Author Topic: Should Teachers be Armed - US News op-ed  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Should Teachers be Armed - US News op-ed
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2012/12/20/should-teachers-be-armed

Be sure to take the poll at the end of the article.  At last look the 'Yes"s waaay outnumbered the nos.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Should Teachers be Armed - US News op-ed
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
An armed society is a polite society.  I voted in the poll.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley said  guns in schools are "outrageous, extreme and reprehensible:"
It's hard to imagine a level of weaponry that a security guard . . . would  be carrying on their belt that could have resisted the sort of attack that that  individual perpetrated in Newtown.
Its obvious this buffoon's knowledge of any gun is zip!To make a statement like this only shows his stupidity and ignorance.
"I think we have too many guns, and I think  we have too much killing," he added. "Too much killing"(DUH!)What a brilliant statement. ::) Quite an uphill battle for sensible, intelligent people against loonies like this running our Governments :'(

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 03:16:58 PM »
In a free society we would let the ones that wanted to carry do so.  They are the ones that would make sure they are proficient on their own because of the personal responsibility they would bare.  The ones that don't want to probably couldn't do what was needed to be done in an emergency anyway.

There would be enough people carrying to discourage most stupid acts that were done by the bad guys.

JMHO

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »
Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley said  guns in schools are "outrageous, extreme and reprehensible:"
It's hard to imagine a level of weaponry that a security guard . . . would  be carrying on their belt that could have resisted the sort of attack that that  individual perpetrated in Newtown.
Its obvious this buffoon's knowledge of any gun is zip!To make a statement like this only shows his stupidity and ignorance.
"I think we have too many guns, and I think  we have too much killing," he added. "Too much killing"(DUH!)What a brilliant statement. ::) Quite an uphill battle for sensible, intelligent people against loonies like this running our Governments :'(

I heard a news anchor comment that the rifle caused such devastating damage is why he didn't use the pistols.  Lets see, .223 vs. .40 at close range?  World is full of idiots.  I wonder how much damage a bush axe would do in an unarmed school?

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Pass Lake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 06:18:09 AM »
I say let the students who want carry a firearm.  That would be the best deterrant.  Why are there no mass killings in the inner city?  Because all the kids are packing heat.  A shooter knows they would be dead meat.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 06:26:14 AM »
YES .. Teachers should be armed.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:00:02 AM »
 I say only the ones who are willing to properly train with and who are willing to actually use them if necessary.  "Many are Permitted, Few can/will use them". It's just human nature. Just tell everyone that ALL teachers carry and have just a FEW who are really trained/prepared to use them.

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »

Just knowing that teachers could be armed would probably be a big deterrent for the bad guys whether they are actually armed or not. I (a retired engineer) do some substitute teaching in middle and high schools, and think concealing a pistol would be difficult unless teachers change the way they dress. Maybe a lock-box of some type would be a better way to keep a pistol, but it would not always be handy. It appears most teachers are liberals who have probably never shot a gun so they would not want to carry and even if so would need a lot of training to be competent with a firearm. Also, I have a conceal/carry permit but usually don't carry and my wife is not a shooter. However, since the school shooting she has decided to learn how to shoot a pistol, get a conceal/carry permit, and buy a Ruger LCP/LaserMax (which we will get later this afternoon).                   

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »
The S&W 22A that I accidently dropped in the river with a few magazines could have easily killed a few kids.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »
I presume the Governor is a Democrat.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline dwalk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
i have NO problem with armed teachers or security IF they are trained and accredited properly.

i feel the same about armed students on college campuses.

legislators, mayors and governors seem to think that the persons who perpetrate such events are immune to bullets from a trained, licensed CCW.

we, as a society, have been trained to victims. it is that simple.
don't squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers

Offline joeinwv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »
I have not seen stats on how many teachers already have CCW's - I bet there are many who already have guns and license, just don't carry due to school carry laws.
<funny>

Offline powderman

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »
I have not seen stats on how many teachers already have CCW's - I bet there are many who already have guns and license, just don't carry due to school carry laws.

JOE. I'd bet you are right. I'd also bet that if an armed teacher actually stopped a punk massacre attack that the teacher would also be chgd with having the gun in school. POWDERMAN.  :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline magooch

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 04:39:26 AM »
I know that where I live, courthouses and some federal offices have armed security.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is armed security for our Governor and for the legislature buildings.  Unless I'm misstaken, the President, the Senate and the House of Representatives have armed security--as do a lot of other government facilities.  So why should schools be gun-free shooting galleries for crackpots?

Of course, not all teachers need to be armed, but I see no problem in having those who could attain a concealed permit to do so.  It seems to me that even if it were possible to eliminate all guns, you would still need to be able to defend against a lunatic with any type of weapon/weapons.  An extreme nut could do a lot of damage with a knife and if there is to be a confrontation, someone with a gun would have the best chance to stop that type of threat also.

Even with the best possible security, there will someday be an al Qaeda type  attack on a school and that's just the way the world is, but that shouldn't stop us from having a prudent and reasonable deterent of some sort.
Swingem

Offline nwhunter

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 05:10:02 AM »
Yes, teachers should be trained and armed.
 Keith

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
If teachers weren't armed, they would have a tough time writing on the chalk board. ;)

"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
  Yes, qualified teachers, janitors or administrators could well be armed.  As I have long said, there are combat veterans who are now in college who could fill many of those jobs..   Combat veterans especially from Iraq, know how to fight in side buildings; they could handle such perps.  These vets should be given hiring priority ion the field.  There are retired LEOs etc who could be hired on a priority basis also.   One small expense would be weekly practice, but a small price to pay for children's safety.

One idiot on TV complained that any teacher should not be expected to know their job, plus know how to do effective security..
    Jeepers..most people can walk and chew gum at the same time...and I don't suppose teachers are an exception..

Still, it is difficult to comprehend any parent who wants his/her children to be less protected than are the crowds at airports, sporting events or political conventions.. :P .
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Defoe

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
Ironglow, good post.  if you can't find a gun use a knife.  crazies won't be stopped by another law.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/22-kids-slashed-in-china-elementary-school-knife-attack/

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 01:09:49 PM »
My first though was yes. but after thinking about it my though is maybe. I think that a teacher that has a gun but is not really qualified to use it may well be detrimental  to the reason for being armed in the first place. I have run into a lot of people while out shooting that would not help such a problem but may well add to it.

Arm a teacher? First a course in fire arm handling followed by a course in combat shooting. To simply give a person a gun would not solve a lot. maybe armed security people in the school. Wear street clothing able to carry a concealed weapon. Depending on school size, two or three should handle it. These guys would be well trained and experience in handling situation as they arise. Don't care for the idea of security in uniform with exposed guns, low profile until needed. Security and locked door's don't seem to give the kids much confidence in the safety of the school.

Yea I think that arming teachers not well trained with a willing attitude to use the gun if the need should arise, is fine. A persson that hesitate's at the wrong time could be a bad thing.

Offline Tiapan64

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
Here in my hometown Borger, Texas.  We have a program called D.A.R.E.
 (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) Where an officer from the P.D. is in the school teaching and interacting with the students to help raise awareness about drugs....they are armed and there 5 days a week at the junior high and highschool....not sure about the lower grades but they are like right there beside the junior high.  So I guess where I live does sort of have armed P.D. in the school buildings at all hours the school is in session.  But I think that teachers whom are certified should be able to carry also.  Perhaps even hire folks who are willing to go thru the training to guard the schools...after all these children are our future and without them...we have no future.
I love to shoot.  500 S&W Mag, 480 Ruger Taurus RB, S&W 686 Stainless, 10mm Witness.
The Great State of Texas

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »
Should we arm teachers? - NO

Should we stop forcing teachers to work in "Gun Free Zones"? - YES!

It should be the teachers choice not any one elses!
    Ray

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
Yes, teachers should be trained and armed.
 Keith

LOL! Another nwhunter ;) Welcome to the form!BTW....What part of the Great NW do you hunt?
Someone before suggested Concealed carry for college students.I don't think we need to have students carrying weapons in the class room. ::) That is the prob. we are seeing now. Students (deranged ones) with guns in the classrooms using them.

We have enough retired police officers and others that are proficient with firearms to volunteer their time to help the qualified teachers in the school to protect our children from these attacks.And a couple of paidsecurity guards per school would be a plus.If we can afford to hire assistant teachers to help (teachers) :o Can we not afford people to protect the children in their care?[size=78%]  [/size]
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
My first though was yes. but after thinking about it my though is maybe. I think that a teacher that has a gun but is not really qualified to use it may well be detrimental  to the reason for being armed in the first place. I have run into a lot of people while out shooting that would not help such a problem but may well add to it.

Arm a teacher? First a course in fire arm handling followed by a course in combat shooting. To simply give a person a gun would not solve a lot. maybe armed security people in the school. Wear street clothing able to carry a concealed weapon. Depending on school size, two or three should handle it. These guys would be well trained and experience in handling situation as they arise. Don't care for the idea of security in uniform with exposed guns, low profile until needed. Security and locked door's don't seem to give the kids much confidence in the safety of the school.

Yea I think that arming teachers not well trained with a willing attitude to use the gun if the need should arise, is fine. A persson that hesitate's at the wrong time could be a bad thing.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I think if you re-read the posted, thusfar nobody is reccomending the arming of any unqualified or unstable person..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline boarhuntr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
An armed society is a polite society.  I voted in the poll.

