Author Topic: Topper chop or AAC rifle?  (Read 876 times)

Offline colonelsanders

• Trade Count: (5)
Topper chop or AAC rifle?
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
Alright guys, I need some advice. I been eyeballing the new AAC blackout, but got this old Topper in 30-30. Like the look of the 16 inch AAC. My ? is should I cut the Topper and restock it or sell it and get the blackout? Read a lot about the 158 Topper and it seems very well liked, but I've got other of 30-30s, and want to do something different. What you guys think, sell or chop?

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: Topper chop or AAC rifle?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
I myself would not chop the topper barrel. I have the topper and loaded with 130 gr spire points the barrel length gives you a little more burn time for a better traj with the bullet...
Many are excited about the AAC but the talk is if you dont plan to put a can on it and use it sub sonic then your 30-30 loaded down can do much of the same thing...  I think a fun new caliber to work on loads for sounds fun BUT a topper barrel is not a barrel I would chop. I would chop a modern 30-30 barrel with no guilt what so ever but the light to carry topper is a nice barrel as is.  Just my thought. thejanitor

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
Sell Topper as is.  Use money to buy another barrel.  Topper is worth much more uncut.  Will sell fast I'd think.  JMHO...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »
.......BUT a topper barrel is not a barrel I would chop. I would chop a modern 30-30 barrel with no guilt what so ever.......

I agree 100%.  The nice, older slender barrels are not easy to find.  I would have no compunctions about shortening a newer one.

I have a newer 30-30 barrel and it's a shame that it is so beefy.  With a 22" barrel on the break-open action it's not terribly long overall, but the thought has crossed my mind to cut it down to reduce the weight some.  Wouldn't be a consideration on a Topper.

The 30-30 is a very versatile cartridge with brass fairly easy to locate.  Outside of the "normal" 30-30 loadings, I have loaded Sierra 110 grain HPs to shoot pretty flat and 165 grain cast to shoot pretty quietly.  I have not read up on the AAC so I don't know how versatile it is in comparison.

If you have other 30-30s, and handload, you have the components and dies already.  Shortening a newer 30-30 to play with cast, sub-sonic, Handi(er) configuration might be a cheaper and easier way to scratch that itch.  I am not advocating or suggesting being practical here - just a quicker, easier route to your entertainment objectives.  I have guns I have no practical use for but they are fun to play with.

Offline colonelsanders

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 04:49:33 AM »
Gotta say that's pretty much the responses I was expecting. The old Topper is more valuable as is being their not made that way no more.. the new Blackout just looks like a lot of fun. Think I'm leaning more toward selling, so there is no guilt of ruining an old favorite.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
When considering stuff like that, I always ask myself,"well, do they make it anymore?" and the answer is usually pretty obvious what to do, or not do  ;) .
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 03:58:23 AM »
you wanna have some fun with that topper? load up some 125gr nosler bt's over h335,i'm holding about 3in groups at 300yds with mine,problem i have now is i'm runnin out of barrel (can't make anymore velocity) thinking about trying a faster burning powder (not sure which one yet)

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:21:17 AM »
Sell your Topper... buy a modern SB2 .30/30, chop it to 16.25" and drop it into a textured black Boyd's thumbhole stock (which you can cut down if you wish or simply buy a youth synthetic stock) and work up some Trailboss loads for it... something like this ( ;) ;D );

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline colonelsanders

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:00:07 AM »
Thats a sharp looking Handi. I got the Topper barrel listed in the classifieds, but no hits on it yet. Thats a Boyds stock? Ive shot everything from 90 grainers up to 180s in 30-30, just want somethin new to play with and really thinkin it needs to be that 300 Blackout

Offline jparedes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »
Not hijacking this chat, but I have to ask:  Where can one purchase the AAC Handy?

Thanks.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:36:15 AM »
I'm very glad you did not chop the Topper!  Mine just shoots way too good at 1/2" at 100 yds to change in any way.  As for the AAC, I still have trouble understanding why anyone would want a 30 cal gun that only shoot a 30-30 half load.  Yes, they are all fun to shoot but such a limited capability will get boreing quickly.  Isn't the 30-30 considered a minimum for hunting for most of us?  If you want to shoot something slow that can still take down game get a 45-70 loaded to trapdoor velocities.  Just my 2 cts.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

I agree 44 Man. The only reason for the Blackout is for shooting in an AR. Other than that I think the .30-30 will work as is.

I am wondering what a 220 gr bullet will do in a .30-30 though. Maybe with a small charge of Bullseye.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff