Author Topic: Working without the proper tools  (Read 4148 times)

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Working without the proper tools
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
Man 4x5, that's going to look good. Glad you suggested adding that to it!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 03:40:38 AM »
I wish I had access to the lumber you have. Very nice work. I love the burl stock. I also wish I had read this response last night cause I attempted the drill on the bolt stock and somewhat boogered it. I can fix it, just need more "creativity". The hand drill jig is just the ticket I needed. I will work on building out my jigs next before I tackle my 8x57 project this spring.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 06:54:02 AM »
I wish I had access to the lumber you have. Very nice work. I love the burl stock. I also wish I had read this response last night cause I attempted the drill on the bolt stock and somewhat boogered it. I can fix it, just need more "creativity". The hand drill jig is just the ticket I needed. I will work on building out my jigs next before I tackle my 8x57 project this spring.
I wish that I'd seen your thread before i did, and had shown you how we work the same problem. I would have done your pistol grip differntly, cut it differnt, and re done the fit, dealing with two cuts on a glue up is very difficult, here's how I would have cut the cherry for the the ebony grip cap, making one clean line, from the back of your grip cap to the top side of the reciever, thereby making all of the re fit on the ebony.

On the bolt hole... for a Thumbhole stock, the best bolt is an Allen headed cap screw, which gives you a bit smaller hole for the bolt head, looks neater, and every bit of wood you can save in this area, the better. Heres a mock up of the bolt hole for my upcoming thumbhole attempt, as soon as I figure out a way to bore the bolt head channel. I do have a vague idea, but would like to hear other thoughts. The cap screw is 3/8 X 24 x 1 1/2", the washer is a 5/16 washer ground down to 3/4" dia.

"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 04:33:15 AM »
Started a new project last night, a lefthanded thumbhole, something we have'nt tried before. This stock is for buffalo12888 and is going on his 45-70, the largehole will be dipping into the laminate line, so I'm using a highly figured strip of Redwood Burl, which should show off very well through the curve of the hole, you can see the fiddleback figure in the strip in this first pic of the glue up. The 2nd pic is how it will look when we pin the three pieces togather with dowels, I'll post a pic or 2 of drilling the dowel holes later today. Stay tuned!

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 11:12:10 AM »
Because of the angle of these two Myrtle pieces we had to borrow the neighbors drill press ( one of these days, really need one! ) and used an endmill bit to create a flat spot to drill, unfortunatly, I forgot to bring my camera, otherwise I'd have a pic or two. We've now got the three pieces doweled and glued togather. We use Tightbond II, fast set wood glue. Here is the pattern we're using, only in reverse!

This is the dowel pattern we've set, all 3 dowels will be buried in the wood, next are the two other pieces, and finally all glued and clamped, label on glue bottle say we can un clamp after 30 minutes, but I've tried to move other parts after only 5 minutes and could'nt!

6x5 had a really good idea for buffalo12888's  foreend as we were using  the neighbors drillpress, he's working on it  as I type! 

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
Opps! the extreme angle cause the blocks to slip, and we may have to add some to the top side of the reciever end, we'll see. 
Added Jan 8th.
 Nope! We're OK!

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »
Another stockset ready to ship out. I've finished purpledragon's Redwood burl stock set. And made a youth/Ladies stock set with leftover pieces to match his set in case his wife does decide if she wants a "too pretty" to hunt with stock set. All of the pieces A came from one larger piece that I cut Ken's stockblank from, you can see how the grain matches, the piece C was one piece until I cut it to add the Myrtle. All of the red B pieces were one piece. Purpledragon wants to do the finish work.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
Lefthanded Thumbhole
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 07:40:30 AM »
Made some more progress on the Left Handed thumbhole stock yesterday, the biggest step was when we finally figured out how to counterbore the bolt hole. Problem... you need to counterbore the bolthole, so that the head of the bolt is not visable and your thumb does'nt touch it. You can't use a straight spade bit, because you don't have the room through the wrist relief cone ( thats what we call the big hole in the thumbhole stocks ) and I don't know of any hi-speed 90* drill moters with a short enough chuck to allow the use of a cut down bit. Our first thought was a 3/8" shaft with a slot milled into it with two set screws, that we could cut off the required size spade bit, drill holes through it for the set screws. Then we could put the shaft through the bolt hole, insert the cut off spade bit tip and clamp in place, and pull the counterbore tool into the wood. There might be such a tool, but as the title of this thread is Working without the Proper Tools, even if there was such a tool, we don't have it. making one would be easy if 6x5 was still a working machinest, but he's disabled and is'nt working in that trade. We could have one made at most any machine shop, but could'nt afford it! BUT, sitting out in the shop the other night, sanding away on a beautifull piece of Myrtle, 6x5 says, "what if we......? So, we tried his idea, ( he says I can't tell you the idea, we'll just keep that a trade secret ) and it works perfectly!!! A clean flat hole 90* to the bolthole. Now that we have the counter bore tool, we went ahead and drilled the thumbhole and started relieving the cone, went as far as we could with the router, but the amount of wood to be removed is more than we can set an angle to work the router with. So we stitched to a "SaberCut bit" chucked up in a Dremel tool. That works, little thing eats the wood, but you've gotta be carefull or it will get away from you! Got the cone relieved enough to drill the bolthole, and got the hole drilled. Enough work for the evening, supper time!

