which remains punishable by a fine, like drinking in public. But pot fans wanted a party, and Seattle police weren't about to write them any tickets.
The department told its 1,300 officers on Wednesday, just before legalization took hold, that until further notice they shall not issue citations for public marijuana use.

Officers will be advising people not to smoke in public, police spokesman Jonah Spangenthal-Lee wrote on the SPD Blotter. "The police department believes that, under state law, you may responsibly get baked, order some pizzas and enjoy a `Lord of the Rings' marathon in the privacy of your own home, if you want to."

He offered a catchy new directive referring to the film "The Big Lebowski," popular with many marijuana fans: "The Dude abides, and says `take it inside!"'
"This is a big day because all our lives we've been living under the iron curtain of prohibition," said Hempfest director Vivian McPeak. "The whole world sees that prohibition just took a body blow."

Washington's new law decriminalizes possession of up to an ounce for those over 21, but for now selling marijuana remains illegal. I-502 gives the state a year to come up with a system of state-licensed growers, processors and retail stores, with the marijuana taxed 25 percent at each stage. Analysts have estimated that a legal pot market could bring Washington hundreds of millions of dollars a year in new tax revenue for schools, health care and basic government functions.
But marijuana remains illegal under federal law. That means federal agents can still arrest people for it, and it's banned from federal properties, including military bases and national parks.

The Justice Department has not said whether it will sue to try to block the regulatory schemes in Washington and Colorado from taking effect.
"The department's responsibility to enforce the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged," said a statement issued Wednesday by the Seattle U.S. attorney's office. "Neither states nor the executive branch can nullify a statute passed by Congress" -- a non-issue, since the measures passed in Washington and Colorado don't "nullify" federal law, which federal agents remain free to enforce.

The legal question is whether the establishment of a regulated marijuana market would "frustrate the purpose" of the federal pot prohibition, and many constitutional law scholars say it very likely would.
That leaves the political question of whether the administration wants to try to block the regulatory system, even though it would remain legal to possess up to an ounce of marijuana.

Alison Holcomb is the drug policy director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington and served as the campaign manager for New Approach Washington, which led the legalization drive. She said the voters clearly showed they're done with marijuana prohibition.
"New Approach Washington sponsors and the ACLU look forward to working with state and federal officials and to ensure the law is fully and fairly implemented," she said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/06/marijuana-possession-and-same-sex-marriage-now-officially-legal-in-washington/?test=latestnews#ixzz2EHQBHRLG
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline magooch

Re: It's official, perverts and pot now legal in Wash state.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:17:03 AM »
As a citizen of Washington State, I am outraged at what liberalism has done to my state.  When the queers and dopers are given more consideration for their proclivity than what normal folks get, it's clear where this society is headed.  This is not only liberalism gone berserk, but it is what happens when libertarianism gets out of hand.  I don't think it solves anything, but it for sure will create a whole lot of more problems.  Queers already had "partnerships" with all the rights of straight marriage and being able to get married only insults the institution of real marriage.  Making dope legal in small quantity only exacerbates the problem with even more virulent drugs.  Nothing good will come of this.
Swingem

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
I hope no one is equliving Queers = Dopers or vice-versa.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »
I don't care to try pot , don't smoke either . What I do mind is paying for the war on it with little to show for it. It wasn't until the 1930's that it became illegal. I have never heard of churches/christians marching aginst it befor then. So why has it got to be such a deamon today ? Could it have started when Dupoint came out aginst it to streghten sales of synthetic rope ? Could it be the funds from taxes to fight it caused a propaganda effort to secure these funds would not only keep comming but grow ? Where in the Bible does it condem pot ? Abuse or over use sure . So why is it such a big deal only 70 years after it was made illegal when it was fine up until then ? when presidents used it ? Wonder how many fore fathers smoked in in their clay pipe ?
 They must have always been around now we know who they are . Easier to avoid confrontation now.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline scootrd

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:09:38 AM »
I did try pot a couple of times back in very early 70's .
I didn't like it at all. Didn't like the feeling it gave me , and it burned my throat terribly.

I personally have no problem with anybody who wants to put stupid crap in their bodies be it pot or anything else.

What I do have a problem with is  - if you are driving, shooting ,  boating are anything else under the influence of alcohol , pot or any other substance you want to pollute your body with and god forbid you injure or kill one of my own the individual wont need to wait for a jury of their peers.  Judgement will be swift and just , and that has never been just an idle threat of mine.

And don't show up at my door while under the influence , you will not be welcomed and will be turned away. 

Semper Fi
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »
I did try pot a couple of times back in very early 70's .
I didn't like it at all. Didn't like the feeling it gave me , and it burned my throat terribly.

I personally have no problem with anybody who wants to put stupid crap in their bodies be it pot or anything else.

