Author Topic: H&R Pardner Turkey Vs....  (Read 2637 times)

Offline evan1395

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • If you're gonna be dumb, Ya gotta be tough!
H&R Pardner Turkey Vs....
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »
So after the holidays, I plan on buying a shotgun. I'm trying to keep it a single shot or an over/under.
Right now i'm debating between the H&R Pardner Turkey  (With Mossy Oak Finish) and 3.5" Chamber.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-HRSB1F12

Or I'm really liking this over/under made by Tri-Star (Has anyone heard of this company)? I have never shot an over/under but like the idea better than a traditional double barrel that is a side by side. How hard is it to become accustomed to shooting a over/under? I imagine it being quite a bit different with having one barrel on top of the other.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/78854#

Reviews on any/both ?

Thanks,
-Evan
This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
Re: H&R Pardner Turkey Vs....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
There not much different than a single shot they there usually different chokes in different barrels unless you change them out I have 3 and there all great bird guns I usually run modified and full chokes in mine but the H&R turkey gun is a great shooting shotgun too I've shot a few and I'm planning on getting one
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »
There not much different than a single shot they there usually different chokes in different barrels unless you change them out I have 3 and there all great bird guns I usually run modified and full chokes in mine but the H&R turkey gun is a great shooting shotgun too I've shot a few and I'm planning on getting one

I figured the Turkey was the same as the orginal single shot pardners. But camo stock and foregrip and a 24" barrel. It comes with different chokes?
This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 03:30:22 AM »
I was speaking of the O/U guns but the Parsees are all mostly the sawn and the turkey gun only comes with one choke
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 04:05:40 AM »
Never one to spend a lot of money just to get a second shot so I'm mainly a Pardner shooter.  The O/U does give you an instant choice of choke and or shot load that can be an advantage though.

Never found a price on that TriStar anyway.

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
Never one to spend a lot of money just to get a second shot so I'm mainly a Pardner shooter.  The O/U does give you an instant choice of choke and or shot load that can be an advantage though.

Never found a price on that TriStar anyway.

I got a local quote on that TriStar for somewhere around $400. The Pardner Turkey is only wanting about $250. I love my single shot rifles, so i'm sort of leaning torwards that Turkey Break Barrel!

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 05:10:00 AM »
I don't think you could go wrong with a Pardner, especially if you got one with interchangeable chokes.

I have heard of Tri-Star and handled a couple in the gun store, they seem to be made pretty good for a Chinese gun.

I'm not trying to bash O/U's but I could never hit anything with the bottom barrel.  I had a Traditions field grade 12 ga. O/U.  As much as I loved the gun and the way it looked I could not hit anything unless I shot it with the top barrel!  Needless to say I ended up selling it.

Of course if you are looking at a camo gun, fine bluing and engraved receivers are not high on your priority list anyway.  You could get any Pardner and paint it the way you want.

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »
I don't think you could go wrong with a Pardner, especially if you got one with interchangeable chokes.

I have heard of Tri-Star and handled a couple in the gun store, they seem to be made pretty good for a Chinese gun.

I'm not trying to bash O/U's but I could never hit anything with the bottom barrel.  I had a Traditions field grade 12 ga. O/U.  As much as I loved the gun and the way it looked I could not hit anything unless I shot it with the top barrel!  Needless to say I ended up selling it.

Of course if you are looking at a camo gun, fine bluing and engraved receivers are not high on your priority list anyway.  You could get any Pardner and paint it the way you want.

Very true BW. I was watching people online not really being able to become accustomed to the underside barrel. I had a feeling I would be no different. I'm sure it does throw your line of sight off quite a bit when trying to aim high to compensate for the barrel being on bottom. I read the same thing and heard it quite a bit in person.
I really do dig the Pardners. I already have a .45-70 Handi and my Sportster 17 should be in next week (already 2 single shot break barrels). So why not buy a nice little 12 Gauge to join the fam ! If I feel like I do want a pump later, I can always pick up the Pump Model.

I was unaware TriStar was from China, that kind of a turn off on the gun. The single shot pardners are made here in the states right? Just not the Pumps?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »
Single shot H&Rs are made in the US, current production pumps and recent semi-autos have been imports.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
Single shot H&Rs are made in the US, current production pumps and recent semi-autos have been imports.

Tim

Thank ya Quick. What do you think of getting the Turkey Pardner with full choke for flying fowl and skeet/trap shooting?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
Best let someone else answer that, I haven't shot flying fowl for years other than pheasant and some trap with a 20ga flintlock trade gun about 15-20yrs ago, rest of my shotgun shooting has been called turkeys for the last 20yrs or so.  ;)

Tim

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Ok forget the flying fowl part XD. Is a full choke really intended for skeet? Or do people usually like a wider spread? Like a modified or whatever..

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
Skeet is usually shot with more open chokes and Trap with tighter ones.  I know a Skeet 1 choke us more open then improved cyl.  Since I've never gotten a decent recipe for "clay pigeons" I tend to favor a modified choke

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:22:22 AM »
Skeet is usually shot with more open chokes and Trap with tighter ones.  I know a Skeet 1 choke us more open then improved cyl.  Since I've never gotten a decent recipe for "clay pigeons" I tend to favor a modified choke

Well I was just informed by someone that the Pardner Turkeys Chokes are interchangable. I thought it came with a FIXED Full Choke. A gentleman told me you can swap them out. That is a HUGE relief for me. I really loved the look of this H&R but hated the fact I was gonna be stuck with one style choke.
Needless to say, that was music to my ears. I believe I found my shotgun boys! :D
Not mine, but damn does it look nice!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:55 AM »
Evan, page 27 of the 2012 catalog states the 10ga Pardner Turkey comes with a screw-in xtra full choke, and the 12ga has a fixed full choke, the website sorta says the same thing, but they don't indicate fixed on the 12ga.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerTurkey.asp

http://www.digitaleditiononline.com/publication/?i=89652&pre=1

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 07:47:26 AM »
Evan, page 27 of the 2012 catalog states the 10ga Pardner Turkey comes with a screw-in xtra full choke, and the 12ga has a fixed full choke, the website sorta says the same thing, but they don't indicate fixed on the 12ga.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerTurkey.asp

http://www.digitaleditiononline.com/publication/?i=89652&pre=1

Than it is a fixed full choke -.- Damn it! lol.

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
Is there any way you can look at the gun you intend to buy?  You should be able to tell easily by looking at the muzzle end of the barrel. . .could be a older or different version.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
Some accessory barrels have screw-in tubes.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
I have the H&R turkey guns in 12ga and 10ga, if you are serious about blowing up turkeys, you want the 10ga, recoil is nothing more than a 3.5" 12. The 10ga takes chokes and I shoot the 2 1/2oz @ 1240fps nitros and have a turkey destroyer out to 70 yds. It is also drilled and tapped for a scope which any serious turkey gun also has.

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
I have the H&R turkey guns in 12ga and 10ga, if you are serious about blowing up turkeys, you want the 10ga, recoil is nothing more than a 3.5" 12. The 10ga takes chokes and I shoot the 2 1/2oz @ 1240fps nitros and have a turkey destroyer out to 70 yds. It is also drilled and tapped for a scope which any serious turkey gun also has.
I'm just looking for a nice (and good looking) single shot skeet shotgun from H&R. I don't want the Topper or Topper Deluxe, I like the pardner turkey with camo in 12G. I suppose I just need to find an accespry barrel I like in length with screw in chokes.

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »
any gunsmith can tread the barrel to take choke tubes for $50 give or take.  h&r web sight.. 24" 12g barrel 31/2 chamber screw in choke tube ( sold separately ) $75  imho its a wash
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:13 AM »
I'm not sure what you do not like about the Topper or Topper deluxe, (I never really liked the black stock and silver finish) but I think once they made a version that was blued with brown walnut stock.  Topper Deluxe Classic I think?  Chime in here Quick!

I have a 16 ga. that has brown walnut checkered stock and a beautiful blued vent rib barrel.  The vent rib is stamped Simmons Barrel Co.  Either someone sent it to Simmons for a custom barrel or it was a special run from the factory.  Maybe there are more out there. . .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
I love my Topper Deluxe Classic for turkeys, never shot a vent rib gun for trap tho, but unfortunately the Toppers are hard to find now that they've been discontinued, so it's prolly a moot point.  :-\

Tim

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »
Not trying to hijack this thread, but Tim what is the difference in the TDC?  Does it have choke tubes or fixed?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 05:41:10 AM »
Tubes, vent rib and checkered walnut stock, no paint.  ;)

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/topper.asp

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »
any gunsmith can tread the barrel to take choke tubes for $50 give or take.  h&r web sight.. 24" 12g barrel 31/2 chamber screw in choke tube ( sold separately ) $75  imho its a wash
So it'd be in my better interest to buy the Turkey 12G, trim the barrel down to my desired length, then go see a gunsmith and have him thread the end for chokes?
 It'd end up being cheaper than buying a whole new barrel through H&R. Plus then they have to fit them at the factory right?

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »
Evan... From your stated purposes for this gun... The H&R singles do not make sense. Don't drop $150 (or more) into a $200 gun for skeet shooting... You will be wanting an extra barrel pretty soon for doubles and follow-ups... I don't know what this talk is of difficulty lining up over/unders??? You D'ONT make any adjustments to your aim and form for the bottom barrel... There is no practical difference in POI considering the pattern you are shooting... I have shot O/U's for more than 40 years... The beauty of them is you have the same sight picture and plane as a single barrel... Now a S/S is a different story! Side-By-Side guns tak some getting used to. I know nothing about Tri-Star... But there are plenty of decent O/U's in the $400 range... Take a look at Stoeger etc... IMO you will be disappointed in a single for your uses... If this were solely a turkey gun... Then I would definitely say go with the H&R.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
Evan... From your stated purposes for this gun... The H&R singles do not make sense. Don't drop $150 (or more) into a $200 gun for skeet shooting... You will be wanting an extra barrel pretty soon for doubles and follow-ups... I don't know what this talk is of difficulty lining up over/unders??? You D'ONT make any adjustments to your aim and form for the bottom barrel... There is no practical difference in POI considering the pattern you are shooting... I have shot O/U's for more than 40 years... The beauty of them is you have the same sight picture and plane as a single barrel... Now a S/S is a different story! Side-By-Side guns tak some getting used to. I know nothing about Tri-Star... But there are plenty of decent O/U's in the $400 range... Take a look at Stoeger etc... IMO you will be disappointed in a single for your uses... If this were solely a turkey gun... Then I would definitely say go with the H&R.

I was informed and under the impression that it is rather difficult to become used to a O/U. Personally I didn't think it would be THAT big of a change.
I was looking at the Maverick Hunter 12 O/U. Fairly cheap. My buddy used to own a Maverick model 88, it was a solid little unit. Anyway this is it..
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/61681

Very odd, as of yesterday (I believe) Cheaperthandirt does not sell firearms, nor give out ballparks ranges of the Price. Very odd. Anyone know what happened.

But yeah that is the over/under I was condsidering getting, or the tristar.

Offline TxGun

• Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »
Deleted.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
Very odd, as of yesterday (I believe) Cheaperthandirt does not sell firearms, nor give out ballparks ranges of the Price. Very odd. Anyone know what happened. 

They still list em.

Tim

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MfgContent.aspx?mfgId=135&catId=1612&fmp=Y