Author Topic: Found everyone- new rifle  (Read 790 times)

Offline DAD

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Found everyone- new rifle
« on: February 12, 2004, 02:51:38 PM »
Made it over here from Marlin and H and R. My name was DAD and I lucked out And got DAD on this forum! Went to my favorite gun shop and found a 223 bull barrell handi-rifle. I was also found one with a Green lamitate stock. I'm going to get it out of lay away next month. Will shoot it for awhile and send it away for the 7-08 barrel for hunting. I wonder what scope to put on it? I don' know wheather to get 6x18x40AO scope or just get a good quality 3X9X40.  Any comments on this will be helpfull. :D

Offline stomp

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:59:49 PM »
Hey Dad

I thought I was the only one that puts guns on layaway :lol:  Boy do I feel better now, good luck with your 223 Bull. I would go with the 6x18x40AO scope if it was me, but that is just my opinion. :D
Be carefull where you shoot!
Only whats done for Christ will last.. <><

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 04:05:35 PM »
Hi DAD.  Glad you made it.  As far as scopes go, unless you're going after 500 yard gophers, I feel we tend to over magnify.  It really depends on what you're going to do and what you're willing to spend.  I recently run the gamut on scopes.  Tasco, Simmons, Leupold, and Nikon.  Dollar for dollar I'm having trouble justifying buying anything above the Simmons Aetec.  Good clear optics right to the edges.  Two minor drawbacks.  One, they're heavy, 17 ozs.  Two, the center posts on the reticle will be a bit wide for any real long range shot at very small targets.  Don't misunderstand me, the Leupold and Nikon are great scopes, but I don't believe they're enough better than the Aetec to justify the cost.  You can buy the 2 X 10 X 44 at SWFA for $129.   BTW the Tasco is a throwaway I bought just to have glass on a rifle at the range.  Just my two cents.
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline elblerinnv

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 07:42:14 AM »
Glad to see you here, DAD.  Warthog has a point about the overmagnifing that most of us seem to do.  I've backed off on that in the last few years and am enjoying the greater user friendliness of the lower powers.  Even my .220 Swift Mauser now carries a Belarus 8X that is clear and bright and holds zero.  Those scopes from Russia and the Belarus seem to offer really good value for the dollar, so far the only really usefull scopes under a C note, that I have found.  That's new scopes only of course.  The old Weaver's found on the auction sites are a really good buy too.  Got my ex-red scopes at local gunshows, but they can be had by mail from www.kalinka.com, I think.

As far as where the cost/benifits line crosses, I pick Burris.  Can't see any reason to any higher in cost.

Respectfully,
Ernie

Offline elblerinnv

Oops
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 07:45:14 AM »
Oops.  That's www.kalinkaoptics.com

Abashedly,
Ernie :oops:

Offline DAD

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 08:03:44 AM »
I'm thinking about sending it in right away to get the 7mm-08 barrel. Then asking for the trigger to be fixed. The factory said 4-6 weeks turn a round time. That would put it around the end of March first of April. That way I can have the rifle for summer shooting.

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 03:04:44 PM »
I JUST GOT MY TRACKER II RECEIVER BACK WITH 2 NEW BBLS. NEF RECEIVED THE ORDER ON 1/12, AND I GOT IT ALL BACK ON 2/13!

IT'S TRUE THAT WE TEND TO OVERMAGNIFY WITH OUR SCOPES.
I PUT A WEAVER CLASSIC K-6 ON MY 7mm-08. A LITTLE STRONGER THAN A 4X, BUT NOT OVERKILL :roll:

(I HAVE NOT FIRED THIS COMBINATION YET)

DOES ANYONE ELSE USE A WEAVER SCOPE?
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline DAD

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 03:13:44 PM »
My daughter has a K4 on her dear rifle and likes it.