Author Topic: Facebook bans Gandhi quote as part of revisionist history purge  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I'm no historian and I don't know about this site but I found it skimming the Drudge Report.

Can any one speak to the veracity of the Gandhi quote and what do you think of Facebook's effort at censorship. From what I have read I do think a private company's rights need to be respected.

From Natural News date 12-27-12:

.......(NaturalNews) The reports are absolutely true. Facebook suspended the Natural News account earlier today after we posted an historical quote from Mohandas Gandhi. The quote reads:[/size]
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

This historical quote was apparently too much for Facebook's censors to bear. They suspended our account and gave us a "final warning" that one more violation of their so-called "community guidelines" would result in our account being permanently deactivated.

They then demanded we send them a color copy of a "government issued identification" in order to reactivate our account. Our account was removed from suspension just minutes before InfoWars posted its article on this Facebook censorship, and the Facebook page is now functioning at:
www.Facebook.com/NaturalNews

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038484_Gandhi_quote_Facebook_censorship.html#ixzz2GWcwV8BP
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Facebook bans Gandhi quote as part of revisionist history purge
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:54:10 AM »
Who runs Facebook?  It looks obvious to me.   
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »
as I just commented in another post in Second Amendment. Facebook is a privately controlled media outlet. When someone says something they do not agree with they censor. Or in other words, they LIE.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
I just came back from Facebook. I wrote the Gandhi quote and the Jefferson quote from the bottom of my reply page. We shall see what happens.
SharonAnne

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »
I was on facebook about 1 1/2 months when it first started, and then I realized. It IS the most extensive "personal info sharing site in Internet history". Kids, birthdays, addresses, pictures, personal issues. What a mistake! Not ME! Good bye facebook.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »
If it's a private site, why should they not be allowed to censor?  That happens even here.  Not that I'm on facebook; I don't see a reason to be there.  Just saying that free speech is not so free that you can invade private Internet sites with opinions, whether the opinions are  based in truth or not.  If you ain't invited to the party, you'll get thrown out.     

Offline Casull

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »
Mike is correct.  I have no interest in facebook.  I've never posted there or even looked at it.  I don't like the idea of it or what idiots show and/or post there (from what I've been told).  But, it is a private site and they can censor whatever they want (just like here).  The good news is that people can simply avoid it if they don't like what facebook is doing.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »
if their censorship was so important to facebook, why did they reverse their decision when it was about to be exposed to the public? Like all liberals, they are hypocrites.
SharonAnne

Offline Dee

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
For the life of me, I have never figured the fascination in Gandhi quotes in the first place.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
any quotes that support the private ownership of firearms are welcome to my eyes and ears
SharonAnne

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »
Exactly, Dee.  I don't know a thing about Gandhi, except that Elaine on Seinfeld met with an old woman with a goiter who had sex with Gandhi.  Who the heck was he?  What is it about Gandhi that gives him any credibility?  My ignorance is apparent here, I know, but I can't find anything in Gandhi or any other human that makes him more important than anyone else.  It's like the Martin Luther King thing.  What was he other than an adulterer and fake Christian?  I think people get hung up on positioning people to heights they don't deserve.  Like the Kennedys.  JFK was as immoral as they come.  Ted was even worse.  Babe Ruth.  O.J. Simpson.  Madonna.  Bonnie and Clyde.  Shakespear.  All just people and defective at best.  Nothing no human ever said is worth repeating.  It got said already.  They and no one else is anyone at all that commands respect except by other humans that can't respect their own selves.  Anyone that needs a hero or who looks up to another person, is himself/herself in need of adjustment.     

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
To my understanding Mohandas Gandhi, was a total pacifist, and wouldn't have carried a gun if you gave him one.

He also said he liked "OUR JESUS", but "OUR CHRISTIANS", not so much. He really had not a clue about "OUR JESUS", as he was a heathen, and would have done nothing should India have taken up arms, other than talk, and say "famous quotes" that folks in the U.S. could repeat. His accomplishment in life was saying "wise things". ::)

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
I think the definition of a heathen is anyone who does not believe in "MY GOD". We have many religions in this world. Who is to say which is right? After all, Judaism, Christianity and Islam all agree that they worship the same GOD just by different names. Judaism and Islam accept Jesus Christ as a prophet. Consider that a basic tenet of Islam is convert or kill.

As far as I am concerned Mohandis Gandhi made a statement that is helpful to those of us who believe in the Second Amendment. No more, no less.
SharonAnne

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
Gandhi was indeed a supporter of guns in private hands and I'm familiar with his quote.  Non violence did not achieve independence for India...WW2  bankrupted the British and they packed their bags and left.

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 03:26:45 AM »
I think the definition of a heathen is anyone who does not believe in "MY GOD". We have many religions in this world. Who is to say which is right? After all, Judaism, Christianity and Islam all agree that they worship the same GOD just by different names. Judaism and Islam accept Jesus Christ as a prophet. Consider that a basic tenet of Islam is convert or kill.

As far as I am concerned Mohandis Gandhi made a statement that is helpful to those of us who believe in the Second Amendment. No more, no less.

Boy have you ever been mis-informed.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 03:37:31 AM »
uh no. it is a matter of continuity.  We are all considered Children of the Book. Muslims refer to us as misguided followers of the Prophet Jesus.  We are all Children of Abraham.   

Trouble is Muslims have taken a hard left turn away from the teachings of Abraham.
SharonAnne

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 03:39:22 AM »
There's not a real Christian breathing that would buy into that. Nuff said.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 03:41:36 AM »
me too. Back to guns and the Second Amendment.
SharonAnne

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 03:53:26 AM »
I agree, nuff said. Back to guns and the Second Amendment.

oops, double reply, My bad.
SharonAnne

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 03:56:01 AM »
Tm7. PLEASE, drop it.
SharonAnne

Offline Casull

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 11:44:39 AM »
tm7, that did NOT clarify anything.  In fact, it did just the opposite and was simply a poke in the eye.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dee

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
No one takes TM serious. About anything. Besides, he's always pokin himself in the eye. He can't help himself.

Offline Dee

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »
LOL! See? Can't stop himself.

Offline Casull

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
Dee,,Casull....well listen, guys that have to talk about posters personally, instead of content, like you two guys do...are the ones to take with a grain of salt.

tm7, my post was about what you POSTED, not about you.  But, maybe you were just feeling all full of self-pity and didn't notice.    ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dee

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »

But first Ms Sharon,,, I don't know why Dee is taking a swipe at Gandhi, especially since Gandhi accurately represents right of self defense and actually supports RTBA_ _contrary to popular myth about him.  Gandhi was educated and self-educated and a very well realized man, albeit living humbly.
 Now just to irk Dee and keep him on his toes... ;) ...; here some more quotes from Gandhi:
"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.",
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.",
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.",
"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.",
If I had to face only the Sermon on the Mount and my own interpretation of it, I should not hesitate to say, ‘O yes, I am a Christian.'
    Do not flatter yourselves with the belief that a mere recital of that celebrated verse in St. John makes a man a Christian.
  It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice. 
 If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today.
.......TM7

Don't flatter yourself TM. YOU jumped into a conversation Sharon and I were havin and started this crap. I consider you kinda TROLLISH, and usually ignore you, which is what I intend to go back to doin after this post. Arguing is what makes you go, and I don't want to contribute to any more of your nonsense. Happy New Year, and I look forward to once again ignorin you.

Offline lgm270

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
Gandhi is among the most misunderstood historical figures.  The non-violent, pacifist reputation  is a fraud.   In 1857 the Indian people staged a revolt against the British and were ruthlessly oppressed.

Gandhi supported private gun ownership of guns and condemned the British gun control laws.  His "non-violent, civil disobedience" approach was based on the failed Sepoy Rebellion of 1857 and the inability of unarmed Indians to defeat the much stronger, although much smaller numerically, British.

Gandhi served in the British Army and supported  the British Empire in two world wars.  Gandhi  was decorated for his service with the British Army in South Africa in the 1890's.  In addition to that,  Gandhi supported the British Empire in both WW1 and WW2, giving vocal support to the British war effort and encouraging Indian people to enlist and fight for the British.

Gandhi was a great supporter of wars in which millions of white people killed each other.  He was bright enough to figure out that if whites exhausted themselves by internecine warfare they would be too weak to maintain their overseas empires.      This is exactly what happened.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 05:52:23 AM »
if I may. I believe the idea about Gandhi being a pacifist came from a sit in.  India had and still has a caste system.  For reasons unknown to me he had the people of the lowest caste obstruct something by sitting in. By the caste system one of an upper caste would never touch one of a lower caste, sort of an 'unclean' thing. Anyway, the only way to move these folks was for some upper caste people to physically move them. What it was to accomplish is unknown to me. 

Anyway, I probably have it all messed up. But, that is how I remember it.
SharonAnne

Offline lgm270

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »
lgm270...that synopsis sounds about right; and definitely he's not a heathen. Suffice to say that Gandhi assessed the situation at hand in India and seized the opportunity to oust the British overlords....and some would even say as guided by providence . It is interesting that facebook and others would expunge any commentary about him esp in this time of RTBA discussion, especially since he is one of only 5 or 6 people in history that have led his people to a freer existence.

.TM7

An interesting assessment of him.  I think you're right in that regard.