Author Topic: Thinking of a new barrel(s)  (Read 690 times)

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
Thinking of a new barrel(s)
« on: February 13, 2004, 06:24:09 PM »
I havent even got my 223 barrel fully broken in yet or a scope on the 270 barrel and I already thinking about more barrels. I want a 45/70 just because. But I dont know which other one to get. I have a 243 bolt gun. A 30/30 lever. I was thinking maybe a 308 or a 22/250 when they come out.
Ill be punching a lot of paper with it, I have a 200 yard range in my back yard. Two or three times a year we head out to shoot p-dogs in north Texas. What would you get knowing what I have and what I would be useing it for?? And dont say all of them :wink:

Ron

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 07:09:46 PM »
I feel your pain brother...It's a sickness and it can't be helped.  I have the sickness too but luckily I have been able to fight it...If I were you I would order the 308 and the 22-250 barrel...You may want to throw in a 25-06 barrel to boot...Aww...What the heck, just buy all of them.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 02:54:04 AM »
:D, Hello brother Ron, I feel your pain, which to buy, which to buy? I have pig hunted in Texas before and hope to return someday. Looking at what you have for Handis and other calibers in other guns I would say get the 45-70 for now and satisfiy that initial itch you have for it. Texas has a proud history with guns and old calibers and that matches the 45-70. For the area I hunted pigs, in and around "Carpenters Gap", pigs could reach 300+ pounds and a nice 45-70 Handi, either synthetic or wood stocked would be just the ticket. I know it's a single shot so you must have already picked out a nearby sturdy tree just in case, but the truth be known I was hunting them with my traditional longbow and handmade wooden arrows, probably not the wisest of choices but boy what fun!! I would do it all over again but the 45-70 really reaches out to me as the perfect pig gun, also good for those Texas deer in the woods and brush out to about 150 yards.  If you are looking for something else and reload (to keep ammo costs down) look into the 7mm-08, a great .284 round. Seems as if you have everthing else covered, except of course the rimfires, .17 HMR, .22 Mag and .22LR, great fun all.  My .17 HMR is a tackdriver and my .22 Mag for coyotes should be in any day now, they could call today and it's off to pick it up!! I love my .223 for coyotes but it is a bit heavy with the bull barrel,  laminated stock and 6.5-20x50 Scope, I usually carry it for miles on snowshoes through some pretty thick woods and the shots are almost all under 75 yards so I'm setting up a lightweight .22 Mag to try for just that purpose, it's wonderful to have a valid (?) reason to buy another gun!!!  Come to think of it, just buy the 45-70 barrel now. Then for about a total of $200.00 you could buy a Sportster in .17 HMR and then order a .22 Mag barrel for it, the .17 HMR would be just just the ticket for P-dogs out to 200 yards.  OK, thats my suggestion, a Sportster with a .17 HMR with an additional .22 Mag barrel, OR, better still, both rifles, a 17 HMR and a .22Mag, only about $40.00 more (appx $240-$250 plus tax) than one gun and an additional barrel after you figure in the shipping!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 05:40:49 AM »
YEP! :-D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 06:18:06 AM »
I vote for the 22 Hornet.  Bob's got one and I like it a lot.  I was thinking about picking one up but I have too many calibers to work up loads for already...

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 06:37:15 AM »
With you already having that .223, I'd think the .308, or the 7mm-08, would round out your lineup nicely. You'll like the 45/70, even if it is just because. It's a fun round to shoot, and makes a fine hunting round. It's almost as much fun choosing your next barrel as it is shooting them.
Don

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 04:01:58 PM »
MSP I do have a ruger 10/22. I got to shoot a 17hmr the last hunt we went on. I really liked it and I will get one but I dont know if I want to get a sportster or a Marlin 17v. I havent read much on the 7mm-08 so I dont know much about the round. I didnt list all the rounds that I have, but it goes like this 7.62x39,7.62x54,22lr,223,243,270,30/30,12ga,16ga,20ga & a 410 most are for more than on gun.
Haywood I looked at the hornet but I am going to get a 17 and with the 223 its just to small a nich to worry about.
I dont reload as of yet, but I almost have all the gear to do it so I will be reloading soon.

Ron

Offline .308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 04:08:29 PM »
Hey, what you said sounds good. .45-70 just because. I like your choice of the .308 and the .22-250. If you didn't have the .270 already, I'd say go for the .280. I've been daydreaming of another .30 cal. undecided which, .30-30 or .308. Another .22 centerfire would be good, like you said about the .45-70, I say the .22 Hornet just because, maybe bump it up to a K-Hornet. Got two barrels on the way right now, the wait is driving me nuts. Don't know if I can go thru this again. Dang it, all these guys got their .357 Max already and I ain't even got my barrel YET.  :cry: