Author Topic: Time to expand?  (Read 3104 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Time to expand?
« on: February 13, 2004, 05:26:17 PM »
OK former Marlin Talkers, it has been suggested to me that it is time to expand to more than just this single forum. So I'm going to offer this in the form of a poll to see if that's what you folks want. Matters not to me.

I'm going to ask in a two part question. First is the poll question and then will be the question of what Forums to establish if the poll says time to expand.

These topics have been suggested to me.

"Rimfire"
"Antique/Older Marlins"
"Big Bore Marlins"  
"Miscellaneous"

Please vote and if you vote yes for expansion then please tell in a post the topics you'd like to see the forums represent.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Jarhead Ed

• Trade Count: (0)
Time to expand?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 05:36:22 PM »
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Time to expand?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 06:10:40 PM »
GB;
    Over in Marlin Talk we had some very lively and interesting discussions
concerning religion and politics.
   Now we realize that some do not like to discuss these issues; so if they were under separate headings the non-partakers can just pass them by.
  You can see that such discussions are already popping up....so to save the hassle, let's give them their own location!

I really enjoy this forum, and look forward to some interesting times here...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BamBams

Time to expand?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 06:13:35 PM »
I think it would be a good idea simply because everything is currently in one basket. We've got a mix of political, humor, and firearms related all thrown into the same forum, and some people are strictly interested in the rifles, others are interested in political activism, etc.

I don't think anyone would get "lost" around here if things were a little more organized.  This is just my opinion. Of course, EVERYTHING interests me, so I bounce all over anyway.  I find myself checking the 1911 forum quite a bit.

I do have a question though:  If more groups were added, would they just fall under the heading of "Marlin" or would they be scattered throughout the BBS?  I've been wondering about that.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Time to expand?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 06:21:27 PM »
GB;
Over in Marlin Talk we had some very lively and interesting discussions
concerning religion and politics.
Now we realize that some do not like to discuss these issues; so if they were under separate headings the non-partakers can just pass them by.

We already have forums established for the discussion of both topics on this site.

I have a forum called: Second Amendment and Political Issues Discussion which is the place for all discussions of political matters. It is somewhat active but not so much so that any of you recent newcomers should feel out of place there. Feel free to use it.

I have a forum called: Inspirational Messages and Thoughts which is a fine place to discuss Religion. It isn't a preaching of sermons type place but is for any general discusion of religion and for posting of inspirational messages. Feel free to use it also.

These forums are there for use by all members of the site.

I have no problem with giving the Marlin and/or NEF/H&R Talk Refugees as many forums as seems appropriate. But I've noticed many of you already interacting in many of the other forums. Please feel free to do so anywhere.

There is also a fairly active Rimfire Forum for both Rifles and Handguns. Two separate ones for those two topics that is.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

Time to expand?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 06:32:16 PM »
GB I have no issues with splitting it up into catagories that these folks want. I even think that a Marlin rimfires section will get use besides my rimfire rifle section as it was very popular at MT. I will be glad to stay on as a moderator at the Misc section and you can rename it or keep it the same does not matter to me. I think that splitting it up will allow members to post just gun subjects on the other boards being considered and that should not give them any issue then about what is posted on the misc board hopefully. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline BamBams

Time to expand?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 06:33:39 PM »
You raise a good point GB.  There may already be sufficient forums to spread things out, cept we simply haven't "discovered" them yet.  Yeah, I can read a forum list, but the problem is that I'm not used to looking for the "appropriate" forum to post in as Marlin Talk had so few of them.  Perhaps we ought to just concentrate more on checking the forums and deciding where to place our content?  I dunno....whatever?  *laugh*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline BamBams

Time to expand?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 06:41:28 PM »
Here's another way to look at it.  From the image below, we can determine which Marlin Forums had the most participation:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~mkelly43/eBay/marlintalk.jpg
NRA Handgun Instructor

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Time to expand?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 07:24:31 PM »
I do have a question though: If more groups were added, would they just fall under the heading of "Marlin" or would they be scattered throughout the BBS? I've been wondering about that.

If you guys and gals decide to split it up we'll do it one of two ways. We'll either have a new section called Marlin/H&R/NEF or we'll have two sections labeled Marlin and NE/H&R depending on whether they also want to divide things up. That way all of you former Marlin Talk folks will be able to see the forums set up especially for you here in one place.

You raise a good point GB. There may already be sufficient forums to spread things out, cept we simply haven't "discovered" them yet. Yeah, I can read a forum list, but the problem is that I'm not used to looking for the "appropriate" forum to post in as Marlin Talk had so few of them. Perhaps we ought to just concentrate more on checking the forums and deciding where to place our content? I dunno....whatever? *laugh*

Other than Brand/Model Specific topics there really isn't much not covered by a forum here already. I don't honestly know how many folks have found their way here from the former Marlin site. We've added about 1200 new members this year so far. I'd assume many from one part or another of the Marlin site but really no way to know for sure.

Certainly feel free to jump around and take a look at the other forums. Read a few topics and see if it feels comfortable to ya. Then help us decide if we need to split this one and if so into what named topcis. As I say I have no iron in this fire. I'm willing to go as you guys wish. No limit on how many we can have or what they are called.

Main goal is for folks to feel comfortable with the set up and be happy using it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
Time to expand?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 08:23:44 PM »
Just My Opinion: You have enough topics/forums elsewhere to cover just about everything. No sense doubling up just for us newbies.
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
Time to expand?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 12:09:32 AM »
GB, you da man.  I am not sure if I thanked you for your willingness and lengths you have gone and are going to to make us homeless exMTers feel welcome and at home, but let me express thanks now.
Although I have been a member since last year, I never seemed to venture much outside MT and the auction sites.
Thank you for your generosity.
Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
Time to expand?
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2004, 12:17:29 AM »
Quote from: tubbythetuba
Just My Opinion: You have enough topics/forums elsewhere to cover just about everything. No sense doubling up just for us newbies.

Thats the way I am thinking tubby,things are just fine the way they are now.

Offline Dali Llama

Time to expand?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2004, 04:46:18 AM »
Quote from: Red Neck64

Dali Llama say he concur with tubbythetuba and Red Neck64. :grin:  :grin:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
Time to expand?
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2004, 06:09:31 AM »
Hmm, very strange. We seem to be getting a lot more YES votes than we are suggestions about what forums to add if we make a split. And a lot more posts saying NO than we are NO votes.

GB

Offline jh45gun

Time to expand?
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 06:29:27 AM »
Well GB I guess let the poll decide. :) The only thing I have heard is wanting a separate gun post from the Misc one. As I said I have no issues either way. I am satisfied to moderate a separate Misc or just stay at this one the way it is it does not matter to me. Jim

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
Time to expand?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 07:16:45 AM »
Graybeard,

I would say, not at this time. One of the major reasons for the heavy traffic flow is that many of the refugees are posting here because that's where their acquantances are, even though many of the posts are really off topic. I think that once these off topic posts move to the appropriate forums (or are moved) and the newcomers become more familiar with this site we will see a more accurate representation of the needs of the Marlin community. That will be the time to make the decision about expanding this forum.

Offline Roadhouse3030

Time to expand?
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 09:57:23 AM »
Quote from: Jarhead Ed
I do not know what kind of numbers we are working with, so don't really know if expansion is neccessary. I think it would be nice though, to be able to segregate some things.

Big Bores (1895 & 444)
336's
1894's
Misc (or just use this one as that)

or:

1895's 444's and 336's
1894's
Rimfires
Misc

or:

Marlin Centerfires (1895, 336, 444, & 1894)
Marlin Rimfires
Misc

I don't think there is a large rimfire crowd here....or same with collectors.
I could be wrong though!

Whatever is decided....consider my time volunteered.

FWIW,
Jarhead Ed
                                                                                                                                                                                                        I like JHeds 3rd suggestion                                                            Marlin Centerfires (1895, 336, 444, & 1894)
Marlin Rimfires
Misc                                                                                                      :agree:  Hey how about a section for whats better the 30-30 or .35    :eek:  JUST KIDDING :wink:

Offline Dali Llama

Time to expand?
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 12:47:07 PM »
Quote from: GBO MGMT
Hmm, very strange. We seem to be getting a lot more YES votes than we are suggestions about what forums to add if we make a split. And a lot more posts saying NO than we are NO votes.

