Author Topic: Cold snap  (Read 341 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Cold snap
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:37:07 AM »
I'm sitting here in my florida room listing to the Sandhills flying over and enjoying my coffee and the coolest morning we've had for several days. It's 60 deg. this morning.  :o it's blowing & snowing in my old village in Alaska. But here I sit in the sunny south in my shorts & t-shirt.

I know salmon & halibut are good but I really enjoyed the fresh grouper I fried last night. In a few minutes the cow parade will start as the herd drifts out into the pastures to graze for the day. Only noise is the traffic of comunters out on the hard road about a mile away. And the birds singing for the joy of a new day.

Blessings to you all,  :)
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Re: Cold snap
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:52:10 AM »
You too have seen the light! I'm part way there myself, but still have roots on the frozen toondra.

I grew up down there and I remember as a kid that people would keep their kids home from school when it got below 60F-- too cold! It's true, and it wasn't just a few families. It was a lot.

What part of the state are you in? I'm on the panhandle.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »
Centeral Florida Conan, Citrus county.  :)

I grew up in Florida too, but left seeking the adventure of far away places. Now as I entered my golden years we decided to come home.  :)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:49:02 AM »
Nice place! I hope you like to fish.

Offline magooch

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:15 AM »
Yeah, but you guys are probably forced to eat those tree ripened oranges and put on sun block and all that sort of thing.
Swingem

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »
Magooch, I still ordered my Florida oranges from a grove when I lived in Alaska. Just had them shipped up. A large box of deluxe navels was about $40 with shipping a little over $100.  ;)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »
I knw a lady that buys Colorado peaches that way. They are always magnificent. Yes, they are expensive, but it's once a year and she really enjoys it.  I don't know what it costs, probably well under $140, though because she's in the lower 48.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »
OK Guys, rub it in.  We just came off a winter storm advisory.  It warmed up to 20 above zero, and started snowing Tuesday.  Wednesday I got my car stuck in my buddies drive way, he had not plowed.  I plowed my driveway three times in three days.  The snow burum on one side is shoulder high, I'm 6'2".  We went from a snow deficiet to past average snow fall the first day, then it really started snowing.  It's now stopped, actually stopped last night.  So now the temps are supposed to go back down to 40 below tonight. 

I'm flying out at noon Friday.  Going to Virgina first, then to Tennessee.  On the 31st the wife and son are flying back to Alaska, I'm going to Florida.  I'll be bouncing between Ft Lauderdale and Tampa, with some time around Ocala, and the Keys.  Might ride my bike to Texas, depends on the weather and how I feel.  I love shooting Texas Hogs. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
PastorP
Don't get to heady---Fla.the highest per capita death rate in the nation.
UH---well, er
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
WilliamLayton,

It's almost comical too. I checked the death rate of the Minnesota town I live in and it is improbably low, more like impossibly low. I checked some towns in Florida and the rates are improbably high, as in guaranteed death. Essentially what's happening is that people raise their kids here and work, and then they realize that without kids they don't need a good school system, and being retired they don't need good employers, so they consider the weather and the tax climate, and they leave. And they go to Florida, Texas, or Arizona.

My old barber, before he fully retired, lived near Brownsville Tx part of the year and everyone-- everyone!!!-- in the trailer park was from Minnesota.

The IRS publishes an interactive map that shows where people move from and move to. It's fun to play with it and see the movement southward out of Minnesota. Quite a few move to Colorado too.

So one reason for the high death rate is Florida is that people go there to spend the rest of their lives.

One interesting possible myth is that nobody dies at Disney World. Rumor has it that if somebody has a tragic episode and is near death there, they are kept on life support until after they are off the property. So if you want to live forever, go to Disney World and stay there.

When I was a kid, St. Petersburg near Tampa was a major retirement community, with lots of "oldsters" sunning themselves and enjoying life. The Kids and the Kubs were baseball teams that required all players to be at least 75. The town's nickname was "the home of the newly wed and the nearly dead". Ian Fleiming featured it prominently in his thrilling and delightful novel Live And Let Die, where James Bond and Felix Leiter are afraid to fire their guns because the shots might give someone a heart attack. The drama in that book is about gold smuggling, not geriatrics.

A lot of life-long Floridians I have known moved to North Carolina, northern Georgia, and eastern Tennessee. Can't say that I blame them either. It's good to have a change of scenery in life.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
William,
Since I was born & raised here would my death add to the mortality statsics. I figured I just came home to die.  ;D
 You know if everybody died where they were born the mortality rate everywhere would be 100%.

Regards,

Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »
Since I don't know what part of Fla. you moved to---I am going to make this suggestion.
Check the mortality rate where you live and if it is high--find a place with a lower mortality rate. ???
The real, best thought on this subject---and it is not a morbid one---do what the Lord suggests. Live each day as it were your last, enjoy the fruits the Lord has provided, give praise and thanks to Him. He is the onethat deserves it.
I suspect that you do that---the rest is just funin.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD