Author Topic: Chris Christie Tears Into Boehner For Delaying Sandy Aid: ‘This Was The Speaker’  (Read 4071 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
I wonder how many more hours Boehner hangs on to speakership. I see perhaps a resignation possibly coming.

In a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, Christie tore into Republicans and Boehner for their inability to put politics aside and pass through legislation that would help the many people still dealing with the storm’s aftermath. Chris Christie Calls 'Disgusting' Boehner's Decision to Yank Sandy Funds“There’s only one group to blame,” Christie said. “The House majority, and their speaker, John Boehner.” The House response last night, he added, was “disappointing and disgusting to watch.”

“Last night, the House majority failed that most basic test of leadership and they did so with callous indifference to the suffering of the people of my state,” the governor continued, emphasizing that this is one issue that should not be caught up in political partisanship. It’s living up to the oath lawmakers took.

New Jersey governor says his constituents didn't receive Sandy aid because of a "political game."

“Shame on Congress,” Christie scolded. “All I can tell you is this was the speaker’s decision,” Christie said. “His alone.”

This is, I think, enormously damaging to the House GOP. It's one of their own, or at least another Republican. And Christie came across as very credible, he was at his no-b.s., regular-guy best. The Sandy failure will resonate and hurt the Republicans going forward. -Michael Tomasky

Not a valid youtube URL
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Oh my gosh! What are we gonna do now! Chris the Chameleon from Jersey Shores is mad! That fat jackass is such an idiot. He's too stupid to realize that the Demigods AND the Repulsives put so much pork in the Sandy aide it was unrecognizable. ::)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Zero respect for Chris Christie.  There should be no Sandy Aid other than private insurance.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Zero respect for Chris Christie.  There should be no Sandy Aid other than private insurance.
I keep full "replacement" insurance on my house and all its contents.
any home owner should do the same, or sell it and rent an apartment.

And, the help should come from NJ.  why make someone from Montana and other places pay for beachfront damage.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
Christie would make a great democrat. Yep, this is a New Jersey issue, not a national one. When Texas had those vicious fires a couple of years ago, nobody in Texas got any Federal money. Thousands of homes lost and complete lives gone up in smoke but no Federal $$$ was given. I think Christie is just clamoring for more public attention since he was the "chosen one" for the Republican ticket. Maybe someone can talk him into swapping sides.

Offline Dee

I agree! That's twice in one day! :o

Offline scootrd

Christie would make a great democrat. Yep, this is a New Jersey issue, not a national one. When Texas had those vicious fires a couple of years ago, nobody in Texas got any Federal money. Thousands of homes lost and complete lives gone up in smoke but no Federal $$$ was given. I think Christie is just clamoring for more public attention since he was the "chosen one" for the Republican ticket. Maybe someone can talk him into swapping sides.

I am sometimes at a loss for words where folks get their facts.

According to FEMA's website, Texas has been the site of 13 "major disaster declarations" since Perry took office following George W. Bush's departure in 2001. That includes five instances of severe storms and flooding, two tropical storms, one "extreme wildfire threat," and Hurricanes Claudette, Rita, Dolly, and Ike.

Since FEMA's record-keeping began, Texas has received federal disaster assistance more times than any other state.
83 times.

And who help pay for the relief  when Texas was in need ...Yep, states like New York and New Jersey!!!!
New Jersey I believe contributes more than any other state. (I may need to fact check myself , New York may be first , then Jersey second, )

Your welcome Texas.

"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
[size=0px]I am sometimes at a loss for words where folks get their facts.[/size]

You can be quiet then. Rick Perry applied for Federal aid after those fires but the big moron in DC had zero response. It made all of the headlines here. And considering just how big Texas versus the others, we should get more than anybody else. We also get hurricanes like new jersey, earthquakes, and fires, just like the rest of those listed. Frankly, considering the complete failure of the dimwits in DC to secure the borders and just how many ranchers and hired hands die in the brush of South Texas from the Mexican illegals, the Feds still owe us a heck of a lot of money.

Offline scootrd

[size=0px]I am sometimes at a loss for words where folks get their facts.[/size]

You can be quiet then. Rick Perry applied for Federal aid after those fires but the big moron in DC had zero response. It made all of the headlines here. And considering just how big Texas versus the others, we should get more than anybody else. We also get hurricanes like new jersey, earthquakes, and fires, just like the rest of those listed. Frankly, considering the complete failure of the dimwits in DC to secure the borders and just how many ranchers and hired hands die in the brush of South Texas from the Mexican illegals, the Feds still owe us a heck of a lot of money.