GB
Then for sake of clarity, Dali Llama say make his a NO vote. :grin:

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
Time to expand?
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 01:33:14 PM »
Yes - no need to add duplicate sub topics - would appreciate voluntary direction to the misc forum already here, among other duplicate topics.

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
Time to expand?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 02:20:29 PM »
If this "Moderator Thing" is for real, you Moderators could simply drag and drop these seemingly errant topics to their respective places.

Offline jh45gun

Time to expand?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 02:39:03 PM »
As a moderator here I want it set up for all these varied subjects makes it more interesting and I want to keep it like a area for discussion for all members that were at MT. Nanook, I am busy enough moderating this and the rimfire site with out playing traffic cop and routing subjects where they want to go. If you have a issue with this pm or email GB on how this board is run but I as a moderator chose it to be the subjects that are being posted now so maybe we should split it up so you folks who are disatisfied with the misc section already can go to a the other sites that have been suggested, like a big bore or 336 or what ever.  Hey GB has enough boards here now that I am sure a few more will not hurt anything expecially with the new server!

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
Time to expand?
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2004, 02:55:56 PM »
Yes Boss - I think the poll pertaining to this question reflects the majority would appreciate post that are misc being posted to misc forums.  This will settle down in awhile.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Time to expand?
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2004, 06:47:37 PM »
Folks at this point I don['t have a clue what this poll is telling me. I see the numbers and they say you want some split of topics. BUT you aren't telling me what topics you want. Yet when I read the posts there are I think more no votes than the yes votes in the poll results. Are you not voting? Where are all the rest. I know this represents only a small fraction of those of you here.

This is for you not for me. I don't want to dictate to you what your forum or forums will look like. I want you to tell me what you want. I can do it but only if I know what you want. Maybe I should just set them up based on what recommendations I do have and let you vote with your participation?

Tell me what you want. I can accomodate. But I can't read your mind. I need your help.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Jarhead Ed

Time to expand?
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 08:08:41 PM »
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Time to expand?
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2004, 08:48:21 PM »
Everyone please vote in the poll at the top of list now to determine if we add the new section and then go there and vote each forum up or down as you think best.

Everyone has an equal chance here for a say in how it shakes out. I'm going to end this poll as I just don't feel like it has been definitive enough but the new one will.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline RaySendero

Time to expand?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2004, 03:33:18 AM »

I'll second that!  GBO has enough topics for me to enjoy.  If want to talk Marlin for me its better to have it in one place/topic.   :money:
    Ray

Offline Dali Llama

Time to expand?
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2004, 05:56:53 AM »
Quote from: Nanook 450
Yes Boss - I think the poll pertaining to this question reflects the majority would appreciate post that are misc being posted to misc forums.  
Dali Llama say he seem to detect inappropriate note of sarcasm in Nanook 450's usage of "Boss" to refer to jh45gun. :(  :(

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
Graybeard or one of the moderators-pet peeve
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2004, 06:17:09 AM »
Although I just signed on today I have already ran across one of my pet peeves. When someone pastes something or a picture from another place why can't it be sized down to fit the page. It drives me nuts to constantly scroll back and forth reading all the posts. Great site by the way. I am also one of the red headed step children from the old marlin site. Hope I'm not getting started off on the wrong foot here. Thanks :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Graybeard or one of the moderators-pet peeve
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2004, 06:20:41 AM »
Quote from: Nightrain52
Although I just signed on today I have already ran across one of my pet peeves. When someone pastes something or a picture from another place why can't it be sized down to fit the page. It drives me nuts to constantly scroll back and forth reading all the posts.
Dali Llama say he concur with Nightrain52.

Offline jh45gun

Time to expand?
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2004, 07:01:38 AM »
NightTrain, First of all Welcome. Second of all I agee I hate it also but maybe some do not know how to size down the pictures. Heck I am not even sure. I usually use a photo hosting site first that compacts them so I do not have to worry about it. If you know if a method let us know here so others can benifit from it. Thanks Jim