Author Topic: 460 S&W recipe  (Read 382 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
460 S&W recipe
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:58 AM »
I need reloading info for the 460S&W.  The data should be for the 20" Encore barrel.  What powder and primer and bullets?  Need this for a friend.  I think he is shoot at 240 grain bullet.  I know it is less than 300 gr.  Intended use is for whitetail.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: 460 S&W recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:34:01 AM »
1.  The barrel length doesn't matter.  What is good for a 5 inch barrel should also be good for a 20 inch barrel.

2.  So you "think" your friend is going to shoot 240 grain bullets but aren't sure but know they'll be less than 300 grains?  How about having your friend buy a reloading manual or consult Hodgdon's web site for loads?

3.  As long as they're made out of lead and/or copper, any bullet out of a 460 S&W Magnum would work for deer.  I would avoid aluminum and plastic bullets.

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 05:48:49 AM »
I need reloading info for the 460S&W.  The data should be for the 20" Encore barrel.  What powder and primer and bullets?  Need this for a friend.  I think he is shoot at 240 grain bullet.  I know it is less than 300 gr.  Intended use is for whitetail.

Charles. If you are an experienced reloader and have any manuals, you already have all the info you need. If not, the Hodgdon web site will give you all the info you need. If you are not an experienced reloader, you have no business stuffin' .460 ammo for a friend. If and when, you ever figure out what bullets your friend intends to use, one thing to remember for decent terminal performance on deer sized game is to use a .45 caliber bullet designed for .460 velocities. Many of the .45 caliber bullets are designed for the much milder velocities of the .45 Colt and do not perform well outside that parameter. With no cylinder gap, and not being ported, upper level revolver loads will be brutal in the Encore. I know, my son had one. Start at the lower end and load for top accuracy and not top velocities.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »
Been reloading for 40 years.  My manuals are older than the 460S&W.  Only straight wall I have ever loaded is 38 spl. 
Shot the 460 carbine once at range.  Factory ammo.  Shoulder still hurts.  He can have it.  He hunts in Ohio however.