What I do have a problem with is  - if you are driving, shooting ,  boating are anything else under the influence of alcohol , pot or any other substance you want to pollute your body with and god forbid you injure or kill one of my own the individual wont need to wait for a jury of their peers.  Judgement will be swift and just Yep I agree 100% and there are laws on the books to deal with it, and that has never been just an idle threat of mine.

And don't show up at my door while under the influence , you will not be welcomed and will be turned away. 

Semper Fi

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
god forbid you injure or kill one of my own the individual wont need to wait for a jury of their peers.  Judgement will be swift and just
We finally agree on something.... :)    anyone who gets on the road after using any kind of mind altering drugs/alcohol is saying that they don't care if our loved-ones are killed or maimed.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »
god forbid you injure or kill one of my own the individual wont need to wait for a jury of their peers.  Judgement will be swift and just
We finally agree on something.... :)    anyone who gets on the road after using any kind of mind altering drugs/alcohol is saying that they don't care if our loved-ones are killed or maimed.

This kind of post are always bad ! as it is evidnce of ones thought process and if found at a later date if something did happen could cause alot of speculation and trouble . Not that the idea is with out merit .

Offline magooch

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
The law as I understand it in this state allows adults to possess less than an ounce and no public use.  Yutes are still banned from possession, or use anywhere.  In my estimation, this just complicates law enforcement and solves nothing.

I don't much care what adults put in their body while they occupy their own property, but when they take one step off that property it's a whole nother story.  I say if they're caught with it (non-prescription drugs) in their bloodstream while driving, working, or anywhere off their own property--nail em to the cross.  If it was good enough for Jesus ....
Swingem

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 01:31:24 PM »
THANK GOD for freedom, and for the ballot. Ain't it a bitch when the people get to make their own decisions?

Now we only have to worry about the over-zealous self righteous who want to shoot people they don't like.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 02:49:21 AM »

This kind of post are always bad ! as it is evidnce of ones thought process and if found at a later date if something did happen could cause alot of speculation and trouble . Not that the idea is with out merit .

Well wouldn't be much speculation on my side or the Laws. After Justice was served it's not like I would be running away.
Be pretty easy to prove intent. Cause yes jury of my peers "I intended" and will readily accept judgement for my actions.

Never been one not to accept ownership of my actions. My dad cured me of that quite early in life.

Semper Fi
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 03:13:06 AM »
I hope no one is equliving Queers = Dopers or vice-versa.
Blessings
If you get high/drunk, how do you know what you did while under the influence.? ;D ;D
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 03:17:54 AM »

If a doper/drunk kills or maims one of mine, or a boyfriend/husband beats up my daughter, well, I'm an old man and life in prison wouldn't last long.

I might not kill the perp, but he would beg me to kill him.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline magooch

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 03:36:45 AM »
THANK GOD for freedom, and for the ballot. Ain't it a bitch when the people get to make their own decisions?

Now we only have to worry about the over-zealous self righteous who want to shoot people they don't like.
So you would be alright with it as long as it is "voter" approved.  That's very interesting, because at the rate we're going, there will come the day when "the voters" might approve something even you will find hard to condone.  This is why pure democracy never works for long.  It becomes mob rule and when that mob loses its morals and sense of decency...well, we see where it goes. 
Swingem

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:09:35 AM »

So you would be alright with it as long as it is "voter" approved.  That's very interesting, because at the rate we're going, there will come the day when "the voters" might approve something even you will find hard to condone.  This is why pure democracy never works for long.  It becomes mob rule and when that mob loses its morals and sense of decency...well, we see where it goes.
I'm okay with freedom, Magooch. I'm okay with letting people make their own decisions. I do not want to have to kowtow. That's the point. It took referendum of the people to get there for WA.

It SHOULD NOT be the business of the state to tell us what we can eat, drink, smoke, or grow in our garden. I piss on those who want to do that.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 05:17:17 AM »
It is not the business of the state to tell us what we can eat, drink, smoke, or grow in our garden. I piss on those who want to do that.

I agree , just don't infringe on others while doing it as well.
Wanna Smoke , Smoke at home. Wanna get drunk ... go for it. I personally don't care if you Wanna strip naked in your own backyard drink moonshine, pop some shrooms and howl at the moon if that floats your boat.

Just don't operate a vehicle etc... and don't come round me while high or hurt any of the ones I love in the process.
I wont tread on you, you don't tread on me and there will never be an issue.

and oh BTW Alcohol and chainsaws don't mix either. Just ask my cousin the idiot.

Semper Fi

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 05:22:05 AM »
As a citizen of Washington State, I am outraged at what liberalism has done to my state.  When the queers and dopers are given more consideration for their proclivity than what normal folks get, it's clear where this society is headed.  This is not only liberalism gone berserk, but it is what happens when libertarianism gets out of hand.  I don't think it solves anything, but it for sure will create a whole lot of more problems.  Queers already had "partnerships" with all the rights of straight marriage and being able to get married only insults the institution of real marriage.  Making dope legal in small quantity only exacerbates the problem with even more virulent drugs.  Nothing good will come of this.
read this when you get time.  it's about the fallacy of legalizing drugs, and you're right, that dealer who sells MJ also has some stronger stuff in his pocket.
http://www.justthinktwice.com/factsfiction/fiction_drug_legalization_works.html
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline magooch

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 06:00:24 AM »
[quote from YT3)

It SHOULD NOT be the business of the state to tell us what we can eat, drink, smoke, or grow in our garden. I piss on those who want to do that.

Tinkle on folks if you will, but don't be surprised if they take umbrage and possible retribution.
Swingem

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »
I see this as a positive development because the people of Washington decided that's the way they want to live. I don't have a problem with gay marriage as a legal state. If they want all of the burdens and responsibilities of marriage in return for a few advantages, let them have it. Nobody really needs to regard them as married in a sacramental sense if they don't want to.

As for the dope, the war on drugs is a failure and it's time to change. It's good to see these states taking direct aim on federal laws and bureaucracy and pulling the trigger.  We'll see what happens. The same arguments that surround concealed carry surround marijuana use. The critics say it's a disaster and everybody will be smoking dope. That won't happen. Just as concealed carry has not created a "wild west" situation that critics still mystifyingly adhere to despite all evidence being to the contrary.

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 07:03:31 AM »

read this when you get time.  it's about the fallacy of legalizing drugs, and you're right, that dealer who sells MJ also has some stronger stuff in his pocket.
http://www.justthinktwice.com/factsfiction/fiction_drug_legalization_works.html

That's DEA propaganda, right?

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »
There's nothing stronger or more deadly than alcohol, when taken large doses. Look at how the binge drinking phenomenon among kids is killing them all over the country. Any argument that says there's something stronger than marijuana better be considering alcohol and comparing it to heroin and similarly powerful and deadly drugs.

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
Cannabis, in moderate amounts, is a good thing... like a tumbler of good scotch or some very good chocolate with black coffee... not a problem, a thing to be enjoyed. People get all in a twist over things they don't approve of, usually out of ignorance.

Offline FPH

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
Cannabis, in moderate amounts, is a good thing... like a tumbler of good scotch or some very good chocolate with black coffee... not a problem, a thing to be enjoyed. People get all in a twist over things they don't approve of, usually out of ignorance.

I'm all for taxing pot and regulating it.  However, I don't think you could classify it as a "good" thing, as it is reported to be worse than cigarettes for your lungs.

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
I was listening to a forum on meth use and it was quite interesting. We've all seen the pictures of the strung out wasted and toothless people who has ruined their lives with it, but the reality is that most people who use it use it in moderation and do not have problems like this. It's rather like alcohol, where a lot of people use it and only a few ruin their lives with it.

I certainly don't encourage meth use, it is is made of horrifyingly dangerous things, but it is interesting that even a deadly toxic thing like that can be used in moderation temporarily and just for kicks.

Offline FPH

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »
My friend was a crew chief on a chopper in Viet Nam.  He said the only things he has ever been addicted to were Meth. and bubble gum.  He says that was the only way he could stay up for all the operations they had him running.  He cleaned up when he got home, but his mouth is a holy mess.

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »
FPH:

I agree. I hate all that stuff, but people are going to always find a way of getting intoxicated, so we may as well make it as safe for society as possible. We already know that prohibition and imprisonment don't work.  Current situation is tens of thousands killed each year with over a million imprisoned for nonviolent drug offenses. Is legalizing pot going to be worse than that?

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »
A I have said before in other threads, drug laws are way more damaging to the American people than the drugs.
GuzziJohn

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
I just don't see this ever getting any better.
We've had all kinds of illegal drugs around for a very long time.
Seems they just keep coming up with some new drug.
Alcohol has been legal for some time and yet it's not enough.

As for the lifestyle stuff I could care less anymore.
Pandora's box has been opened and it's not going back in.
Not like this stuff wasn't forecasted.
Just my opinion....
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
I'm all for taxing pot and regulating it.  However, I don't think you could classify it as a "good" thing, as it is reported to be worse than cigarettes for your lungs.
I suppose we'll have to put up with taxing and regulating, but I'll hate it... none of their damned business what a man grows in his garden. On issue of lungs... prob not good. There's always vaporizers, along with cakes & pastries  ;)

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »
I have never heard of anyone getting toked up and wanting to go out and beat someone's a$$.  I have however, heard, seen, read in the paper, and watched on the news several cases of alchohol casuing someone to get all violent.

It's a proven fact that people hate change.  It doesnt matter what the change is, people hate it.  Some folks are forever stuck in the 1950s.  Those days are over.  There isnt anything wrong IMO with recreational MJ use and I sincerely hope it becomes legal nation wide.  Alot of folks could use the stress relief.  My job absolutely will not allow me to use it- maybe one day that will change.
It's all a hot mess...........