Author Topic: What is this "Ultra Slug Hunter"? I think i'm in love...  (Read 1512 times)

Offline evan1395

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • If you're gonna be dumb, Ya gotta be tough!
What is this "Ultra Slug Hunter"? I think i'm in love...
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
Just saw this on cheaperthandirt. I have never seen this version of H&R 12guage. I love it ! It says it has a rifled barrel, does that mean it is capable of shooting both shot and slugs?!?! I doubt I will be buying many slugs, but it's nice to know it could do both. Or is it just limited to only slugs?

Feedback please !
This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: What is this "Ultra Slug Hunter"? I think i'm in love...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »
It's a barrel meant for sabot slugs.  shooting birdshot, I imagine the rifling could spin the shot cup and add to that, zero choke, and you'd get terrible patterns.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
It's a barrel meant for sabot slugs.  shooting birdshot, I imagine the rifling could spin the shot cup and add to that, zero choke, and you'd get terrible patterns.

In other words those heavy duty rifled barrels are really intended for slugs?

This is grade A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco crap. Pure as the driven snow....

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »

In other words those heavy duty rifled barrels are really intended for slugs?

YES, Meant specfically for sabot slugs.

I have two f them, one 12 and one 20 ga. They are made using a barrel blank form a larger gauge. That means the 12 Ga starts with a 10g and the 20 a 12. Then its bored with its intended gauge. This nets you a heavier barrel than you would get otherwise.

Mine shoot one hole at 100 yards!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
LOL! I had a friend bring his brand new Remington 870 to the skeet range, and he couldn't hit spit.  Finally he managed to hit one bird.  After the session, I asked him what choke he had in the barrel, he told me it was a slug barrel ::) .  I almost choked ;D , I set him straight, now he does manages a decent score.  We still chuckle about his first time shooting skeet!
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »
HAHAHA, hella funny story. Myself I love shooting skeet.
Should I stick with the Pardner Turkey with the full choke for my single shot skeet gun?

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
LOL! I had a friend bring his brand new Remington 870 to the skeet range, and he couldn't hit spit.  Finally he managed to hit one bird.  After the session, I asked him what choke he had in the barrel, he told me it was a slug barrel ::) .  I almost choked ;D , I set him straight, now he does manages a decent score.  We still chuckle about his first time shooting skeet!
I learned about rifling when I tried some shot cartridges in my 22mag bounty hunter.  pretty good pattern to about 10ft, then a growing hollow circle.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »
I'd recommend a modified choke or improved if your gonna shoot skeet with the pardner
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 12:25:20 PM »
I'd recommend a modified choke or improved if your gonna shoot skeet with the pardner

Ok. Now if I get one with a modified or IC, if I do decide to trim the barrel a bit, will I lose that choke?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »

Ok. Now if I get one with a modified or IC, if I do decide to trim the barrel a bit, will I lose that choke?

Yep , the choke on most shotgun barrels are in the last few inches and cutting that off will leave you with a cyl. bore just like a smoothbore slug gun .

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 01:23:47 PM »

Yep , the choke on most shotgun barrels are in the last few inches and cutting that off will leave you with a cyl. bore just like a smoothbore slug gun .

stimpy

Ty man ! So, I think i'm gonna go with the Turkey Pardner With Full Choke....

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
see with the pardner turkey gun you can interchange the chokes since it has choke tubes and H&R sells different chokes for it on there website
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
see with the pardner turkey gun you can interchange the chokes since it has choke tubes and H&R sells different chokes for it on there website

Wait, can you really? I thought it was a fixed full choke. So the full choke that comes with it just screws out and interchanges with anyother one?

That is a HUGE plus for me.

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
Yes the regular pardners are fixed chokes but the turkey gun has interchangeable ones its a great set up

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
Yes the regular pardners are fixed chokes but the turkey gun has interchangeable ones its a great set up

Excellent ! Thanks for letting me know man. For sure gettin' one after the holidays :D

Any idea what the price range is on the chokes?
If  I were to trim the barrel a tad. Would I simply take it to a gunsmith after and have him tap the barrel for the choke? Not saying i'm 100% going to trim it, I gotta see what it looks like when I have it in my hands.

Can it be rather expensive for a thread job on the end up a barrel?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 05:55:50 AM »
About that rifled bore thing, these USH models are a current version of the old 'Bore Rifles', as indicated, 'gauge' bored rifles for (then) heavy/dangerous game in India and Africa, etc. 'Goggle' up on them and take a look and read, very interesting stuff from a very interesting time.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 06:51:56 AM »
having new chokes cut into a barrel is typically about $75 to $100 bucks.  Might be more where you are.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline evan1395

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »
having new chokes cut into a barrel is typically about $75 to $100 bucks.  Might be more where you are.

All they do is tap and die it out for threads right? I can't imagine it costing more than a bill. I have not even begun to look for gunsmiths around my area yet.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 06:00:05 AM »

All they do is tap and die it out for threads right? I can't imagine it costing more than a bill. I have not even begun to look for gunsmiths around my area yet.

I have done it a couple times. As I have many Remington Chokes I use this one and dont need to buy chokes. NOT needing chokes will keep costs down. But see what GS has avalible to you and look to see if you can get or may already have chokes.Mossberg, Browning, Winchester and Remington are readily acvailable. Winchester and Mossberg have a couple different chokes thru the years, There is a couple that are interchangeable.

I have a Rem 870 LWT in 28ga I sent to Briley as IMHO do the best job for quality work and expensive guns. Cost was close to 300... BUT That was with 5 chokes and I needed to go with there thin wall system. Kinda expensive for a one to two hundred dollar gun I know.  ::)

Look around and see who can do it and who has done it before!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.