So let me see if I understand just for clarification.

You state  = "And considering just how big Texas versus the others, we should get more than anybody else."
yet you also state = "this is a New Jersey issue, not a national one".

So if it's a disaster that affects Texas thats ok everyone should chip in and help.
But if It's New Jersey or New York disaster well that;s just a New Jersey issue.

No need to respond , I think I got it Now.

Semper Fi

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  Of the $60 billion..only $23 billion is destined for the Sandy victims...the rest is Democrat P-O-R-K  packed on by some Democrats who are doing their best to buy votes for themselves with our tax money..
     If the Dems had been concerned with the storm victims they wouldn't have handed the house a vehicle loaded with P-O-R-K..
    Kudoes for the ones who refused to crumble to more bigger, more spendy government!

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/01/02/the-pork-filled-and-expensive-nonrelief-sandy-relief-bill-n1477710

BTW: Who cares what Benedict Christie has to say, anyway?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
All of it should be covered by private insurance. ....period.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Defoe

• Contributor
  Of the $60 billion..only $23 billion is destined for the Sandy victims...the rest is Democrat P-O-R-K  packed on by some Democrats who are doing their best to buy votes for themselves with our tax money..
     If the Dems had been concerned with the storm victims they wouldn't have handed the house a vehicle loaded with P-O-R-K..
    Kudoes for the ones who refused to crumble to more bigger, more spendy government!

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/01/02/the-pork-filled-and-expensive-nonrelief-sandy-relief-bill-n1477710

BTW: Who cares what Benedict Christie has to say, anyway?
That link tells exactly what is wrong with this country.

Offline Dee

I am sometimes at a loss for words where folks get their facts.

According to FEMA's website, Texas has been the site of 13 "major disaster declarations" since Perry took office following George W. Bush's departure in 2001. That includes five instances of severe storms and flooding, two tropical storms, one "extreme wildfire threat," and Hurricanes Claudette, Rita, Dolly, and Ike.

Since FEMA's record-keeping began, Texas has received federal disaster assistance more times than any other state.
83 times.

And who help pay for the relief  when Texas was in need ...Yep, states like New York and New Jersey!!!!
New Jersey I believe contributes more than any other state. (I may need to fact check myself , New York may be first , then Jersey second, )

Your welcome Texas.

The number of declared disasters chart you have there, doesn't say how much, or even IF, Texas got anything from the Federal Government. It looks good, but really says: NOTHING.

Offline Defoe

• Contributor

The number of declared disasters chart you have there, doesn't say how much, or even IF, Texas got anything from the Federal Government. It looks good, but really says: NOTHING.
LOL, I think you're right.  a governor can declare a disaster area and that allows people to get low interest loans etc.  it doesn't cause FEMA to come rushing in and dispensing vast quantities of funds.

Offline scootrd

Dee , I'm not going to do homework for others  - FEMA is open records.  with regards to Texas aside , I was responding to a particular post)

Texas
From  from 1998 to June 2011 alone = FEMA $$ sent: $3,827,437,893.02

Here is just a few of the latest  - 

December 12, 2012 
FEMA Awards $1.8 Million for Community Safe Room in Bay City, Texas
             December 12, 2012           
FEMA Awards More Than $2.4 Million for Community Safe Room in Brownsville, Texas

December 12, 2012         
 FEMA Awards More Than $3.4 Million for Community Safe Rooms in Kleberg County, Texas   

IF folks are just lazy and don't want to take the time plowing through .gov just google   " FEMA awards TEXAS"
and start adding up the $$ amounts.

Now Back on point FEMA SANDY RELIEF

Christie has every right to be frustrated , it's been over 66 days , it's minus 7 degrees up here in NE today.
Wonder how our fellow Americans are staying warm with no $$ to buy fuel , pay contractors etc..

This is not a republican / democrat issue.
(except for those who want to politicize relief efforts and make it so, You know, the I got mine the heck with everyone else crowd). This is an American relief effort. CUT THE PORK , PASS THE BILL AND GET THESE NEEDED FUNDS TO THESE AMERICANS.

nuff said

Semper FI.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  Frankly, for the last 4-5 years.. Washington DC should be declared a "disaster area"..and it's getting worse every day.  Still the politicians do nothing; if they did it may mean they have to "clean up their act".! ;) :D ;D
          Scoot need not be so smug, since it is highly likely Texas contributes far more to the federal treasury than they take away.  It's the BLUE states which are the drag on the US economy..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Defoe

• Contributor
3.8 billion to texas.     I'm a skeptic.

