Author Topic: Aldi supermarket  (Read 438 times)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Aldi supermarket
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »
My wife has been shopping at a chain called Aldi, which sells off-brand groceries at bargain prices. So far, it's been pretty decent. She got some spaghetti sauce and a package of dried tortellini yesterday and both products smelled so strange that I would not eat them. The cooked tortellini had a factory smell to it, and the spaghetti sauce had a rancid dog kibble smell. The ingredients on the spaghetti sauce looked entirely wholesome, but I cannot believe that it was indeed wholesome.

I generally do not complain about the quality of groceries because it's hard to find bad stuff anymore, but this really got my attention.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Aldi supermarket
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »
never had a problem with 'em yet
other than their chips.
they're the only grocery store close
to me that doesn't have all the signage
in spanish and plays mex music over a
loudspeaker in the parking lot.
their logic on some of their stocked items
escapes me though.
stollen and other bavarian-type deserts
don't sell well in a neighborhood of mostly
south-of-the-border illegal aliens. last
week they must have had a pallet of it
to throw away.
had no problem so far with any of their
dried pasta products.
their ice cream leaves a lot to be desired
compared to blue bell. but then, so does
all the rest.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Poopers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 01:02:18 PM »
Im all for generic and cheap, but Im finding more and more often that cheap foods ( especially seafood ! ) equals Made in China/Thailand. No thanks

Offline powderman

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »
The closest Aldis to us is 40 miles. Love the store and prices. Never had a prob with anything we've bought from them. Only complaint I've had is rarely more than 1 checkout open. My  wife actually prefers their asparagus to the higher priced stuff. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
My folks went there all the time.  They were living on their Social Security checks and had to conserve all the time.  Aldi's was the cheapest place in town.  I went with Dad a few times and did not like the items they carried.

My biscuits have to say Pillsberry, my cereal must say Kelloggs, and my jelly has to say Smuckers, period.  so when I get there I go to Krogers and get what I want.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »
    I have been shopping at Aldi since i retired 4 years ago. Haven't found anything yet that wasn't edible. Have to admit their spaghetti sauce isn't as good as Prego. A lot of my canned goods i buy at Dollar General.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 12:18:49 AM »
  We shop at Aldis..and are generally happy with their products..a few excepted.. same with another local store of the same type, called Save-A-Lot..most products OK, a few in each store not so good.
  One thing to keep in mind..Aldi is a German based company, thus some German foods and other stuff from Europe.  I don't like Aldi's coffee for instance..but I didn't like the German coffee whan I lived in Germany..an acquired taste, I guess.Some of the German products which I did acquire a taste for, are available ONLY at Aldi's.
     The Save-A-Lot stores (headquartered in Earth City, MO) is very similar, in that a grocery cart load of the same size costs 2 to 2.5 as much at the local supermarkets.  While I don't like Save-A-Lot condensed milk for instance (tastes reconstituted), their fresh meat dept is rated by all I know , as the best in the area. 
  You just have to try their respective products, decide which you like ....and save..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 01:28:16 AM »
That's been our experience with Aldi too. There's a learning curve to shopping there, but it is worthwhile.