Author Topic: Visual effect with Thunder Mug?  (Read 688 times)

Offline kidblackpowder

• Trade Count: (0)
Visual effect with Thunder Mug?
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:20:04 PM »
Love shooting these off during holidays and family parties... one question.  I had read somewhere a while back that some guys add flour and/or some kind of homemade firework powder between the powder and the wad (bread, grass, newspaper) etc. to throw some sparks and or white "smoke" up the air while firing for some visual effect for the party goers.    I was looking at some Jack's powder and they have a pic of someone shooting a cannon and it's got a bunch of sparks coming out... would that be reinectment powder?   Thanks for any advice!  Jeff in Ohio

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Visual effect with Thunder Mug?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
I don't think you will get much encouragement here, where the overriding concern is safety.  I'm sure the board management would be at least uncomfortable with any discussions of experimental or "homebrew" firework powders.  I think frankly it is difficult enough to keep people using safe, well-designed cannons firing standard grades of blackpowder, in the correct amounts, and deviating into unknown potions invites trouble.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
The discussion of pyrotechnics is off limits here. 

If you look around for a fireworks discussion board, you should be able to find some one with the proper knowledge to safely help you.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:12:08 AM »
I have still photos firing my cannon at night with black powder in foil cartridges (info on cartridges & loads in the stickies at the top of this board) which show a large number of sparks from the barrel & vent (touch-hole).  I don't use any added "enhansers", if they burn they would alter pressures & would require working up loads from very small all over again.
I am firing blanks (as opposed to target shooting) as salutes, say on the 4th of July, & it's about making a nice 'BANG' for as little expensive powder as possible.     

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
I think that you are thinking of the Cremora fire ball.  Type these last three words into a Google search and you'll see what has been talked about, but I think the idea was to put the bonus items on top of the wad, and not mixed into the powder.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.