Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery's Ninth What is it? Where is it? Contest  (Read 3379 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Seacoast Artillery's Ninth What is it? Where is it? Contest
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »
      Seacoast Artillery Company just contributed $ 500 to Graybeard's Christmas Fund, so it is our pleasure to Sponsor the Mortar and Cannon Forum for yet another year!!  To show our appreciation to the entire membership for this privilege, we created a Ninth,    What is it?   Where is it?   Contest.  It will be started at 9 P.M. Eastern Time on Friday, December 28, 2012.

New members especially are encouraged to give it a try and please know that it’s all for fun and entertainment.  You don’t need a huge Artillery or Cannon Type Library, just Google!  Clues in the photos abound and there are some good ones in the picture captions as well.  So, put on your Sherlock Holmes Hat and join us for some FUN !!

I forgot to mention, if you win this year’s contest and the title, “Cannon Hunter for the Ages”, you will be accorded all the rights and privileges bestowed on someone with that title!   While it’s not quite as profitable as GBO Moderator pay, people from all over the world will want to meet you.  Is that not enough?? 

Tracy & Mike    Seacoast artillery Company  See the example below:

From our Seventh Contest comes this ID and Location question:

4.( The area is so heavily wooded that the river cannot be seen although it is very close by.  A significant portion of the center-pintle carriage parts are original.  This heavy gun battery was in one of the ‘Circle of Forts’.)

Cannoneer provided the correct answer which was this: "15 inch Rodman Gun M1861 at Fort Foote, Maryland" or words to that effect for 100% credit for number 4.  If you can work this one out by using "Robinson's Battery" site for the cannon ID and clues in the caption like "circle of forts" and a " the river cannot be seen although it is very close by", then you should have no trouble with the up coming contest.
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Seacoast Artillery's Gift for GBO Mortar and Cannon Forum Members
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
It will be started at 9 P.M. Mountain Time, 7 P.M. Eastern on Friday, December 28, 2012.
Why does it start 4 hours earlier for the east coast people?
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »
     Thanks for pointing that out, Jeeper!  Start time is changed and highlighted in RED.

T&M

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:05:43 AM »
OK , I'll play and although my 'Search Fu' is weak at this point my odds look at least 50/50 ....pretty good !  8)

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Seacoast's "Rifled Liner" SUPER DEAL and the NINTH Cannon I.D. CONTEST
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 07:19:56 AM »
     Thanks Gary!  So far it's just you and JD who sent an email two days ago to say he would give it a try.  Somehow I think a record number of members will take a stab at it after they read about the SUPER DEAL below.  Who knows, maybe not, but that's good news for those that do, because there would be less competition. Right?  Oh well, we'll see what happens this evening.

Good morning everyone from sunny, but chilly (22 Deg. F.), Broomfield, Colorado.  Good news for GBO Members can now be announced.  In addition to the excitement of the release this evening of Seacoast's NINTH Contest, we can assure everyone who expressed interest in having Seacoast Artillery produce affordable "Rifled Cannon Sleeves" (Liners) and "Rifled Cannon Blanks", as of yesterday we have taken the first serious step in advancing that capability, shop re-org and expansion.  Although our schedule will have slid about 7 months we can see the first production tubes being shipped in July of 2013. 

Mike is finally on board with this major addition to our line.  It took a lot of arm twisting on my part, but he wants a new, larger lathe, to say O.K.!!  What a haggler; he should run a flea market with his talents in that area.   He also wants to do a second edition of the Krupp Howitzer by next September.  Bravo, but we are both tired of large production runs, so 10 units only will be produced.

Listen up.  To celebrate our best year ever, we will, for one time only, give a single lucky GBO Mortar and Cannon member a SUPER DEAL on a Rifled Cannon Sleeve, the first one ever produced by Seacoast Artillery Company.  There are only two things you need to do:

FIRST, Win the Cannon I.D. and Location Contest which starts tonight at 9 P.M. Eastern Time and SECOND, send us a check for $10.  That's it!!  We even pay the shipping!  With a retail price of between 400 and 600 dollars, you get a pretty good return on investment!!!

Are we Nuts?  No, this is just one way to create some Buzz about a new product.  Pretty good incentive for sending a little time at the 'puter, eh??  You will have to wait about 7 to 8 months for that first one to roll out, but Hey, for a deal like that who's in a hurry?

Got to go now, I just thought of another clue for No. 11, the last Contest cannon question.

