Author Topic: Gays rushing to San Fran to tie the knot  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Gays rushing to San Fran to tie the knot
« on: February 14, 2004, 04:20:02 AM »
Opponents, gays rush to San Francisco

By LISA LEFF
ASSOCIATED PRESS
2/13/2004 02:02 pm
SAN FRANCISCO — Opponents of gay marriage filed suit Friday to stop an extraordinary act of ongoing civil disobedience in San Francisco, where under the direction of newly elected Mayor Gavin Newsom, the city has begun issuing marriage licenses to gay couples in defiance of state law.

Weddings were continuing Friday and over the long holiday weekend, and despite the effort by the Campaign for California Families to obtain a restraining order from a judge that would prevent the city from issuing more licenses or officiating at more ceremonies inside the ornate City Hall.

But under normal legal procedures and because of MondayÂ’s PresidentÂ’s Day court holiday, it appeared unlikely that anyone would succeed in blocking the gay marriages before Tuesday.

“Frankly it was a brilliant strategy. They got it done. The unfortunate fact is that these people who think they are married may find out Tuesday they are not,” Richard Ackerman, an attorney for the conservative group, said Friday.

Around the country, gays and lesbians emboldened by San Francisco’s move and by the constitutional debate over gay marriage in Massachusetts went to courthouses Thursday and Friday demanding their own marriage licenses — and getting summarily rejected, since every state in the nation bans gay marriage.

But in San Francisco, with the mayorÂ’s blessing, the county clerk has issued nearly 100 marriage licenses to same-sex couples, and counting. Many of the weddings have taken in place in quick civil ceremonies inside the ornate City Hall, and the clerkÂ’s office planned to remain open Saturday in observance of ValentineÂ’s Day.

“I’m not interested as a mayor in moving forward with a separate but unequal process for people to engage in marriages,” Newsom said in an interview Friday on ABC News’ “Good Morning America.” “I think the people of this city and certainly around the state are feeling that separate but unequal doesn’t make sense.”

In all, 87 couples took their vows on the spot Thursday. By Friday morning, 300 more had lined up to get their licenses, many of them driving into town from as far as Los Angeles for the chance to marry.

“Even people who are anti-gay marriage might shift their thinking now and realize it’s most harmful to take something away when someone already has it,” said Virginia Garcia, 40, after wedding Sheila Sernovitz, 50, her partner of 14 years.

They cityÂ’s bold move, however, caused an outcry from elected officials and groups opposed to marriage rights for same-sex couples.

Campaign for California Families asked that a Superior Court judge issue a restraining order that would prevent the issuance of any more licenses to the same-sex couples, to void any licenses that have been granted, and to require city officials to abide by the rules that govern changes in law.

“Apparently, Mayor Newsom felt he’s above the law and like a dictator, could simply dictate what the law should be. And he has no authority to do that, either under the city charter or state law,” Ackerman said.

While it remains unclear what practical value the marriage licenses will carry, their symbolism was self-evident as lawmakers in Massachusetts debate a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage but legalize civil unions.

City officials tried to keep the first marriage — between longtime lesbian activists Phyllis Lyon, 79, and Del Martin, 83 — confidential so they could complete it before any court intervention. The pair, who will celebrate 51 years together on Valentine’s Day, were wed by San Francisco Assessor Mabel Teng at 11:10 a.m. in a closed-door ceremony.

Afterward, Lyon said she “never dreamed” that she and Martin would be wed within their lifetimes, but that she was excited “to make it legal.” Newsom wasn’t present at that ceremony, but later presented the couple with a signed copy of the state constitution with sections related to equal rights highlighted.

“I don’t think there is anyone in good conscience who can tell me that denying the same rights my wife Kimberly and I have to same-sex couples is anything but discrimination,” said Newsom, who maintains the equal protection clause of the California Constitution obliges the city to grant marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples.

The secrecy that surrounded the Lyon-Martin wedding ended up being unnecessary since California courts were closed in observance of LincolnÂ’s Birthday. It also meant that many couples started their days with no idea they would wed by evening.

As word spread, they rushed to City Hall, most dressed casually in jeans with hastily assembled witnesses, and holding hands as they waited in a long line to pay their $82 license fee. The marble passages beneath City Hall’s ornate golden dome echoed with applause as jubilant couples breezed through brief ceremonies, promising to be “spouses for life” instead of husband and wife.

“There is a part that doesn’t feel romantic at all, but obviously it feels historic,” said Guillermo Guerra, 29, who married Andrew Parsons, 39, his partner of eight years.

San Francisco officials acknowledged they might have a long court fight ahead of them, but insisted that the licenses were legally binding, saying they would immediately confer new benefits in areas ranging from health coverage to funeral arrangements. At the same time, the freshly revised marriage applications they issued encouraged “same-gender couples” to “seek legal advice regarding the effect of entering into marriage.”

“Marriage of lesbian and gay couples may not be recognized as valid by any jurisdiction other than San Francisco, and may not be recognized as valid by any employer,” the disclaimer said.

Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, who shared officiating duties at City Hall with the assessor and four of her deputies, formally introduced legislation that would legalize same-sex marriage throughout California. “It is a tandem challenge,” Leno said. “One will be heard in a judicial setting, and the other in a legislative setting.”

Other state officials, including Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, shied away from commenting on the events. Attorney General Bill Lockyer said through a spokeswoman he hasnÂ’t been asked to issue an opinion on the legality of same-sex marriages under California law.

But Lockyer has asked his civil rights enforcement section to review how Massachusetts’ legal debate might apply to California law. “California’s constitution provides broader equal protection rights than other states,” spokeswoman Hallye Jordan said.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 06:42:09 AM »
Yea leave it to SanFrancisco :x
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline parkinsonsd

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 07:23:12 AM »
This forum is "Marlin Talk".  Why you feel compelled to put this issue into a forum regarding Marlin Firearms is beyond me.
um, er, yeah.  okay.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 11:43:38 AM »
Quote from: parkinsonsd
This forum is "Marlin Talk".  Why you feel compelled to put this issue into a forum regarding Marlin Firearms is beyond me.
As a moderator here I do not have a issue with it as we are using this site as a open forum what ever you want to talk about. That said I guess GB we should split things up so folks that have a issue with a open discussion can post their firearms postings in the appropriate catagory. Just one comment Parkinsonsd if you look at the postings here it is not all about guns and would be a lot less postings if it was. Like I said I earlier I have no issue either way on the splitting up the forums but if folks are going to start to complain about what goes where and how many post others are posting then maybe it would be appropriate to split them up in our own little area as GB has offered. As Martha said its a good thing ?????  :lol:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 12:40:29 PM »
Dali Llama say he suppose he could likewise say he not know wy parkinsonsd feel compelled to use "parkinsonsd" as a moniker... :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 02:16:53 PM »
I would have to second Park's question - this board has a Misc Forum and such topics are most correctly placed there.  The operant word here is Marlin - and topics could be better enjoyed and time not wasted if these topics were at a minimum loosely tied to Marlin rifles.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 02:54:17 PM »
Nanook I do not have a issue with the way this board is going in fact I encourge it as it is becoming a lively board just like MT MISC was only moderated. I know you have issues with this so that is why maybe we should split up the marlin/nef section into several different sections and leave this one the way it is. I have no desire as you suggested to play traffic cop  or mailman and route different post to where you think they are appropriate. As far as I am concerned this is a open forum where you are free to discuss most anything amounst the former MT members and who ever else want to join in as long as there is no cussing, fighting, namecalling or bickering!  Jim

Offline powderman

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 03:51:43 PM »
I'm either not getting out or my posts are being deleted, which is it? I'm beginning to believe truth is not welcome here. POWDERMAN.  :(  :(  :(  :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 04:02:01 PM »
Quote from: powderman
I'm either not getting out or my posts are being deleted, which is it? I'm beginning to believe truth is not welcome here. POWDERMAN.  :(  :(  :(  :(

Powderman I have not deleted any of your post so I will ask GB if there has been a posting issue as they are working on the server. Try posting a few more post and see what happens?? By all means we want your imput. Jim

Offline dodgecity

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 05:46:27 PM »
I regularly scan many of the forums on this site. In the process, I may open a dozen or more posts that appear to be of interest. Of those, I normally respond to only a few. I don't understand why anyone would open a post, when they were not interested in the subject, or, waste their time responding to that post. I'm sure the moderators will deal with inappropriate material. Aside from that, live and let live.

Offline Red Canyon

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 03:40:16 AM »
Dali,  What was the purpose of this Post?
Red Canyon  AKA 44 WCF

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 04:01:27 AM »
Quote from: Red Canyon
Dali,  What was the purpose of this Post?

I am not talking for Dali but I would brave a guess as he posted it for the reason he post lots of his post. So we can read articles and comment on them that we might not see elsewhere and just for the sake of conversation. Jim

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 05:18:58 AM »
Oh no,is the in fighting amoung the troops starting? :twisted:  :evil:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 05:48:45 AM »
Quote from: dodgecity
I don't understand why anyone would open a post, when they were not interested in the subject, or, waste their time responding to that post.
Dali Llama say he also ponder same thing...  :?  Dali say some would apparently rather open thread and criticize poster than ignore thread if not interested??? :?  :?  :?  :?

Offline parkinsonsd

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »
For what it's worth . . .

I think this is a cool country.  We have all these people with different ideas, different backgrounds, different religions, and we all disagree with each other, but we got the right to disagree.

And there's fights over the rights of different races and religions and different sexes, and the thing of it, as I see it, is that we decided that we're going to allow, or rather insist, that minorities won't get trampled on by the majority.  That's just dern cool.  So then we got this thing about gays getting married.

I grew up in a place where hunting and shooting sports are frowned upon, and had these people had their way, no one would hunt or own a gun.  I've been called a murderer for shootin' a deer or a squirrel or a ground hog.  In my opinion they're all mighty tasty, but other people don't like it, but I have the right to do it, and I love doin' it, so I'm going to go hunting.

So gays want to get married.  My opinion is to live and let live.  I think it's more Christian to let other people find happiness if that's what they want than to say "I don't like it so you can't do it."  

Then there's arguments about homosexuality being against what God said in the Bible.  That may be true, but the Bible ain't law around here, and I'm glad for that.  I don't want someone telling me how I have to believe in God.  How I meet my maker is my own dern business.

Then people say that there's no right in the constitution for gays to marry.  There's not, but that's an interesting argument.  There's lots of things that aren't covered in the constitution.  There's no right to take a leak in the morning, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Then people say that gays are just trying to get money from the states.  I know lots of women who get married for the same reason, but not all of them do it, and I suspect not all gays who want to get married want it just for money reasons.

Then there's the thing about the institution of marriage and family, but I would guess gays can raise a family just as good as I or anyone else can.  It ain't who you're sleeping with, it's the values you try and instill in your kids.  I'm sure there are a lot of people around here who have cruddy values, and a lot of people around here who have great values.  But for all those, you got to look to the individual.

That's what I think, and since the moderator says it's ok to talk about this stuff, I reckon I can.
um, er, yeah.  okay.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2004, 11:35:07 AM »
the Bible ain't law around here, and I'm glad for that.  
:eek:  :shock: Dali Llama say he reckon some would differ with parkinsonsd on that... :eek:  :shock:

Offline powderman

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2004, 11:41:22 AM »
Homosexuality is an abomination in Gods eyes, I didn't say that, God did. They are a perverted bunch and should never be allowed around children, let alone raise them. We don't need anybody raising more sexual deviates, there are too many now. I'm sick of the news media, tv shows, even the Sunday comics shoving these sickos in our faces. Don't take my word for it, read all about it for yourself. I promise you this, there are not now, never have been, or ever will be any practicing UNREPENTENT homosexuals in Heaven. Read for yourself.
JOSHUA-Chapter 10, verse 13
ROMANS-Chapter 1, verses 26, 27, 28.
LEVITICUS-Chapter 18, verse 22
LEVITICUS-chapter 20 verse 13
EPHESIANS-Chapter 5, verse 12
DEUTERONOMY-chapter 22 verse 5
DEUTERONOMY chapter 23, verses 18, and 18.
Need more? POWDERMAN. :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 12:02:40 PM »
Can of desil fuel and a match . . .

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 12:04:41 PM »
Homosexuality is an abomination in Gods eyes, I didn't say that, God did. They are a perverted bunch and should never be allowed around children, let alone raise them. We don't need anybody raising more sexual deviates, there are too many now. I'm sick of the news media, tv shows, even the Sunday comics shoving these sickos in our faces. Don't take my word for it, read all about it for yourself. I promise you this, there are not now, never have been, or ever will be any practicing UNREPENTENT homosexuals in Heaven. Read for yourself.
JOSHUA-Chapter 10, verse 13
ROMANS-Chapter 1, verses 26, 27, 28.
LEVITICUS-Chapter 18, verse 22
LEVITICUS-chapter 20 verse 13
EPHESIANS-Chapter 5, verse 12
DEUTERONOMY-chapter 22 verse 5
DEUTERONOMY chapter 23, verses 18, and 18.
Need more? POWDERMAN. :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x
Dali Llama say perhaps powderman not understand what parkinsonsd say:

"Then there's arguments about homosexuality being against what God said in the Bible. That may be true, but the Bible ain't law around here, and I'm glad for that. I don't want someone telling me how I have to believe in God. How I meet my maker is my own dern business."[/i]

Offline powderman

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 03:39:09 PM »
dali. I know exactly what he was saying. What was the purpose of your last post? POWDERMAN.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 01:23:29 AM »
dali. I know exactly what he was saying. What was the purpose of your last post? POWDERMAN.
Dali Llama say it certainly did not appear that powderman knew what parkinsonsd was saying. :roll:  :roll:   Dali say that be because even after parkinsonsd say specifically "the Bible ain't law around here,"  powderman provide him with many Biblical citations. :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

Offline powderman

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 04:30:23 AM »
dali. I understand english perfectly. he doesn't believe in God, his loss, because I do. Like I said, what was the purpose of your post, other than taking up space? POWDERMAN.

Offline parkinsonsd

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 04:39:04 AM »
Powderman,

I do believe in God, that's not what I said, and that's not what I implied.  My feelings are live and let live is a more Christian attitude.  My feelings are that I've got to go meet God one day, and I want to do it with a clean conscience.

Saying I don't believe in God or trying to call me a heathen is uncalled for and uncool on your part.

Parker.
um, er, yeah.  okay.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 04:49:54 AM »
No need for anyone to get "personal" here.  It's against the GBO "rules of engagement" anyway.

I think ANY single thing that a person does in this life that God didn't actually tell them to do is a sin. After all, the technical definition of sin is anything that falls short of the glory of God -- anything that isn't done in  faith. "Faith comes by "hearing," and hearing comes from the Word." We're ALL sinners, but homosexuality is so gross to those that aren't caught up in it that it often brings out hasty, vomitus responses. *smiles*  

Soooooo......Let's not start hammering eachother around here OKAY?  Preach if ya want, but be polite to your congregation.  After all, it's God's "kindness that calls us to repentance." :lol:
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline powderman

