Author Topic: Gun buy back finds rare, valuable WW11 machine gun.  (Read 555 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun buy back finds rare, valuable WW11 machine gun.
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:44:56 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/woman-turns-in-valuable-wwii-gun-at-police-station-weapon-buy-back/

Woman Turns in Valuable WWII Gun at Police Station Weapon Buy-Back    Just like a scene out of “Antiques Roadshow,” a woman in Hartford, Conn., turned in an old rifle to her local police station’s gun buy-back,  only to discover the gun was worth anywhere from $20,000 to $25,000. The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, inherited the gun from her father who had brought it home with him from Europe as a memento from World War II.

The two officers conducting the gun buy-back, who are resident gun experts for the Hartford Police Department, informed the owner she was in possession of a Nazi Assault Rifle, the first of its kind, that dates back to 1944.

The gun is called a Sturmgewehr 44, literally meaning “storm rifle,” and is the first “modern assault rifle ever made, eventually replaced by the AK 47 in 1947 by Russia, who copied the German design of the Sturmgewehr 44,” Officer Lewis Crabtree, one of the two officers who discovered the gun, told ABC News.
“It’s like finding the Babe Ruth of baseball cards,” said Officer John Cavanna. “The rarity, it was made for such a very short period.”
Most people, however, who aren’t avid gun fans would have no idea what role this gun played in history.
“If you were to look at the gun and didn’t know anything about guns, you would think it was garbage,” Crabtree said.

That is essentially what the owner thought the gun was, bringing it to the station knowing full well it would be put into a smelter, melting the gun down into an iron brick.
“People turn in guns for a variety of reasons,” Cavanna told ABC. “They don’t have a good way to secure it, they have kids around their home, or they don’t know how to use it.  This is an anonymous way for someone to take an unwanted firearm and get it off the streets. We then give them a $50 or $100 gift card to Wal-Mart.”

Crabtree attributes gun accidents to ignorance and carelessness. The anonymous gun buy-back program is aimed at preventing people from running into potentially dangerous situations with a gun they don’t know how to use or work.
This seems to be the reason the woman who dropped off the historic rifle.
“Her father passed away. The gun was in her closet,” Cavanna said. “She did not know it was a machine gun.

“If the gun had been in the closet loaded, any second you could hit the wrong level and discharge a fatal round,” he said of the Sturmgewehr 44.
This German-made machine gun can fire 500 rounds in minutes, according to Cavanna, who is also a gun range master.

At the time the officers received the gun, it was in such disrepair that it was inoperable, unable to shoot a bullet even if the gun had been loaded. Cavanna said ammunition would have to be especially made for this gun.
The unnamed owner of the gun has left the valuable artifact at the police station for safe keeping.

“We did not take the gun in for the gun buy-back program,” Crabtree said. “If we took it as part of the buy-back, we would have no choice but to destroy the gun. We don’t want to destroy that gun.”
The owner intends to sell the Sturmgewehr 44.
“It sounds like her family could use the money,” Cavanna
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline woodsie57

Re: Gun buy back finds rare, valuable WW11 machine gun.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:13:59 AM »
More than anything,an example of honesty and integrity on the part of the cops involved. And, certain to cause some anti gun fanatics to flip out! Love it!

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »
Now that was fantastic! Those cops could have simply given her a gift certificate and destroyed the gun. Instead they did the right thing! :)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
wonder if the ATF will have any reason to get involved ? Was it registered before ? can it be registered now ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 06:33:51 AM »
A class III dealer could buy it for resale I'm thinking. 

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:37:02 AM »
I hope it works out for her. But didn't all auto's have to be registered by a certian date ? or is it just made before a certian date ?

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 06:40:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure it might fall under the "Curio and relic" rules. Ammo is no longer available for it, and article indicates that it's non functional.

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:22:11 AM »
Back when I was an Airman and involved with a wild west reenactment group.  A bunch of us decided we needed a cut off shotgun for some of the routines.  We took an old single shot shotgun and cut the barrel off to 10 inches.  We cut the stock off to just a pistol grip.  Then found out OOOOOOOOps we had an illigal gun.  I dis assembled it and threw it in a box meaning to get rid of it.  20 years later I'm sitting in DC when they offered $100.00 for any gun that was shootable, $50.00 for non working guns, no questions asked.  Mike Tyson was putting up the money for this buy.  Over the years I had picked up some parts guns, and decided to get rid of them as well.  I hauled them down to the local police station.  They went wild when I pulled the parts to the old shotgun out and assembled it and showed them it worked.  I made enough off my old junk to go buy a new Stoger 12ga skeetgun.  About $350.00 at the time.

But while I was there I saw little old ladies come in with real German WWII Lugers, Japanese rifles and pistols from WWII.  All were thrown in the pile to go to the smelter.  Even saw a few American Classics, old Winchesters and Trapdoor Springfields.  Remember seeing a few AR-15s.  One AR-15, the officer told the woman that brought it in that since it did not have a magazine it was a non shooting gun so it was only worth $50.00.  They laughed when she left.  Also saw hunting rifles brought in.  One old Grandmother said the gun belonged to her grandson, he bought it to go hunting out west.  She did not want him going, and she did not want a gun in the house so she slipped it out to get rid of it so he would not go out and kill some little deer.  She told the officers she did not want any money to just melt it down before it killed someone.  Bet her Grandson was upset when he missed his rifle.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »
What was the ammo for it?
GuzziJohn

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:01:21 AM »
GuzziJohn

Donno but the article said:
At the time the officers received the gun, it was in such disrepair that it was inoperable, unable to shoot a bullet even if the gun had been loaded. Cavanna said ammunition would have to be especially made for this gun.
The unnamed owner of the gun has left the valuable artifact at the police station for safe keeping.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
GuzziJohn

7.92 mm kurz (short or 7.92 X 33 mm
It is aval on the net .