Author Topic: 44 mag case cracked WW super  (Read 600 times)

Offline 3006softpoint

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
44 mag case cracked WW super
« on: December 10, 2012, 04:05:47 PM »
Have a friend that called today and ask why a 44mag case  he was shooting ,that was reloaded 4 times cracked around a knurled part of the case ( The knurled part is about half way down the 44 mag case). On a WW super case...I know this was a topic years ago even had pictures on here. but can't remember if it was a pressure problem or poor case quality... Its higher than the web area where it cracked.. Any help. Dale

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: 44 mag case cracked WW super
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
It was probably a defective case.  Uncommonly, I've had cases on brand new factory ammunition crack.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
Cracking of straight wall pistol cases is fairly common with cases used for multiple reloads.  Seems to me cases with knurling (used to prevent bullets from seating deeper in the case under recoil) seem to crack more often.

Factors include pressure of load, size of chambers, how small a piece of brass is being re-sized, amount of case mouth bell, brass hardness, etc.  A crack in the upper body of the case is not a big deal, from a safety point of view, and should not be confused with a failure in the web, which is a whole different matter.

When loading straight wall cases for practice handgun loads, I reuse them until the primer pockets get loose, or the cases split.  For some reason, it seems more common in nickel plated cases.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:01 AM »
I agree with Bigeasy 100%.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:21:59 AM »
I agree also but would add the knurled ring sometimes is used to ID loads . If you look around you will see cases with rings in different locations and smoetimes more than one ring.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 03:53:56 AM »
Same here....more cracking with knurled ring cases and nickel plated for me.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:34 AM »
It happens, only four loadings is pretty early, but nothing unusual. Cracks in revolver cases are not a big deal, unlike some rifle cases that may stick in the chamber, and be a pain to remove.