Author Topic: Tin  (Read 1321 times)

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
Tin
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:10:14 AM »
When adding tin to the lead is it pure tin or some other sorce of tin, and were is a good place for getting tin? Thanks
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Tin
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:14:48 AM »
Anything made out of pewter is almost all tin.  Try junk shops or salvation army stores.  If the piece is in bad shape it will be pretty cheap.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 05:48:32 AM »
When adding tin to the lead is it pure tin or some other sorce of tin, and were is a good place for getting tin? Thanks

Silver solder from the hardware store.  It's compact and precise.  When you get wrinkles, you add a small portion, 6" or so, to a 20# pot.  No need to mix it in either.  It becomes blended instantaneously. So forget all the yard sales for pewter.  Use the time to make bullets. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:51:11 AM »
The silver solder is 1000 times more expensive.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
Thanks for the replys, I'm with Swamp on this one as I'm pretty cheap and I like junk. But at the same time when I'm readdy to cast I one of those that I want it now. If I could just get the pewter plater back from the wife it would probly give me a lifetime supply.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »
Thanks for the replys, I'm with Swamp on this one as I'm pretty cheap and I like junk. But at the same time when I'm readdy to cast I one of those that I want it now. If I could just get the pewter plater back from the wife it would probly give me a lifetime supply.

Multiple lifetime supply.  I say don't get too caught up in hording tin because it doesn't take that much.  Unless you are casting tens of thousands.  Happy junk collecting. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
She pretty much said what I thought she would say [NO] so it's off to the good will store tommorrow.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 08:19:26 AM »
If you've got a good plumbing supply shop in town they should have 50/50 bar solder in 1lb blocks.  That's generally my source.  I've worked with pewter craftsman who use a variety of other elements (Antimony, Silver, Copper, Bismuth) in their cast products, so you could be grabbing a "box of chocolates" when you melt your Goodwill purchases.

When I'm casting bullets I like my Monday bullets to weigh the same as my Saturday bullets.  With unknown alloys that may be difficult.
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
+1 on the scrap pewter.  I've picked up large pieces for a dollar or two.  I cast it into thin ingots that I can break off as needed.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
Did'nt find anything at the good will store, but did find at hardwear store 95/5 solder, not sure how much to put into 10# of lead.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 12:27:57 AM »
I lucked into about a lifetime supply of tin from a buddy who worked at a paper mill. they used to pour there own babit bearings and quit it and just order new bearings now and he brought me home about 300lbs of high speed babbit. Another good source ive used in the past is radiator shops. Most new radiators are plastic but if you live in a city you can find shops that rebuild truck radiators. When the boil out a radiator it melts out all the solder and they usually chuck it away. Its good 60/40 solder but is kind of a mess to smelt. But it beats paying 10 bucks a lb for tin!!
blue lives matter

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »
Did'nt find anything at the good will store, but did find at hardwear store 95/5 solder, not sure how much to put into 10# of lead.

I've found that about a 6" peice is just about right when using WW's in a Lee 10# pot .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline wncchester

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
I still have a couple 5# rolls of 60:40 solder from my electronix tech days but I've been wondering about the make up of the new 'lead free' plumbing solder.  Anyone know what's in it? 

(Yeah, I could look it but but I've gotten lazy in my old age.)
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »
Ill add this. If your casting with wws dont even worry about wasting your money on tin. wws cast just fine as is and to me your doing nothing but throwing away money. Some guys get carried away with this. they read somewhere by some so called expert that all alloys need at least 3 percent tin to cast well when all it takes is casting the alloy you have at the right temperture. Another waste of it is adding it to any alloy that your using lineotype to make up. Plenty of tin in lineotype allready. even one percent tin in an alloy is plenty. More then 2 percent and your just throwing away money.
blue lives matter

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:09 AM »
When I worked in the saw shop at the sawmill I had access to silver solder for putting carbide teeth onto round saws. When I got little pieces left over from the roll I took a few home and threw them into my lead pot. They never did melt... >:( However..... the supplier did give me some lead free nickel Babbitt that was over 90% tin, along with some huge bars of pure lead to blend my alloys with.. ;D
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 09:01:41 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, the bullets I'm casting come out pretty nice but seem a little soft, would water quenching harden them? The bigest problem I'm having now is getting the gas checks on straight.