Author Topic: Controlling patterns with shotcups?  (Read 646 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Controlling patterns with shotcups?
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:47:57 AM »
I ran accross this about 6 pages back and didn't want to respond to a thread from last summer.  Question is how much control can one have over patterns using shotcups (He said wadds) through a cylinder bore by reloading?

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,259612.0.html

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Controlling patterns with shotcups?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »
quite a bit these days . You can use expansion control wads for a tight pattern . Spreader wads for a more open pattern . A over the shot card in some loads will upset the pattern for spread as can filler etc . Also just the use of fiber wasd or cardboard wads will effect the shot. Then there is hard vs soft shot . Hard shot is better in tight patterns where soft may be better in wide patterns . Then there are barrel protector inserts for steel etc that also keeps patterns tight . Of course the plastic wat cup comes in one and two pcs. with or with out slits all in an effort to control shot.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
I read 'somewhere' that with the shotcup options available nowdays you can make any barrel shoot about any pattern you want, but it will cost you in time and material to make the right combination for your gun. As you state, you have a cyl. bore, so I would think that gives you kind of a head start on where you want to go and what will likely work; ie, tightening up patterns?, but you really need to know what pattern you are getting now with what loads. Have you tried a variety of factory brands and loads to see what they do now?
FWIW, my old 'Buck' barrel c/w sights is cyl. bored and it throws new shotcupped 12ga 7 1/2 or 6 loads out plenty good enough for me at 35-40yd., as is, for any practical use. Im only saving the full choked bird barrel for head shots at turkey, I think.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »
Actually I don't have a cylinder bore (yet) but wanted to do a shorty in 12 gauge.  I shoot less then two boxes a year and my plan was to find a "Pawn Shop" 12 with a barrel of 28" (27.5) and shorten it to 22 to 24" and ream it for choke tubes.  However, the smith in these part wants about $90 for that project and I feel he is too high.  If I can get decent mod or full patterns through shell manipulation I can just skip him alltogether, replace the bead and make some shells to fit.  With a lee Load-All I want to shoot 28 gauge (3/4 oz) with about a modified choke, 20 gauge (7/8 oz) mod choke and 12 gauge (1 and 1 1/8 oz) full choke.  All at about 1100 to 1200 fps.  Already have the recipes for that project, the patterns are said to be great but question is how close can I get to full choke with shotcup manipulation and what "hard" shot would I need to get?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 03:37:37 AM »
My Buck barrel is 24" and, as said, does surprisingly well. Maybe for a long bird shot no go, but real practical use I think yes. Gunners of old did good hunting at 35-40yds, yes? Do your project, I think you'll like it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gjdykeman

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »
I made a slug gun from a 24" 12g barrel, cut off to 20". Mounted muzzleloader tru glo open sights. Shot piont of aim at 50y using cheap rifled slugs. On a survivor stock filled with shot and a large limbsaver. 40 rounds at the bench no issue. 4" @ 75 and 8" @ 100. Only barrel I had and really scatterd with shot. My project was to tighten the patterns. I reloaded shot shells using a lee hand loader and steel un slit wads. different loads a slits in the wads determaned where the shot cup dropped. No slits, like a slug at 65y. I have achieved an 8" pattern at 50y but not a good point of aim yet. Time and range the only issue plus I used the barrel for a 45 acp stub.
SFC US Army 32y 8m 13d RET

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:56:43 AM »
Actually I don't have a cylinder bore (yet) but wanted to do a shorty in 12 gauge.  I shoot less then two boxes a year and my plan was to find a "Pawn Shop" 12 with a barrel of 28" (27.5) and shorten it to 22 to 24" and ream it for choke tubes.  However, the smith in these part wants about $90 for that project and I feel he is too high.  If I can get decent mod or full patterns through shell manipulation I can just skip him alltogether, replace the bead and make some shells to fit.  With a lee Load-All I want to shoot 28 gauge (3/4 oz) with about a modified choke, 20 gauge (7/8 oz) mod choke and 12 gauge (1 and 1 1/8 oz) full choke.  All at about 1100 to 1200 fps.  Already have the recipes for that project, the patterns are said to be great but question is how close can I get to full choke with shotcup manipulation and what "hard" shot would I need to get?
I saw a mossberg turkey gun ( an old camo gun with 3 inch chambers ) in a gun shop this am. It was well used but in good shape . It looked to have a 23-24 inch bbl. I see old 870's like this from time to time along with police trade ins (which often have 20 or 18.5 inch bbls with IC chokes ). The turkey gun mentioned was for sale at $229.00 w/ screw in choke. But you may want to stick with single shots .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !