Author Topic: Africa since 911  (Read 1779 times)

Offline reflex264

• Trade Count: (0)
Africa since 911
« on: January 01, 2003, 05:17:27 PM »
Anybody been over there since Sept. 11th? We were in the middle of planning a trip to So. Africa with Caracal Safaris and put the brakes on. Also any of you fellers ever booked with Caracal? regards,reflex264

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Africa since 911
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 06:04:44 PM »
Went to Africa in July.  No big deal.  If you are from the U.S.  Make sure you contact U.S. Customs before you leave the country and get your Customs registration forms for your guns. It's proof you had the guns in the U.S. before you left.

Ask your outfitter and your airlines what the rules are for bring guns and ammo and follow them. A lot of debate about factory boxes vs plastic boxes Take the plastic if you have them and tape them shut.  Label the boxes. Don't worry about not having factory boxes.

Have fun and don't worry about it.

Just to get the juices flowing...

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.huntingadventures.net
Africa since 911
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 05:51:48 AM »
I have been back and forth countless times as I work there and own a safari campany there.  I have also written a book called "Africa the first time"  which will answer most if not all your questions on hunting in South Africa.

It's not any worry as SA is not an allied country and you will likely be flying on  SAA which is not an American owned Airline.  If you plan on going  through England or Europe I strongly suggest you change your ideas and take the flight fro NY or Atlanta on SAA it's the best way to travel to SA.

Email me if you have any questions.

jjhack@earthlink.net

Or visit my web page, I have a group of guys going in June from the internet hunting forums each season. there are two places left for 2003.  

www.huntingadventures.net
www.huntingadventures.net
jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Offline reflex264

Africa since 911
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 08:31:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply Double D. If you don't mind my asking who did you book with and where did you hunt? Is that a Martini or are my eyes deceiving me? regards,reflex264 :-)

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Africa since 911
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 09:16:19 AM »
The Martini Story...

That is a ZAR Martini.  It was made for the Boer South African Republic for the Second Boer War.  It was acquired later and used by the Port Elizabeth Town Guard.  I purchased it in South Africa and brought black powder loaded ammo over with me to hunt with it.  I hit that kudu just in front left hip.  The bullet exited through the right front shoulder. The bullet traveled 60 inches through that animal.

I booked with Dale Bigger biggeroutdoors@aol.com in Houston and hunted with Tollie Jordaan of Tollie's African Safari's.  I have booked hunts with Dale several times in the past and while working in Houston I lived next door to him.  I  have also guided for Dale. Dale books with several different African Outfitters depending what you are looking for.  He recommended Tollie for what I was looking for.  If you contact them make sure you tell them I sent you.

We hunted in South Africa north of Port Elizabeth.

Here is a link to my Photo album from the trip.   African Trip  When you get there click on one of the pictures and it will open up full size. To the left you will see a list of commands.  Click on start and the pictures will sequence through for you.

We didn't shoot the elephant, we just saw it!

Douglas Dickens

Offline reflex264

Africa since 911
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2003, 01:50:23 PM »
Thanks fellers for the links and info. I will give all consideration. I really liked the safari pictures. I have a buddy that is a taxidermist that would like to go also. He has mounted quite a bit of African game most recently a lion for a Dr. in Nashville. regards,reflex264