Author Topic: jackpot today  (Read 682 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
jackpot today
« on: February 14, 2004, 12:01:45 AM »
my buddy and neighbor works at the local paper mill and brough me some more babit hes brought me 10 lbs bars in the past. Today he brought me 110 lbs of it in bars. He even has the osha print out on it. Its 94% tin 5 %antimony and 1% tin. Should keep me in tin for a good long time. I must have about 150 lbs of it now.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
jackpot today
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 02:40:07 AM »
94% tin 5 %antimony and 1% tin

Is that a misprint? Tin is listed twice and lead isn't mentioned at all but is usually a major ingredient in babbit. Zinc is also often used in babbit as is copper but there are many different compositions of it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
jackpot today
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 07:00:25 AM »
yup the 1 % is copper
Quote from: Graybeard
94% tin 5 %antimony and 1% tin

Is that a misprint? Tin is listed twice and lead isn't mentioned at all but is usually a major ingredient in babbit. Zinc is also often used in babbit as is copper but there are many different compositions of it.

GB
blue lives matter

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Why Uncle Lloyd I didn't know you was rich!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 07:27:00 AM »
Just a kidding!I KNOW you will put that to good use down revolver barrels!Stay warm friend,Jeff. :D
John 3:16

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
jackpot today
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 08:44:06 AM »
Isn't disolved copper in lead alloy something to be avoided if you are casting bullets, or shooting them? I know it's used for bearings, but for  bullets? 8)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
jackpot today
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 09:23:14 AM »
ived used this babbit for years if you melt it down and then lower the heat the copper will come to the top where you can skim it off. I found though that when your only adding this babbit to lead at a 5 % ratio at the max that the ammount of copper thats in it doesnt hurt a thing and i quit bothering skimming it.
blue lives matter

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
jackpot today
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 05:36:15 PM »
GB,
OSHA won't let us use lead based babbitt anymore. I work in a sawmill here in Eufaula, and the only thing we can get is nickle babbitt. Cast pure, it makes some mighty hard and very light bullets, but mixed with lead or Wheel weights, the bullets are more to the given weight, and still very hard. I've been using it for almost 20 years with no ill effects.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Shoot!

jackpot today
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 06:56:03 PM »
My father-in-law works at a mill here in Arkansas and I got a lot of nickle babbit from him (mostly Fry 4X). From my research the composition of it is:
88.5% tin
7.5% antimony
3.5% copper and
0.5% nickel
This is oughta be good stuff for mixing into wheelweights.
The real score was about 200 lbs of lead based babbitt (Tuftex alloy) with the following makeup:
87-88% lead
9% antimony
3% tin
0.3% each copper and nickel
I haven't cast anything with this yet.  I'm hoping for about 18-20BHN with the lead-based babbit, but fear the little bit of nickel is gonna shoot the hardness way up. Anybody know?
Thanks!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
jackpot today
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 11:59:58 PM »
when you consider that the babbit only has .5 percent tin and that your only going to use a max of about 7percent babbit in your mix that if im figureing it right and im no math expert is only about .o1 precent nickle and i dont think thats enough to add much if any hardness to your bullets. Ive tested the stuff with simular ammounts of copper in it and with the copper taken out and weight and hardness are the same.
blue lives matter

Offline hubbard

jackpot today
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 04:52:51 AM »
i've used babbitt in my mix and get the same results as i do when i mix in 50-50 bar solder. my bullets don't seem to realize there are any trace elements in the mix.