Author Topic: I may give Lee molds another try  (Read 1110 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
I may give Lee molds another try
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »

I saw on another forum, Lee has finally stopped using the V-block alignment on their two cavity molds, and is switching to the conventional Alignment pins. I know some say they do not have a problem with the V-block. Me personally I never had a Lee 2 Cavity mold I cared much for, If I found a bullet I liked with the Lee, I would sell the Lee and replace with a similar steel mold.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: I may give Lee molds another try
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »
Personally I have never had any real problems with the Lee V design , that said I still like the pin alignment better and most of my molds are steel with pins .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
My Lee molds get a light bab of Bull Plate on the alignment notches/bars every casting session. Narry a problem in 16 years...

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I have 13 Lee molds and just added another tonight 38 cal. 125 gr. RNFP  a Christmas gift to myself.  I had a little issue with the mold blocks lining up on one but I fixed that with a little brass shim.  Don't know if my new Lee mold will have the new style pins or not.

I lube all my molds with Amsoil synthetic 2-cycle oil,just a dab on a Q-Tip is all it takes.  I got a quart for $9 works good in the weed eater and chain saw as well.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:15:24 AM »
It all comes down too what you like and works best for you. Most of my molds are Lyman. And there are guys that swear Lyman molds are bad. I have yet to get a bad one. I also like RCBS. I had a Saeco I sold it, I just could not get it to shoot as well as some other bullets. But then I use a Saeco hardness tester and it works great for me. You mention it on the Cast forum and they all start ganging up on you. Just like everything else in the shooting world one size dose not fit all.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
I started casting with Lee muzzle loader moulds and although they work, they don't wear like steel blocks. I wish ale would make 22 and 25 caliber moulds. They might be more expensive due to the tooling involved but the market needs a better selection in those two caliber.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:45:04 AM »
I have several Lee molds. They all work great if I follow Lee's instructions to the letter. I have found they work better to touch up the lube on the alignment blocks ever hundred or so bullets. Be careful as too much lube is also a no-no. I use bee's wax for lube and also to flux my lead melt.

I just purchased two new Lee molds. The bullet mold is the alignment block mold. The roundball mold has two pins. I cast over a hundred each of bullets and balls Saturday afternoon and really couldn't tell any difference in operation between the two. I think the pin thing is is a manufacturing cost saving for Lee and not to improve mold performance.