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 06:09:03 AM »
PARKINSONSD. When you said the Bible doesn't rule around here what did you expect me to think? If I offended you I appologize. I don'y need dolly explaining everything said by every poster, I can read just fine. I don't agree with live and let live either. If you turn a blind eye to these perverted sickos you are basically condoning their behaviour. The media tries to convince us, as well as the democratic party, that it is just another lifestyle, it's not, and I'm sick of having these perverts forced on decent folks  just to be pc.  I don't think that I'm not going to fit in here, I'm not pc enough. See ya. POWDERMAN.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 08:23:28 AM »
dali. I understand english perfectly. he doesn't believe in God, his loss, because I do. Like I said, what was the purpose of your post, other than taking up space? POWDERMAN.
Dali Llama say he merely point out inherent contradiction and futility of providing Biblical citations against homosexuality to person who say "the Bible ain't law around here".

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 08:47:55 AM »
I don't think that I'm not going to fit in here, I'm not pc enough. See ya. POWDERMAN.
Dali Llama say he not sure political correctness be quite considered a virtue around here, but bye, bye... :D  :D  :D

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2004, 04:57:24 PM »
Parker;
     You claim to be a believer and say one attitude or another is a more Christian way of doing things...so I presume you try to follow the Christian belief system...right?
   Your implication that it is more important to be "understanding" of sin than to follow God's rule book...sounds like a Quixotic position for a Christian!
   Clearly, Powderman pointed out that God severely condemns the practices of Sodomites! I suggest that if one ignores God's clear, written
statements in favor of the current fads or "pop" culture...he may well be walking a dangerous path....that is, if he be Christian..
  If you follow some other faith...I'll not quibble...you have every right to believe what you will!
  Just ,please, do not try to turn the word of God to none effect (Mark 7:12,13)....He dictated his standards for us in 66 books by at least 44 different writers that all agree, and bound it into one volume; the Bible!
  If we claim to be believers...then it behooves us to BELIEVE God's word!

The miscellaneous forum is a great place for this discussion! Dali gave a clear indication in his "subject line"....so if you didn't want to be involved in the discusion, you had a perfect right to ignore the subject entirely!!

You see, the choice is yours to make!!!
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2004, 01:30:06 AM »
Quote from: ironglow
Dali gave a clear indication in his "subject line"....so if you didn't want to be involved in the discusion, you had a perfect right to ignore the subject entirely!!

Dali Llama say that what he try to convey so many time in Marlin Talk days of yore... :(  :(  :(

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2004, 02:36:31 AM »
Quote from: ironglow
Parker;
     You claim to be a believer and say one attitude or another is a more Christian way of doing things...so I presume you try to follow the Christian belief system...right?
   Your implication that it is more important to be "understanding" of sin than to follow God's rule book...sounds like a Quixotic position for a Christian!
   Clearly, Powderman pointed out that God severely condemns the practices of Sodomites! I suggest that if one ignores God's clear, written
statements in favor of the current fads or "pop" culture...he may well be walking a dangerous path....that is, if he be Christian..
  If you follow some other faith...I'll not quibble...you have every right to believe what you will!
  Just ,please, do not try to turn the word of God to none effect (Mark 7:12,13)....He dictated his standards for us in 66 books by at least 44 different writers that all agree, and bound it into one volume; the Bible!
  If we claim to be believers...then it behooves us to BELIEVE God's word!

The miscellaneous forum is a great place for this discussion! Dali gave a clear indication in his "subject line"....so if you didn't want to be involved in the discusion, you had a perfect right to ignore the subject entirely!!

Since you seeminly know our Bible so well, what does the Word say about interacting with false prophets?  Would you advise that some have come and some will come and some purport to be The Christ?  Are you aware of what a Dali Lama is? Or better yet, who Dali Lama thinks he is and purports to be?  I think a person's involvment, in the form of disagreement and utter disregard is far more healthy that to consort with false prophets.  Don't be lulled to sleep -