Author Topic: 1/3 scale Parrott  (Read 1483 times)

Offline WindElevation

• Trade Count: (0)
1/3 scale Parrott
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:30:32 PM »
First, I would like to say Thank You, to all the people who give their time and knowledge so generously helping new comers, like me, to cannon building, it is very much appreciated.      This is my project, a 1/3 scale Parrott on a #1 carriage. As you can see in the first picture a major mistake. I can't believe I missed something so simple. Will be correcting it this winter. Thank You again....... Gary                                                                                                                   
He that will not when he may- when he will, he shall have nay.

Offline WindElevation

Re: 1/3 scale Parrott
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »
Messed up pics. Here are some more.

Offline WindElevation

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:47:17 PM »
I doing something wrong, only getting one pic per post. When I add a second pic, it blanks out the first picture.

Offline WindElevation

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:50:03 PM »
Another.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
Excellent work. One of the best scale model field pieces I have seen here.
Max

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:44:38 AM »
After you type a line of text hit enter and paste the img code on a new line.  After you paste the first image then hit enter and paste the next image code on a new line.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:15:28 AM »
Very nice build.  If you hadn't mentioned that you made a mistake no one would have noticed.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:22:30 AM »
Very nice work I can only think of one mistake .... it's not sitting here in my office  ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
WindElevation,
Nice job!
Is the problem that the implement hangers don't hang low enough to accept the ramrods?
I can't tell for sure by looking at the pictures.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »
Beautiful work!

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »
Very Very Nice! :)
Hey you dropped a dollar

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »
It looks better than any scale #1 carriage gun I have ever seen.  Is it the cant on the wheels?  Hard to tell with pictures sometimes. 

Offline WindElevation

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
 Thanks for the kind words,
DD, Thank You, I will work on my picture loading skills. I'm using myhostedpics and loaded using the URL, are you saying I should be using the IMG?  Also do know if I can load video's on myhostedpics or do I need Youtube?

ZULU, Yes you are right- I made the axel housing 1/2" to high and the hangers do not hang low enough because of the height mistake. Now I need to remake all the straping.

CANNON COCKER, Thank You, Its the height of the axel housing.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »
DD, Thank You, I will work on my picture loading skills. I'm using myhostedpics and loaded using the URL, are you saying I should be using the IMG?  Also do know if I can load video's on myhostedpics or do I need Youtube?

ZULU, Yes you are right- I made the axel housing 1/2" to high and the hangers do not hang low enough because of the height mistake. Now I need to remake all the straping.

Yes use the IMG code.  It is precoded and all you have to do is paste it.

I don't my self use Myhosted pictures  for much.  I have a very large inventory of pictures and it far exceeds the bandwidth allowance of Myhosted pictures.  I prefer Youtube for video's

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 03:54:52 AM »

Then you are also aware that the axle housing has a slight taper from the cheeks to the wheels.   

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 04:30:29 AM »

Then you are also aware that the axle housing has a slight taper from the cheeks to the wheels.

On a full scale piece, the taper is only 1/2".  On a 1/3rd scale piece, the taper would be pretty small.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 08:20:01 AM »

On a full scale piece, the taper is only 1/2".  On a 1/3rd scale piece, the taper would be pretty small.
Zulu

I think putting in a slight taper would be noticeable to the eye.  It is a question of going to the trouble of putting the taper in.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »
It appears to me that the wheels are both in the vertical plane instead of being angled such that the bottom spokes are vertical.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »

Zulu

To precise, (and you probably know this Zulu) the original cant was achieved not by having a straight axle drop from cheek to hub, but by the taper of a conical axle arm from about a 3" dia. to about a 2" dia. which actually produced it.  Many reproductions, and probably especially small scale reproductions would not have a an axle like this because it can't be seen unless dismantled.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 04:52:24 PM »

Zulu

To precise, (and you probably know this Zulu) the original cant was achieved not by having a straight axle drop from cheek to hub, but by the taper of a conical axle arm from about a 3" dia. to about a 2" dia. which actually produced it.  Many reproductions, and probably especially small scale reproductions would not have a an axle like this because it can't be seen unless dismantled.

This is partially right.  The axle spindle is tapered, but the spindle drops down to the point where one side of the taper matches the bottom of the axle.  This will cause the wheel to tip so that the spokes will be perpendicular to the ground.  What I am trying to say would be easier to understand if I had a drawing to go with this explanation.

Offline WindElevation

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »
Artilleryman- Since I need to cut down the axel housing height, I will put the taper on at that time. I agree it should be there. Thank You for pointing that out......... Gary

GGASKILL- There's no camber to the wheel. When I started this I bought an old 12x36 craftsman lathe. With no metal lathe experience I was a little overwhelmed with the axel tree and nave box. I made the nave box a straight bushing with a 1" axel. Since I have some lathe experience now, the next carriage I will give it a try. Thank You.......Gary

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 05:03:50 AM »
WindElevation,
A fine looking gun, and you did an admirable job; especially for being new to machining.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »
I made the nave box a straight bushing with a 1" axle.

The nave box needs to be centered on the wheel or the wheel would wobble.  The cant occurs because the axle end is either drooped or cut with the center at the desired angle away from horizontal.  Making the end of the axle in the same fashion as the originals would be a significant challenge without special machinery and/or fixtures.  No surprise you didn't try it the first time.

It is still a well done piece.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill