Author Topic: Loading the 458 lott, sizing die question  (Read 298 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Loading the 458 lott, sizing die question
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:41 AM »
So I usually use Hornady new dimension dies.... because they are some of the best around, especially their seating stem system, love it.

Most dies using .458 lott will size the neck down very small, and you need to use the expander to bring it back up to seat bullets, which to a point is a good thing for tension.  With these dies it is so much that I had to lathe my cutter stem for my trimmer down to be able to trim them, and also, when seating bullets, once I get to the bottom of where my expander ends, I have to use utmost care to make sure I am dead straight when seating, and still pushing out copper more than I should be, leaving a little shoulder under the bottom of the bullet.

This makes for good stiff seating, which is good for this cartridge as far as recoil goes... but I'm not the biggest fan of having my brass worked back and forth so much.

So my question is if you guys know anybody who are making dies that are a little large towards the case mouth than my hornadies in 458 lott? 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Loading the 458 lott, sizing die question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
I use Hornady dies for my 458 Lott and haven't had the problems you describe.

You might try not running the case all the way into the sizing die.  I presume you're shooting a bolt action rifle and if so, you should still be able to chamber the cartridges easily.  Of course, you could also buy dies from a different manufacturer but they may size the case more than you like as well.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
I guess I could give that a try.....  just gotta make sure i get it set good for uniformity, and yes, I have been running them all the way into the die. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:41:34 PM »
I wish I was at home so I could get some pictures of what I am talking about.  This picture best shows it... where the case shows the deformity around the bullet base on the brass, making a small shoulder behind the bullet.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=158

I still can load accurately... I guess it is more of an aesthetic thing than anything.  But also don't see the need to work the brass that small... especially since I do prefer to full length size my brass.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »
I was just looking over product reviews, and found people with the same problem that I was having, they said they switched to redding dies, and they did not taper the case like the hornady new dimension dies did.

I think I'll order up a set and see what they do for me.  Sadly I'm at work for the next two weeks and won't be able to press lead for a bit... but I'll try and get a report then.