Author Topic: One bullet 3 rifles  (Read 602 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
One bullet 3 rifles
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:30 AM »

I am seriously considering adding another mold to the collection. I am considering one of two. Both are 55gr, they are the Lyman 225415, or the Lyman 225646. From the pictures in the Midsouth catalog, The 415 looks to have larger grease groove. A plus using the Lyman 4500 Lube/Sizer with BAC lube. But the 646 looks to be a more stable bullet. More contact with the rifling.

The three rifle I would be shooting these in are, A Savage model 11 in 223, a Savage Stevens 200 in 22-250, and a Ruger Mini 14, Realistically I would not be shooting many in the 22-250, but would like having that option as well. All shots for these rounds would be 100-yard paper. I try to keep my loads as close to mid-range as possible. I am not one for hot cast loads. Thanks

Offline Nobade

Re: One bullet 3 rifles
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:57:11 AM »
I have shot a lot of both of those, and which one is better is going to come down to your individual rifle. If the nose of the #646 fits the rifle's bore snugly it is likely going to be a more accurate bullet. If not it's going to go all over. The #415 isn't a bore rider so that part doesn't matter, just seat it to touch the lands to start.

Ammo loaded with the #415 is a lot shorter overall, and may have problems feeding - especially in the Mini 14. The base of the bullet is going to be below the case neck, where the #646 is likely going to be about flush.

Of course there's no way to tell if the bore ride nose is going to fit until you actually have bullets made from that particular mould, and then it's too late if it's not right. All things to think about...

BTW, have you ever gotten the Mini 14 to cycle with cast loads and still be reasonably accurate? I never managed to do it, but I bet it can be done!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 05:57:53 AM »
I have not shot any cast bullets in any semi-rifles, the bullets I cast and shoot are all for handgun and bolt action rifles, this is new territory for me. I have read some have trouble with the AR platforms and cast. The rifle I was considering using cast in is a new Ranch rifle. I chose the Ranch over the target model, In the research I did before buying the rifle, the ranch would handle both standard .223 as well as Mil-surplus. But there really is not a lot of information on cast in the Mini on the forums. You have given me some very good points to consider. I will do some more research and deiced if it is something I want to pursue thanks 

Offline linoww

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »
I shoot a Stevens 200 in 22-250 with cast quite a bit.The 225415 does pretty well and one i have that is a HP is deadly on squirrels.The RCBS 55 is also not bad and would be the best out of a semi auto.With the 22-250 13g of 2400 or 4759 ( @ about 1900fps) groups  should be under 1.5" at 100 yards give or take 1/2" either way.The best bullet i have used is a custom Eagan designed mold that NOE has redone form my original mold.It is a tapered 62g bullet and has shot under 2-1/2" at 200 yards for me before and under 3/4" sometimes at 100 (all 5 shot groups)

link to the mold-

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=182

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:00:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I spent the day yesterday reading all I could find on the subject. In that I do cast for several hand guns and bolt action rifles. The Mini 14 would have been the main rifle for the cast bullets. For the cost of the Midsouth and Hornady bulk bullets, It just doesn’t seem feasible to cast the little bullets. I cast the 90 and 120-grain Lyman 9MM bullets, and they can be a pain in the butt some times, So I put a back order in to Midsouth. For their bulk 55 Grain JSP bullets. I added up the cost for casting a new bullet. With mold, lube/size die, top punch, M-die, and shipping and you are talking about $140.00, I know there are much cheaper options for casting this bullet, and not to start the Lee debate lets just say I do not like Lee.  With my shooting habits with rifle it would take many year if ever to recoup the cost of casting the little 22. If a young man I would rethink this, and may cast the little bullet.