Author Topic: Media rouge  (Read 850 times)

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Media rouge
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »
I'm a newbie to reloading. Loaded my 1st ammo on 7x57 & 357max. All went well for a starter load. Now I bought a RCBS vibrater tumbler and Lyman media w/rouge. Now I have the red rouge coating the cases. Do I have to wipe each one clean? Or did I do something wrong?

Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Original M38 6.5X55 Swede
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
Re: Media rouge
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
Are ya leaving it in the vibrator long enough,I use it also and after 4hrs (depending on how dirty) it comes out clean and shiny. If ya only leave it in for a short time it wil be still gritty from the rouge sticking to the lube on the cases.

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 03:05:36 AM »
I think it was around 3hrs that it ran. The brass is clean and shiny after I rub the rouge off. I'll let it run and just check it later. Thanx.
Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:22:58 AM »
The problem is typical Lyman media with far too much rouge in it. I cut mine with untreated media at the rate of 20% Lyman to 80% untreated. Occasionally I'll add a cup of the Lyman as it starts to get weak.

Offline benny123

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 05:42:51 AM »
I was about fed up with most treated, or untreated, brands of media before I found Lyman's rouge variation--think they call it "tufnut" or somethin' like that

IMO, ths product removes crud and shines faster. But, more to your point, the film actually aids in reloading. With it there is no need for case lubrication. In and out of the dies with lessened friction.

For comparison, I tumble pretty large pistol cases in a Thumler Rotating for about 4-6 hours.

Diluting the rouge by cutting with non-treated is a great cost cutting idea. You can buy media on the cheap through Harbor Freight, if interested

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »
. But, more to your point, the film actually aids in reloading. With it there is no need for case lubrication. In and out of the dies with lessened friction.
Wow, the Rouge is an abrasive, not a lubricant. There is no way I'd have that stuff near my dies.
found elsewhere

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Only my opinion, but the shooting company media is both expensive and doesn't work that well.  I've been very happy with Lizard litter.  For some reason crushed walnut shells cost three times as much when a shooting suppler packages it. ::)

Here's my process:

I use a mix of Nu Finish car wax 1:1 with mineral spirits (or paint thinner).  I keep this in a small empty rubbing alcohol bottle.  Shake it very well (it will separate) and add 2-4 tablespoons (I eyeball it) to the moving media and let it run for about 10 minutes.  Add brass and come back 3 hours latter.  Clean and so shiny they almost glow. ;D

If you use the universal Lee decapping die before tumbling you won't have to do anything with the primmer pockets after tumbling.  The Lee decapping die is only about $15 and worth every penny.

One more thought since you are new to reloading.  If you can afford it buy a collet bullet puller (I like RCBS) and skip the horrible inertia  hammer type.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752164&lmdn=Pet+Type&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:42:38 PM »
correct, it is an abrasive. i use it but only because i am not out of it yet and i don't want to be wasteful and throw it out. i hate the mess and the red dye on my hands.

i have debated rinsing the cases in water and letting them dry. have not tried it yet.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
. But, more to your point, the film actually aids in reloading. With it there is no need for case lubrication. In and out of the dies with lessened friction.
Wow, the Rouge is an abrasive, not a lubricant. There is no way I'd have that stuff near my dies.

+1

I don't use treated media at all.  I'm interested in cleaning the brass, I don't care about polishing it beyond what the media does all by itself.  I typically use a 50/50 mix of corncob and walnut, run for 3-4 hours after decapping and that's it.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »
if there is anything (media dust, etc.) on
the cases wipe 'em off with a rag with maybe
some acetone or denatured alcohol on it.
it'll also take care of any traces of case lube.
i wipe all mine off anyway with a dry rag or
otherwise j.i.c. and it gives you an opportunity
to inspect them for any defects you might have
missed.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »
Thanx for all the tips, I'm gonna get some crushed walnuts and give it a try. I bought that inertia bullet puller(Frankfort), it sucks with my 7x57mauser. CHRISTmas shoppers wiped out Bass Pro, went there yesterday to get a rcbs puller and their out. Thanx again
Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
"IMO, ths product removes crud and shines faster. But, more to your point, the film actually aids in reloading. With it there is no need for case lubrication. In and out of the dies with lessened friction."

Try that with rifle cases and you'll see much more friction than you want on the "out" side.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
I couldn't agree more, I had to spray my 7x57 brass a little extra to work them.
Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
Shop for walnut shell on eBay.  You can buy 10 pounds very cheaply.  Another option is PetsMart in the bird section.  I they have tropical birds like parrots, they will probably have bulk walnut shell.
Some people add a conditioner to their shell.  I don't.  Never add any product like Brasso because the ammonia is not good for case life or storage.

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
I've got a pets mart close to the house. I heard a few people add a couple teaspoons Flitz in the mix. I'm leaning toward getting a tumbler and using the SS pins.

Thanx
Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 04:13:46 AM »
I use untreated corn cob media.  I tumble for about 6 hours and its done.  Nie and shiney.  I found rouge media just caked up in the tumbler and in the cases over time.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!