Justin, see the area in the 1st pic above, circled in pink? This is why I was able to offer you this piece of Myrtle at such a savings. Those are worm tracks, and we're pretty sure that they will be removed during the shaping of your stock. It's also the reason we had to laminate on a piece of the cheekpiece, we had sliced off a 3/8 slice of wood the length of the stock blank to eliminate them, and were left with these remaining tracks. As I said, we're confident that they will dissapper, but did want to call your attention to their presence

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
My stock set arrived today.
Here are a few pics of my soon to be 405 Classic.
I did swap out the forearm spacer for a brass one.
Thought it complamented the Myrtle wood quite nicely.
As soon as I can get in touch with Wayne I will be sending it off to be re-bored and re-chambered to 405 Winchester.
It is topped with a old style SIMMONS AETEC 2.8x10x44 scope in old style Weaver off set rings.

Thanks a bunch elkslayer.
You did a beautiful job!!!  ;)

LONGTOM

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline buffalo12888

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »
I do notice them but I'm confident you will do a great job on making them unnoticeable

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 05:39:48 AM »
More progress has been made. Heres a look at the counterbore, a nice clean hole for the socket buttonhead cap screw to hide in.

Took the wood rasp to wormtown, and shaped the lower left side on the stock. Chased most of the worm tracks away, we'll get 'em yet!

Meanwhile, in another part of the shop,

We use all sort of tools to remove any wood that does'nt look like a gun stock. Here we are using a 1" drum sander and a wood rasp, lots of wood here that is'nt a gunstock.

After all that dust, it begining to look more like a thumbhole stock,

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 05:44:42 AM »
Opps! the extreme angle cause the blocks to slip, and we may have to add some to the top side of the reciever end, we'll see. 
Added Jan 8th.
 Nope! We're OK!

Remember the blocks slipping during the glue up? Here's the result, we can square this up, but thought that you might like to offset pistol grip, since its offset to the left and into your hand, what do you think?

Offline ElkSlayer6x5

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »
Meanwhile, in another part of the shop... I have been working on the forend. just finished it up, mounted the spacer today. looks real nice and fits my 243 like it was made for it...lol 
hope you like it as much as we do...  8)

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 04:38:49 AM »
We're both pretty excited about working in new territory, we're both right handed, so left hand is in reverse for us. But, it's comming along, 6x5 has the foreend compleated now, fits 3 of our 4 H & R's/Handis perfectly, seems that nothing wants to fit the one reciever, except my .280 barrel. We've got the stock shaped and now it time to start fitting, as you can see, quite a ways to go on the reciever fit.

Heres what the stock set is looking like so far. Please speak right up if you'd like us to change anything, I keep thinking that the pistol grip looks long, until I grab ahold and it fits my X-large hand. We choose this paticular knot section as a grip cap for this project because of the grains in it. Love the look of the "drain" as the grain sweeps down the wrist cone and out the thumbhole. What you can't quite see yet is the holographic color shift that takes place as you move this stock, so far, we're only using 100 grit, the glow will come when we use the 220 and 320 grits.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 05:36:30 AM »
Went up to Eugene yesterday only to find every large fastener store was closed, so came home without the socket buttonhead cap screw ( 3/8" x 24 x 2" ) thats needed for this stock. Did pick up a 2" socket cap screw, 3/8" x 24 so that we could move onto the fit. We used the belt sander to get it close, then we wrap a piece of 100 grit sandpaper around a wood block, and try the fit, sand away the marks, when it starts getting close, we use lipstick that my Daughter-in-Law donated, try the fit and sand away the marks looking for the perfect kiss, We're happy with this fit, fits on 3 of our 4 recievers.

A near perfect kiss, the lipstick show all solid contact.

Heres how my hand fits the thumbhole stock and reciever, I wear an XL glove.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 06:40:29 AM »
Back after a bout of Flu, and back to work on Justin's Thumber, not much left to do now except more sanding, we've got it to the 220 grit stage now, I'll wear out another sheet of 220 and then switch to the 320 grit and begin polishing.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »
 All ready to ship, had to unbox the stock-set, cause I forgot to take a few pics.