Author Topic: question on German 4A Reticle on Sightron SI  (Read 616 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
question on German 4A Reticle on Sightron SI
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:53:12 AM »
I like to ask any one here like the above german 4A reticle for average deer hunting let say out to 200 yards?
I did read they are excellent in low light conditions but I wonder how much different are they compared to the duplex reticle?
I have a mil dot on my 30-06 from Sightron that I really like but out to 200 yards the set up is excellent.
I was thinking on the Sightron German 4A scope

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: question on German 4A Reticle on Sightron SI
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:48:02 AM »
I wouldn't worry about low light to much with the S1. They aren't super bright or super clear. Not knocking them, they are a reasonable price for what they are. A fellow that can tell a difference between the glass on a S1 or VX-1 is most likely full of beans because Leupold buys their glass from Sightron and has for years. On the reticule it just boils down to what you like. At 200 yards you probably wont need a ballistic reticule or a HHR. The german is just a duplex with the top wire thin. So it would be 3/4 of what a duplex is. You would have 3 wide dark areas and one you can't see at night. So that makes it harder to center a shot. A real german post where the post goes to the centerline is much better at night than their post or a duplex in my opinion.
Molon labe

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:31 AM »
I've been eyeing that very scope in part because of a curiosity for years about that reticule. I think Michigan deer hunters used to favor that style many years ago. It would seem to me that in low light a shooter's eye would have a natural tendency to position the target (deer) in the center of the thick part of the wires, much like a peep sight.
  Leupold may well buy glass from Sightron but how does one know the glass in the Sl is the same as used in the Vl? I have a Sightron Sll Big Sky and so far it has been a good scope and their warranty is supposed to be good. If the Sl is equal to the Leupold Vl and I can buy it for 79 bucks ........................

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
well I went with the sightron SI
yep 79.95

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 05:20:46 AM »
Let us know what you think of it when it arrives. I have always been curious about a dot reticule and of course they have a deal on those also. So many scopes,so little time!! ( and even less money)

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »
Scope came in yesterday I was surprise they also came with front and rear flip up scope covers.
The clarity is excellent the German post is nice a  feature they seem now to be made in the philiappines my older SI  mil-dot has made in Japan
Hey for 79.95 I think it a great deal

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »

Sightron has the market cornered for the best Japanese glass. They signed a contract with the Japanese manufacturer years ago. Let's say the Nikon Monarch for example. They can either buy the SII comparable glass from sightron or they can pay a lot more for the German equivalent. The monarchs are made in the phillipines as well. Actually they are made in the same plant as the sightrons and a whole bunch of other brands. I imagine most of them will switch to China for assembly when they get their QC up. Phillipeans doesn't really mean lesser quality, just cheaper labor. Like the Japanese car plants here, in the Phillipeans the Japanese bosses stay on their butts for quality and efficiency.

Tobster I think the above kind of answered what you asked. But anyhow leupold has 2 choices for quality glass. Buy from sightron or raise the prices considerably to the consumer and buy from Germany. I hope they don't do the latter. I wouldn't even be able to afford the used ones then.  :D

Molon labe