Offline scootrd

3.8 billion to texas.     I'm a skeptic.

Be skeptical all you want Look it up.
Just Katrina alone  -  Texas - $921.3 million

Here is just two Hurricane IKE awards over past decade.

Texans affected by Hurricane Ike who have unmet disaster-related needs will receive help through a $58.2 million
The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Thursday it has awarded more than $90.1 million to the state for work on the University of Texas Medical Branch’s Healthcare Core Complex in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.

Wonder how much New Jersey's contributions were to help support?

Offline Dee

Numbers going to states is an iffy thing. They can be combined with actual allotments of money, to low interest loans, and can add up when put together. As far as anyone doing my research, I didn't bring the issue up with that chart, scootrd, you did.
"My issue" IS, "and was", all the pork attached to the bill by MOSTLY northern democratic states.

Offline Defoe

• Contributor
Numbers going to states is an iffy thing. They can be combined with actual allotments of money, to low interest loans, and can add up when put together. As far as anyone doing my research, I didn't bring the issue up with that chart, scootrd, you did.
"My issue" IS, "and was", all the pork attached to the bill by MOSTLY northern democratic states.
SI,SI, Senor. :)

Offline scootrd

I understand , wasnt pickin a fight. However the chart is accurate, The funds provided to other states over the last decade (Texas as an example, though we went off on a tangent) have been significant .

My only point was New Jersey needs relief and quickly. Relief should never be politicized.
They have been there for others. We need to be there for them . Congressional leaders need a kick in the ARSE.
Christie had a right to be angry. Cut the Pork , pass a bill. it;s been 66 days. and it's darn cold up here.

Offline Dee

I agree, but BLUE STATES, are piling on the pork to this Sandy Aide Bill, and THAT is what the problem is. The events in Texas were smaller events, and though they do add up, and I AM a life long Texan, I think that folks should NEVER get more than a helping hand, such as TEMPORARY SHELTER AND A MEAL OR TWO. This going in and rebuilding because folks didn't take care of THEIR OWN BUSINESS, is a growing expectation of unreasonable reality.
If a tornado gets my house, I don't expect anyone other than MY INSURANCE COMPANY to build me another one. By the way. I also paid for MY OWN storm shelter, computer, and phone.
Many of these folks have lived their entire lives in this NY flood plain, yet didn't have flood insurance. They could have perhaps driven a year older car, and gotten the insurance, then they would need ME to replace their home.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
A fat piece of garbage rino tearing into a little pretty boy pansy ass sellout piece of garbage rino? Gee who's side to take? No worries Christy will get his pork. He may have to wait a few more days. I doubt he will starve to death in the interim. I am sick to death of all of these piles of steaming jackass dung politicians. They are all a waste of space and oxygen-every last one of them right down to my piece of sheisa lying local township trustees and they can all kiss my ass.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Emergency relief should NEVER have pork attached, 2/3's of that bill was pork.  If it was only 10-20% over what they needed in pork it would probably have passed. 

I agree with Swampman also, because before the 1960's no one build on the beachs in Florida.  They built further inland on higher ground.  Houses were built with hurricane windows, tar and gravel roofs, or metal roofs, concrete block homes, etc to resist wind and rain damage, but no flooding.  Everyone could go to almost any beach and enjoy it as it was almost pristine.  On the other hand, homes built on beaches in Florida can resist up to a cat 3 hurricane.  They are on pole stilts so surges can go under the homes.  Framing has metal brackets installed to hold the wood together.  Exterior walls have solid plywood behind them, not particle or chip boards.  Windows have actual working shutters.  Roofs are metal or tar and gravel.  They usually sell for about $1 million each.  I have rented one for my whole family to use since some homeowners rent them out by the week.  Kind of expensive, but the one we rented had 5 large bedrooms with multiple beds, 4-1/2 baths, kitchen, pool (fresh water) heated, deck it was on poles.  Adult family members would chip in to pay the rent (a week was about $2,500), but for 3-4 families sharing, it is actually cheaper than a motel. Also two-3 couches in living room folded out into beds.  Chairs were recliners.  Teens usually crashed on these.  Adult couples in bedrooms.  Cars usually park underneath the homes like a carport, but can get washed away in a hurricane if someone stays there. 

In the Northeast which gets very few hurricanes, homes are not built this way.  Florida has learned its lesson over several years.  Trailer parks are the ones most recently damaged the most, like Andrew.  Florida is gradually zoning out trailer parks except further inland.  New Orleans weathered Katrina, but the levie broke and caused the flooding.  They all had plenty of time to evacuate, but 50,000 was waiting for the government to save them. 