The Chinese have a well known children's story about an idiot that inherited a bag of gold. After much thought he decided to bury it in one corner of his rice field. Afraid of thieves, his brilliant idea was to make a sign on top of the hole, "There is no bag of gold buried here" .
When schools post that they are a "Gun free zone" it is just inviting some lunatic to come and do their mayhem, knowing they would be unstoppable. Such thinking is on a par with idiots that think posting "deer crossing signs" on highways contribute to deer accidents.  As they say, you can't fix stupid. ::) :o

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 10:27:19 PM »
I really think every teacher being armed ( like every citizen should be) is the better option than to have armed guards in the schools.
Having an armed guard  is like saying just the princible has a gun.
To easy to take down a known target first, before going on a killing spree.
I've have a grandson in kindergarden that knows all the drills.
1. FIRE DRILL =SINGLE FILE ,,FOLLOW TEACHER OUT OF BUILDING.
2. Tornado drill= single file , follow teacher to shelter.
3. CODE 3 drill ( intruder in building)= Teacher locks door and the whole class huddles in one corner of the room !!!!!! :-X 
The code 3 drill has to scare the kids to death each time they practice it!
Can you imagine being a kid doing these drills?
Fire and tornado drills lead them to safety , but the code 3 drill just gets them in a group to wait for terror to strike or not!!!
I would much rather the code 3 drill have the teacher lock the door and have all the kids get in the corner of the room ,,,,,THEN THE TEACHER PULLS OUT HER GUN AND LETS THE KIDS KNOW (((((NOBODY))))) is going to make it through that door to hurt anyone!!
The kids would feel and BE much safer , and the parents ( and grandpa) wouldn't  need to worry (as much),, if only all teachers were armed.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
Arm ALL of the Teachers?  Not hardly.  I know. 

My family is full of teachers.  My mother, younger sister, older sister-in-law, her sister, and mostly all of their combined friends are teachers.  They "work their magic" writing to the unformatted brains of children and adolescents.  They are excellent women, mothers, wives, home makers and already juggle two full time jobs. Their hunting, shooting, and gun enthusiasm"resolve" in life is different from yours and mine.  They don't have it now or they already would.

We're hunters, shooters, gun enthusiasts, and some of us have been around firearms all our lives.  You CANNOT teach guns and tactics and expect that to equate to experience and resolve.  Handgun experience and the resolve to use one is an individual choice born in circumstances that are not KNEE JERK or the requirements for some job.  You either have it or you do not.  Some can get it.  Most will not.  Doesn't matter though.  The presence of even SOME of the teachers being armed will give considerable pause to the senseless violence in schools.

Check out this info packed opinion:  http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 01:23:53 AM »
Arm ALL of the Teachers?  Not hardly.  I know. 

They are excellent women, mothers, wives, home makers and already juggle two full time jobs. Their hunting, shooting, and gun enthusiasm"resolve" in life is different from yours and mine.  They don't have it now or they already would.
  You CANNOT teach guns and tactics and expect that to equate to experience and resolve.  Handgun experience and the resolve to use one is an individual choice born in circumstances that are not KNEE JERK or the requirements for some job.  You either have it or you do not.  Some can get it.  Most will not.

I don't think you would need very much "tactics" to sit in a classroom behind a locked door just waiting for someone to kick it down before you dump 5 or six rounds through them from a distance of no more than 20 feet.
That and the fact they are comming through a door way.
And anyone that is smart enough to get through enough school to become a teacher should be smart enough to learn how to handle a double action revolver without to much trouble.
I bet the most anti-gun teacher would be wishing they had a gun in their hand if they were ever in a classroom with the kids huddled in the corner waiting to see if an intruder was going to come to their class.
I bet most teachers don't want to be firefighters,,,,but they have fire exstinguishers there ,,,,just in case!
The same could be said for having guns where needed.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 02:02:45 AM »

that is a prime example of whats wrong with the country and people in general...including us

people  always want to tell some one else how it needs to be done

WHY IS THAT CHOICE NOT LEFT TO EACH INDIVIDUAL TEACHER?????

SHOULD THE LAWS FORBIDING TEACHERS FROM ARMING ''THEMSELVES'' BE REPEALED.....YES

maybe nothing  more than requireing EXTRA   training

but  no requirement to carry

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 02:31:30 AM »
I think removing the gun free zone status would be a bit of a deterrant. Even if an armed teacher was engaged with an intruder that had him outgunned, the teacher would take the attention off of the students and buy them a little time. I can't help wonder if having the students crowded in the corner would cause more deaths. How many of the Sandyhook kids that were said to be shot 6 or 7 times were actually hit with pass-thrus of the same bullet? How long will it take for some nut job to prove to the anti-gun crowd just as much carnage can be done with a pick-up truck?