Mike & Tracy

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18:09 AM »
Reissue of the Krupp or second issue in the Fire Cracker cannon  series?

Where do i send my check for how much for  my liner?

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
    Double D.,    We had the First Edition of the Krupp Howitzer M1866 previously.  This will be the Second Edition of that same cannon or maybe a longer tube version which we will have to call the Krupp Seacoast Gun.

If you win the   "What is it?  Where is it?  Contest"   you can send us your check for $10 when we tell you the liner is almost completed.  If you DO NOT win the Contest, we will let you know how much the retail price of the liners is after we make a prototype in May or June 2013.

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
Retail less my Senior Citizen discount shouldn't be to bad...do you take Medicare? :)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Seacoast Artillery's Ninth What is it? Where is it? Contest
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »

Double D.  Is this true? Can a two-time winner possibly have Butterflies in his tummy?  Senior Discounts???  You must have us confused with Golden Coral!!  HA.  Medicare can probably be arranged if you get "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" from to much high speed typing, you know copying those sections of Wikipedia ordnance entries.  Remember only about 75% of that stuff is accurate on technical subjects.

Contestants can use this cannon delivery and research trip itinerary of our September travels as another resource for the cannon location half of each cannon question.  A couple specific  town locations are on this list, but most are not listed, being nearby along the map route indicated by these towns listed.  We delivered cannons around the United States in September of 2012 and took lots of photos too.      Our itinerary included the route indicated by these towns listed in chronological order:  Denver, CO to Charleston, WV to Pulaski, VA to Roanoke, VA to Lexington, VA to Frederick, MD to Harrisburg, PA to Phoenixville, PA to Valley Forge, PA to Scranton, PA to Kingston, NY to Red Hook, NY to Croton-on-Hudson, NY to Sayville, NY to New Haven, CT to New London, CT to Hartford, CT to Springfield, MA to Lowell, MA to Bangor, ME to Presque Isle, ME to Bucksport, ME to Rockland, ME to Portland, ME to Bath, ME to Manchester, NH to Windsor, VT to Hartford, CT to Philadelphia, PA to Chester, PA to Carlisle, PA to Latrobe, PA to  Wheeling, WV to St. Louis, MO to Denver, CO to Cheyenne, WY to Salt Lake City, UT to Sacramento, CA to Portland, OR to Spokan, WA to Billings, MT to Denver, CO
                                 SEACOAST ARTILLERY COMPANY’S NINTH
            Happy New Year!

“WHAT IS IT?    WHERE IS IT?   CONTEST"

All those participating will be vying for the Title:  Cannon Hunter For The Ages.
    This Contest is dedicated to all those people Mike and I have met over the years all around this great country of ours who have asked us all sorts of interesting questions about cannons, artillery and fort construction. 

All members entering this contest will be asked to provide the type of cannon and it’s location for each of the cannon photos provided.  To encourage more participants, we will continue the practice of awarding ½ credit for the Type and ½ credit for the location. Give both and you get 1 full credit.  The member with the most credits at the end of the traditional, two day, contest will be declared the winner.

First, your answer should include a general description of the cannon as to it’s TYPE:  Naval, Seacoast, Field  or Siege and at least one element of it’s specific description such as ( 24 Pdr.) ( Seige and Garrison  Howitzer) ( M1844), more commonly called the 24 Pdr. (Flank Howitzer)  M1844.  Please include this information, because credit cannot be given if you do not.  The BORE SIZE is NOT necessary.  A guess here is O.K.

Second, your answer should include the location of the cannon.  The nearest city or town and state is the minimum location. The name of the Fort, Ship, Park, Cemetery, Courthouse, Beach, Road, etc. is really nice to include, but not required.

Please remember these things:  One, nobody really takes these Contests seriously and the purpose of all this is simply to have some fun.  Hints will be given as to an answer for a particularly difficult question and NOT to a particular contestant.  The winner receives our respect, applause, admiration and accolades.  Sorry, no free cannons!  We traveled all over the United States to take these photos, almost 9,000 miles on the latest trip, alone.

Have Fun !      Mike and Tracy        Seacoast Artillery Company

I’ll be loading the photos and captions for at least a half hour or maybe a whole hour, so please be patient.  Thanks.

1)   Immediately prior to the start of The War Between the States, this cannon was used by a Professor of Natural and Experimental Philosophy to train young men about the proper use of artillery.  It and three others were given Biblical names, because they spoke a powerful language.  If you know what it is, you will know where it is.

2)   This one has an unmistakable profile.  The similar sized 4.2” Parrott Siege rifle was far more popular,because of better ammunition.  Located approx. 46 miles north and a little east, (across the Hudson) of Orange County Choppers in a small cemetery at the town’s southern edge.  The staccato, rat-tat-tat of WWI aircraft machine gun fire is heard nearby every weekend during the summer.  Coal dust bombs are dropped on WWI tanks and armored cars.

3)   This cannon was designed to do just one thing, to stop infantry or landing party attacks before the attacking force could gain the heights of a fort’s scarp or main exterior wall.  Firing canister at close range, one of these could turn a scaling ladder into kindling with one shot.  These were used at almost every seacoast fort in America in the defense of the ditch.  Enough clues as to location exist in this photo near the green van owned by my former college roommate who became a U.S. Army 8” Howitzer Battery X.O. during the Vietnam years.

4)   This cannon has lines which are very similar to a Bronze 6 Pdr. Model 1841.  It is a transitional model of slightly earlier vintage.  It’s a little shorter than the ’41.  A big clue for location is within the photo.  Spuddy knows where this one is.

5)   Mike’s handspan is a little over 8”.  This 50,000 Lb. behemoth is in the right hand water battery about 50 feet above the river.  This large seacoast smoothbore was emplaced to give this very unique, all granite fort, one of only two in the U.S., long range protection along the likely avenue of enemy approach from the south.

6)   This cannon looks very similar to another, far more famous cousin.  This is the one we described a month or two ago and showed a photo of it sporting a Regulation Slide Lock.   It has a longer reinforce and is longer overall than it’s famous, same cal., brethren  and weighs about 1,000 Lbs. more than the more famous one.   Do you see an elevation screw?  No.  They were both designed as shell guns, but this one used a quoin for elevation adjustments!  Not one was delivered for use before the end of the Civil War, yet five contracts for more than 400 of these guns were let in 1864, 1865 and 1866.  Politics?  You bet.  Clues for location abound in this photo.

7)   With that “mushroom cascabel” and not a straight line on it, that tube can be only one type.  With Mike and the photo, most of you can get the bore size too.  The location is elusive though.  This is the “other” all granite fort in the United States and it’s  Egyptian  Revival architecture makes it very unique as it is the only one designed that way in the U.S.  The large town that this fort was eventually built to protect was mostly burned to the ground by a substantial British raiding party in 1781, led by this nation’s most famous traitor, Benedict Arnold.

8)   Mike stands next to the seacoast gun that we have named  “Quincy Gilmore’s Terror Toy”.  It fired only 36 rounds in 1863, before energetically disassembling itself, yet became the second best known, (to the Dictator of Petersburg fame) of all the famous cannon of the Civil War.  It’s use in bombarding city-dwelling, civilians made Gilmore very much hated in the south.  It’s hard to tell if he was hated more or less than “Spoons” Butler of New Orleans infamy, as it seems they were both vying for that title.  The gun’s location today can be determined by answering another question.  Where did General George Washington have his first victory in the Revolutionary War?  Napoleon used EXACTLY the same field artillery tactics when attacking troop garrisons in towns and cities.

9a)   These guns were mounted in casemate positions like the one here and also in barbette mounts like those topside on this famous ship.  While the origins of this gun were foreign, this gun was state of the art in 1898.  These “quick firing” guns were made mostly in Britain.  Can you imagine how disconcerting it would be as a gunner to have an empty, ejected brass shell casing bounce off that bronze “case deflector” shown in the photo?  The location of the ship can be easily found after you know the ship’s name which is very similar to the name of the mountain which was home to all those gods of Greek mythology.

9b)   The other side showing Mike and gun details and a better look at this ship’s typical casemate “blister” .  The steel is three inches thick in this area.  The bronze boss for the rear sight was half way along the shoulder stock tube on the gun’s left side.  Right shoulder only on the stock please as you want to be to the left of the case ejection trajectory!

10)   For bronze cannon lovers, this is the place of dreams.  This place has lots of cannon and almost all of them are bronze. They are far and away the very best of replica British bronze artillery.  Size, shape, weight are all authentic and well researched.  This particular gun is super impressive because of it’s size.  And you thought the French were top dogs with their monster 12 inch iron mortars which they used on Fort McHenry on Lake George, NY.  Ha!  This Big Bronze British Brute sports a huge tube with a 13” dia. bore and a large bed.  Location of this Colonial British fort was the most advanced in a long string of such forts in their quest during the French and Indian War to reach further and further westward in order to conquer French, Fort Duquesne.

11)   South Bend Replicas sold a replica of this type of heavy mortar to Fort McAlister, Georgia.  The original had to be located more than 100 feet outside the main fort because it’s firing produced vibrations which tended to reduce the height of sand and marsh sod ramparts.  There are five of these left today in the U.S.  Four of these are in this photo collected long ago from an unknown website.  Mike and I saw the fifth one at Watervliet Arsenal when we visited in 2004.  The location of the 4 in this photo is due East of Erie, Pennsylvania and West South West of Schenectady, New York.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
Number 5.  15" seacoast Rodman, FOrt Jay Governors Island New York Harbor

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
Re: Seacoast Artillery's Ninth What is it? Where is it? Contest
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »
Number 1.  one of Stonewall Jackson's 1848 Six Pounder.  Virginia Military Institute.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »
Mathieu Mark Luke and John added to number 1.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
11.  1841 10" Seacoast Mortar.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
     Cannon Cocker,   You have one half credit for type on #s 1 and 5 and 11.  Remember Town/City closest to gun AND Sate is a requirement. You also have correctly IDd #11 with the two required elements, that it is a Mortar and also that it is a specific type of mortar, a Seacoast Mortar.  The 1841 has been changed to 1840 in almost all modern reference volumes including our go to book for all cannons of the siege, naval or seacoast types, the Big Red Book, The Big Guns, Civil War Siege, Seacoast, and Naval Cannon. Written bu Olmstead, Stark and Tucker, it is by far the most carefully researched reference book we have ever owned.  Excellent Start!!  Keep going!

Tracy

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
512 Letcher Avenue  Lexington, VA 24450

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
5.  Upper new York Bay New York

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »
3. Location:  Sag Harbor, New York

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
11. 10" seacoast mortars 1840 model
Binghamton, ny 
Crud! too late

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »
     Cannon Cocker,  very good on #1.  You now have Full Credit on that one.  Not New York harbor on #5.  We will not give you specific clues, but watch every entry we make for possible clues on various cannon question numbers tomorrow.  Good going.  Oh, you now have FULL CREDIT on #11.  That was not easy!  Great deer hunting around Binghamton, NY,  big 'ole corn-fed Southern Tier DEER!   I saw a 230 pounder once with a huge rack to match.

Tracy

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
5. Fort Warren on Georges Island, Masechusetts (sp)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Number 9, 6 pounder anti-torpedo boat guns. Olympia, Independance Seaport Museum, Philadelphia, Pa  http://www.phillyseaport.org/olympia   
It doesn't look like the 1 pounders I found pictures of.

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 04:19:44 PM »
10. Fort Ligonier Pennsylvania
Menno Coehorn. 1641-1704

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »
     Sorry skidmark!  I guess you have to be quick around here.  Cannon Cocker is evidently on a mission.  However his lead is by no means insurmountable.  CC you just got one of the SOBs that I threw in there; nice going on the location for #3.  One half Credit for CC on 3.

MY error, skidmark, you have the location on #10 for 1/2 credit.  That mortar is HUGE!  What type would you call that?

Tracy

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »
7.  fort trumbull new london, Ct.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
7.  8" converted rodman rifles seacoast

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
10.  Fort Ligonier, PA

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
    I'm going to have to get quick just to keep up with you guys.  Nice going on location for #10, skidmark.  You have half Credit on that one!  Lots and Lots of beautiful bronze guns in that re-created fort. 

Flagman, you have 1/2 credit on #9 for location.  A fascinating ship they have there.  What type of gun is it?  Cannon Cocker, Fort Warren? No. We have been there and the only 15" Rodman Guns they have are both fiberglass and hollow.  Sorry.  You seen to be moving North, not a bad route of march. 

CC, nice going on #7, it's Ft. Trumbull in New London, CT all right!  Did not see that you got the 8" conversion.  Excellent!  For those who wonder how you did that, I would venture that you saw those concentric rings on the muzzle face which indicates a muzzle insertion of the 8" rifled, wrought iron or steel liner in the cast iron, 10" Rodman Gun.  Full credit to Cannon Cocker on #7.       

Tracy

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
how bout 13" British Seige Mortar for #10

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
   Skidmark,  You have done it.  BINGO!  Excellent type description on #10.  Keep going.

Tracy