Author Topic: Nikon 2.5 x 8 EER vs. Leupold 2.5 x 8 EER - opinions?  (Read 972 times)

Offline braud357

• Trade Count: (0)
Nikon 2.5 x 8 EER vs. Leupold 2.5 x 8 EER - opinions?
« on: February 14, 2004, 03:37:13 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has used the new Nikon 2.5 x 8 EER scopes; and, how it may compare with the Leupold. It is advertised to have 1/4 minute click adjustments. Another plus is that it is a bit less in price compared with the Leupold. Would appreciate your opinions and comments. --- Thanks !! --- Philip Braud

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Nikon 2.5 x 8 EER vs. Leupold 2.5 x 8 EER -
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 05:09:35 AM »
In my opinion, the Nikon Monarch series scopes are outstanding, which includes the Handgun scopes too.  I probably would take the Nikon over the Leupold.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline braud357

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 12:38:09 PM »
Thanks Jon - was wondering - how is the eye relief compared to the Leupold (as good?) also, how repeatable are the click adjustments? are they comparable to, say, the Elite 3200. I am looking for another scope for IHMSA UAS class and would like to know more about the Nikon before I invest in another Leupold. - thanks again ! - Philip Braud

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 12:49:39 PM »
Philip,

Below are the eye reliefs from the manufacturers catalogs:

Nikon Monarch 2.5-8x28  12-30 (@2.5x) 9-13 (@8x)
Leupold Vari-X 2.5-8x32, EEF  15" on all powers.

I personally like the Nikon Scopes.  I would put the Monarch series up to the old Vari-X III's any day.  I also like the 1/4" click adjustments, which the Nikons have,  over the friction adjustments of the Leupold.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline yankees1

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 04:19:53 PM »
Quote from: TheOpticZone
Philip,

Below are the eye reliefs from the manufacturers catalogs:

Nikon Monarch 2.5-8x28  12-30 (@2.5x) 9-13 (@8x)
Leupold Vari-X 2.5-8x32, EEF  15" on all powers.

I personally like the Nikon Scopes.  I would put the Monarch series up to the old Vari-X III's any day.  I also like the 1/4" click adjustments, which the Nikons have,  over the friction adjustments of the Leupold.
   Jon, Do you think the Monarch Gold will stand up to the repeated recoil of a 340 mag over a long period of time?

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 12:45:08 AM »
Yankee, that is a good question.  I am not sure, but I would probably say that it would, since the Monarch Golds are 30mm tubes and typically the internal parts are stronger than a 1" tube.  That is a pretty big gun and I don't know if Nikon does any testing on recoil or not.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 05:23:58 AM »
You may want to take a look at the Elite 3200 handgun scopes.  I don't know if the handgun scopes are as strong as the rifle scopes, but I have an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x on my .375H&H Mag and it has held-up perfectly!

Also, from what I understand, the Elite 3200 handgun scope also has constant eye relief, which you may, or may not, like.

Zachary

Offline braud357

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 02:59:34 PM »
Zachary - I am VERY familiar with the Elites: I have (2) Elite 3000's and just purchased a Elite 3200. For those that are interested - I have been using these scopes for for IHMSA silhouette; both Big Bore and smallbore. One of the Elite 3000's has been mounted on a 10" Anschutz Exemplar for the past 3 years. The elevation has been cranked up and down more times than I could count and it continues to return to zero - EVERY TIME ! These scopes are great - max eye relief, clarity, and repeatibility of adjustment. They are a bargain for the price. I do have a Leoupold 2.5 x 8 EER mounted on a XP-100 7TCU. That is the reason for the original posting - was wondering if the Nikon could compete - because the 2 extra "X's" of magnification are nice. But, I have nothing but praise for the Bushnell Elites. I also use a Elite 3200 4 x 12 rifle scope that I use on another Anschutz for IHMSA Unlimited-Standing category. This is also a great scope - comparable to Leupold (my opinion), for much less money. I think that the useage that I have given these scopes gives a true test of their quality; because I sight-in for point-of-aim at every distance out to 100 yards. So, they are cranked up and down every time I use them, always returning to zero. -- PS , bought the (2) Elite 3200's from Jon at "The Optic Zone" !!! (free plug !!) ------ Philip Braud

Offline Gregory

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 12:31:37 PM »
I love my Leupold VariX III riflescopes.  I have two.  That being said, on my handguns I use Nikon 2X scopes in favor of Leupolds.   I have owned Leupold EER 2X and 4X scopes.  The Nikon 2X is brighter and has a larger field of view.   I've not tried the Nikon EER variable, but I would like to.
I have two Burris 2-7X variable EER scopes and although the optics are fine, one had to go back for repair after 10 shots on my TC 44 Mag.  I've never had to have a Nikon or Leupold repaired.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)