Author Topic: Michigan might be # 24  (Read 3282 times)

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Michigan might be # 24
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
bugeye , that's correct everyone gets paid the same and everyone works at the slowest mans pace .
I never thought bugeye and I would ever agree on anything but I guess if one looks hard enough they will find common ground.

My experience with union members from the masons union , the carpenters union, and the labor union, have been mostly disappointing to say the least.

Shootall, you hit it right on the head about working at the slowest mans pace, because slow and lazy and whiny is about all I've ever seen from union masons on any concrete pour that I've worked.

I have to say that the labor union does take pretty good care of its' people and I've seen some real hard chargers working for them. But the masons union in LA actually has members that are illegal aliens! How do they get away with this. And their are so many of them that most union masons are lined at the hall just to get two days a week ; three if they're lucky.

Funny thing is that I've seen "imported" (illegal) laborers work circles around union members for half the pay and then when they get into the union, they become worthless.

I've had people telling me to join for years but I've heard too many horror stories about people getting screwed out of benefits when things get rough. I'll manage my own money thanks.

Funny thing is that a master finisher in the union in LA makes around $43 per hour; roughly $320 for an eight hour day. They will take home  a little more than $200 of that and it's a roll of the dice whether he will ever see those beneifits or not depending on circumstances, politics, and work availability. They will actually fine a member if they catch him working on non union jobs, and in order to maintain his membership, he has to put in so many union hours per month.

So what does he do if the union cannot keep him working? They fine him and boot him and he's screwed.

During the boom, when I was working in LA, I was getting paid $300 a day in greenbacks and the crews I worked with were like a crack military unit that was cohesive and could work circles around any larger union crew. And unlike many of the sloppy union masons that I've known, my crews actually could pour a slab or floor FLAT, and could actually broom a straight line and run a trowel flat without leaving any chatter marks. You wouldn't see any crowns in the floor or have puddles forming in the seemingly invisible holes that the massive union crews would leave.

And in all fairness to some of those union masons, many of them could work very hard, but they weren't so hot on working SMART.

We didn't get paid by the hour either. We got paid by the JOB. So if we busted out a certain number of house slabs or so many thousand square feet in less than eight hours, we still got our days wage or we started breaking out sledge hammers and chisels.

Just like communism, unions had all the good intentions in the world and they would seem like a good thing until you factor in that one variable that always seems to screw up everything that is good for all, and that is HUMAN NATURE; or should I say human weakness.

Glad to know that we see somewhat eye to eye on one thing  bugeye.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2012, 12:58:01 AM »
The  right  to  work  states  recruit   corporations   by   incentives.  They  say  come  to  the  sunbelt  where  theres  good  weather  year  round.  We  will  give  you  a  sweetheart  deal on  taxes  . Will  get  our  money   back  from  the  employees  payroll.  These  corporations  get  deals  too  good  to  turn  down.  They  seal  the  deal  when  they  promote  their  non-union  workforce.     

exactly!

i am so glad they come south...instead of over seas
i  hope the rest of those yankee union states don't figure this  out

you are correct unions   and taxes  drive jobs away

And who do you think closes the states lost tax revenue gap when corp tax incentives are implemented?

you can lead a horse to water.....

the taxes are paid by the WORKING MAN  as usual
but  he is a WORKING MAN  not a parasite any more

he also pays his property taxes...because  his house has not been forclosed on
if he is not happy with that.....THEN ITS HIS CHOICE
let him  move to a union state.....let him move to CHINA...they are good communist i hear
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2012, 01:29:37 AM »

This little piece of BS is just that. The union is only required to represent an non union employee up to the point where money gets involved........if it cost the union anything, they can step out at that point.
"
 Just curious about the source of your facts that you base that statement on. Do you work for the postal service in Florida?  Maybe a union steward or business agent for the union?

I work for the government and I talk to my postal carrier. The facts are out there, all you gotta do is look them up. Any other questions?
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2012, 02:45:40 AM »
EPR: Right-To-Work Allows Workers "To Benefit From Union Representation Without Having To Pay For Union Representation." In a February 28, 2011, post on the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR), economist Dean Baker detailed how right-to-work laws "prohibit contracts that require that all the workers who benefit from union representation to pay for union representation." And because unions must legally represent every worker in a bargaining unit, "[t]his means not only that non-members get the same wages and benefits that the union negotiates with the employer, but the union is also obligated to represent any non-member individually if that worker gets in a dispute with the employer over an issue covered in the contract." Baker explained:
For example, if a non-union member is threatened with a discipline action or firing, the union must defend this worker's rights just the same as if they were in the union.
Right-to-work laws prohibit workers from being required to pay for this union representation. What right-to-work laws actually guarantee is the ability for a worker to benefit from union representation without having to pay for union representation.
[CEPR, 2/28/11]
  ( I bet my mailman can beat up your mailman. LOL    ;D ;D  Tobster )

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2012, 02:51:30 AM »
In Va non union workers work for open shops no union. Then there are open shops that have a union often a company union that thru. contracts with the company may repsent all employees . If I were incharge of a union I would think that a great idea as it would be a great recruiting tool. Then there are open shops that only use union labor . So your point makes little sense .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jhm

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2012, 05:48:40 AM »
     Back in the 70s and 80s I worked for GM and the UAW actually spent the majority of their time 98% of it representing 2% of the workforce in the Fleetwood plant, the balance of the employes had NO representation I have seen 600+ grievences WWP just mto get A drunk, or someone who couldnt get to work on a regular basis, poor job performance, etc. etc. and ALWAYS the same bunch of trouble makers, BTW this was the local 15, that were representing their BUDDIES, it was a joke after a while.  Jim

Offline jimster

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
Jimster:  give me the links for your Prop#2 info.
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/nov2012/mich-n19.shtml
“I don’t believe we wouldn’t be standing here in this timeframe if it hadn’t been for Proposition 2 moving ahead,” Snyder said. “If you look at what clearly happened after the election, there was an extreme escalation in discussions on right-to-work that was very divisive. And so the divisiveness was there. And my view is, since it’s here, let’s step up, take some leadership, take a position and get an answer.” Union leaders and Democratic lawmakers, however, were surprised and caught off guard by Snyder’s sudden push for legislation, though the move that was supported by the Koch-funded Americans For Prosperity.