Any build back in the northeast should be similar to what Florida has done since Andrew.  Get rid of low homes near beaches and build them wind proof.  Last hurricane at Galveston, only one home survived on the and it was built to modern standards.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Rockaway, NJ has a peak elevation of 534', if they didn't have flood insurance, they were being neglectful..

Now about Texas..  I have lived therer, served there and have several relatives living there.  With the stupidity of the blue states and the ignorance of gov Cuomo's recent suggestion of gun seizures (grabs) ..I wish I had stayed there.  The only people in NY Strate with "country common sense"..are the country folks..and although their range is large their numbers are smaller than those of the idiots.
       My two brothers live in the Golden Triangle..located hard by Louisana and the Gulf coast.  They gave me some insights on the after effects of Katrina.  Much of the cost charged to Texas, was because of the bums fleeing Louisiana.  Gulf coast  Texans fled north also and stayed at various churches etc., treated them with respect and even sent back donations to their gracious hosts.  Many (not all) New Orleans refugees simply trashed out the places where they stayed..  Dumpsters were later hauled away withj new ly donated clothes , diapers etc., simply because these thing were not their brand..or "stylish" enough.
  Texans generally, are a far different breed than New Orleans denizens.. Just my $ .02... 

Offline Dee

ironglow, when the New Orleans crowd migrated to Houston, because of the quality of many of that crowd, the murder rate went up 30% the first year. When many of them found the welfare BETTER in Houston, they have never left.
What many of the La. immigrants have found out since, is that if you get caught in someones house, they will shoot your ass, no questions asked, and they will get away with shootin your ass.
Our gun laws have evolved in Texas to help us as citizens to cope with thieves, and murderers, whether they be resident, immigrant, or illegal immigrant. My church pastor for example has ASKED that I come discreetly armed.
This handing out of money for their own short comings is gotten way out of control. Folks in NY and NJ may see Christi as a conservative, but he ain't even close by our standards. He is a fat, obnoxious, loudmouth, change with the wind liberal, as far as most here are concerned.
I am sympathetic with the Jersey folks in that they lost their homes, but I would say next time. BUY INSURANCE!

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
If your home was 8 miles from the sea and was wrecked from storm surge you're not collecting too much from you insurance company, if anything...Sorry Charlie!

Correct. I own a house near the coast and your insurance will not cover wind/storm damage. BUT you can purchase wind/storm insurance from government backed insurance. It is higher than all get out and it has a 2-3 percent deductible.

So don't come crying to the taxpayers to bail your butt out because you were too cheep to buy insurance.

Offline Dee

If your home was 8 miles from the sea and was wrecked from storm surge you're not collecting too much from you insurance company, if anything...Sorry Charlie!

Correct. I own a house near the coast and your insurance will not cover wind/storm damage. BUT you can purchase wind/storm insurance from government backed insurance. It is higher than all get out and it has a 2-3 percent deductible.

So don't come crying to the taxpayers to bail your butt out because you were too cheep to buy insurance.

EXACTLY! If you can't ride the horse, don't buy the horse.

Offline DDZ

This handing out of money for their own short comings is gotten way out of control. Folks in NY and NJ may see Christi as a conservative, but he ain't even close by our standards. He is a fat, obnoxious, loudmouth, change with the wind liberal, as far as most here are concerned.
I am sympathetic with the Jersey folks in that they lost their homes, but I would say next time. BUY INSURANCE!

My thoughts exactly. When Christi got elected I thought, gee NJ electing a conservative, but after seeing Christi in action he is far from a conservative. Its obvious he is a fat, obnoxious, loudmouth, change with the wind liberal. Its obvious he can't even take care of himself, let alone govern people. He is no different than any of the other socialists in government. What was Ann Coulter thinking when she was calling for him to run for president?

We got to see the so called conservative republicans cave in on the fiscal cliff. They say the spending cuts will come later. "yeah right". The republicans answer was to raise taxes on productive people, and blow smoke up our butts, and tell us cuts are coming. The whole stinking rotten pack of them are incapable of cutting spending. Now we will get to watch them cave on more gun legislation, and tell us its for our own good.   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
But As I undestand wind/fire damage is covered...not flood/surge damage--that's from Federal Flood riders on your homeowner policy.

Depends on the area. If you are 10 miles from the coast in NC the wind is also from the Federal/State backed insurance.
My home owners only covers fire/theft and liability.