Author Topic: OK guys, a new species to hunt  (Read 389 times)

Offline briarpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
OK guys, a new species to hunt
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:53am PST
Florida issues a call to arms to help remove invasive pythons
By: Pete Thomas, GrindTV.com
Florida is the only state in the U.S. to have a significant invasive snake problem. In fact, parts of the Sunshine State are overrun with Burmese pythons, among the world's largest snakes, which are a threat to native wildlife, pets, and even small children.

It's a problem with no obvious solution, but wildlife officials are getting creative and this week announced the "2013 Python Challenge," a first-of-its-kind competition for hunters to determine who can harvest the most and longest Burmese pythons.

In other words, next month's 30-day contest will be an all-out assault on a species of snake that can grow to about 25 feet (the longest ever captured in Florida measured 17 feet, 7 inches), and one that preys on small mammals, birds, and even small alligators.

Burmese pythons, which are native to India, China, and the Malay Peninsula, have been in Florida at least since the 1980s, having most likely been introduced by people who had owned them as pets.

Though the invasive reptiles can no longer be acquired as pets in Florida, and though it's illegal for them to be transported across state lines, pythons are prolific breeders and are already well-established in south Florida, especially within Everglades National Park.
Various officials display a Burmese python in Florida, during a recent news conference. Credit Carli Segelson
These snakes are masters of camouflage and excellent swimmers and climbers, making them difficult to find and capture. Thus, the call for hunters, armed with firearms and machetes, to fan out within designated areas and hopefully make a dent in the python population.

"The FWC is encouraging the public to get involved in helping us remove Burmese pythons from public lands in south Florida," said Kristen Sommers, head of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Exotic Species Coordination Section. "By enlisting both the public and Florida's python [hunting] permit holders in a month-long competitive harvesting of Burmese pythons, we hope to motivate more people to find and harvest these large, invasive snakes."

Grand prizes of $1,500 are being offered to the persons who harvest the most pythons in a competition for the general public (hunters must register and receive a permit) and established permit holders. Additional prizes of $1,000 will be awarded to hunters who bag the longest python in both categories.

There are a few caveats: Hunters must be at least 18; they must complete a brief online training process before registering; and sign a waiver of liability during registration.

Additionally, they must agree to dispatch the snakes in the most humane manner possible, and to target only Burmese pythons.

The invasive snake issue is so serious that several partners have become involved in the Python Challenge as both a culling effort and an awareness campaign, including the University of Florida, The Nature Conservancy, and Zoo Miami.

The competition kicks off Jan. 12 at the University of Florida's Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center, and concludes Feb. 16 with an awards ceremony at Zoo Miami.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: OK guys, a new species to hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:10:59 AM »
I read about that this morning.  the article said that the 17'7" that you mentioned had 78 eggs in her.
if they are not thinned they'll get a kid soon.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:28:07 AM »
It seems to me with the problem they are causing that they would have a "kill on sight" understanding like we do in Texas concerning feral hogs. Getting a permit to kill an invasive forigen snake seems like a "money shake down" by the State of Florida, of a person actually doing the state a favor by killing the snake. jmo
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:41:05 AM »
 I'm assuming a 12ga and #4 buckshot would be the weapon of choice? Those pythons give me the creeps...

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
I agree with Dee on this. They want you help get rid of snakes then they throw up a high dollar road block.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 08:44:58 AM »
Texas is also having an issue with these "pets" that folks are turning loose. My brother killed a 12 footer last week between Hebbronville and Laredo. He's suppose to turn them into the Game Warden so they can record the kills but even though he shot the head completely off of it, he said the thing started wrapping itself around his arm and it got to be quite a wrestling match. Almost took him to the ground. Said the snake was about 6-8" round at the biggest point and he'll never try to pick a dead one up again. He'll just take a GPS reading and make a phone call.
Now anybody with piranha that would like to turn them loose in the Rio Grande.........

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
Understand one of the recent hurricanes brought Salt Water Crocks up into the Rio Grande, from down Mexico way.  They have established them selves down around Brownsville.

You don't have to get a permit to kill them, you have to get a permit to be eligiable for the prize money.  My buddy that lives in Ft Lauderdale found one in his back yard, he chopped it up with a machete.  He has a bigger peoblem with Iguanias, his wife won't let him kill them.  What she does not know won't hurt her he says.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline FPH

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
Texas is also having an issue with these "pets" that folks are turning loose. My brother killed a 12 footer last week between Hebbronville and Laredo. He's suppose to turn them into the Game Warden so they can record the kills but even though he shot the head completely off of it, he said the thing started wrapping itself around his arm and it got to be quite a wrestling match. Almost took him to the ground. Said the snake was about 6-8" round at the biggest point and he'll never try to pick a dead one up again. He'll just take a GPS reading and make a phone call.
Now anybody with piranha that would like to turn them loose in the Rio Grande.........

Be careful of dead rattlers too.  I picked one up I had just cut the head off.  It struck me 3 times in the forearm.  It may have been just coincidence as it no longer had any heat sensory organs, but it sure got me with it's bloody stump.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »
I don't pick snakes up, dead or alive. If God wanted'em picked up, He'd a put handles on'em.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 09:58:44 AM »
Exactly Dee.  ;)
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member