Author Topic: Cops Banned from Denny's  (Read 1264 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Cops Banned from Denny's
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
The Belleville Il. police chief has banned his officers from eating at the local Denny's after one of the store manergers told 5 ON-DUTY , plain clothed officers that they could not eat at the store while ARMED , they were told that they would have to secure their sidearms in their cars if they wanted to stay .

What was this IDOIT thinking ? And what do you think the responce time will be to the next call from them about someone not wanting to pay their bill .

http://wnep.com/2013/01/03/police-banned-from-dennys-for-being-armed/

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Cops Banned from Denny's
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 06:05:27 AM »
Before anyone gets too worked up maybe a little thought needs to be given to this action.  There is no reason any cop should be treated any different than any legal U.S. citizen.  Anyplace that chooses to implement any anti gun policy should have to do so equitably.  Absolutely no cop, government official, or anyone else should have any more rights than the citizenry of this country.  To allow such differences fits quite neatly under the description of a police state.  What's right for one is right for all or it is right for no one.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »
If I were a cop and a place said I could not come in armed then I would not , not even if a crime was being commited there or had been commited there . I agree a place of business can restrict behavior . But they should really consider the effects.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:37 AM »
Here in Ohio , anyone that does not want someone to carry on their premises has to put up a sign , if I see that sign it tells me to shop elsewere , they have the right of choice , and so do I .

On a side note , it appears that Denny's corp. is all over this with " I'm SORRY , we screwed up , please don't throw us under the bus !  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I never cared for their food anyway .  8)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:18 AM »
   Cops carrying guns are a bit different than others packing openly.  The police are  required to be ready at all times to "serve and protect" and there is no good reason for them to leave their weapons behind in the car. 
   If they complied and left their weapons behind, imagine the ballyhoo if they were found unarmed just when they were most needed.  In a worst case scenario, a nutcase may find out (or observe) that the police are unarmed whenever they are  in Denny's...0pen invitation for a nut job to attack police.
      The management of Denny's must know that the police are NOT going to disarm just to eat at Denny's, so it is an outright snub.  I believe the correct reply should be that cops not patronize Denny's again....and be just as eager to serve Dennys as Dennys was to serve the police.
    Let's find out if it is a company-wide policy... and if it is, we can ALL refrain from patronizing Denny's.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
In Indiana and Kentucky those signs mean little to nothing other than pointing out places where legal citizens should avoid shopping but they carry no legal clout beyond that of a possible trespass warning and nothing more.  In today's world even a privately owned and operated business cannot legally refuse business on the grounds of race, sex or hardly any other difference so why should there be a difference allowed due to a chosen career.  A cops station in life is no more or less important than that of a plumber, mechanic, logger, doctor, etc.

IG if you're willing to leave your own safety in the hands of the police all I can tell ya is good luck since that's what our government is shooting for right now.  One of my greatest fears is that you're going to get your chance to see first hand how that works out.

Offline FPH

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:26:41 AM »
TX is similar.  If the business does not have a 30.06 sign issued by the State DPS, you can wipe your butt with it.  Rick Perry is under the opinion that if you possess a valid CCL you should be able to go armed anywhere in the State of TX.

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:15 AM »
Im glad to see Denny's apoligizing for this. You cant hold a business responsible for the actions of one manager. I would imagine that he had to answer for this one.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 07:33:56 AM »
In Indiana and Kentucky those signs mean little to nothing other than pointing out places where legal citizens should avoid shopping but they carry no legal clout beyond that of a possible trespass warning and nothing more.  In today's world even a privately owned and operated business cannot legally refuse business on the grounds of race, sex or hardly any other difference so why should there be a difference allowed due to a chosen career.  A cops station in life is no more or less important than that of a plumber, mechanic, logger, doctor, etc.

IG if you're willing to leave your own safety in the hands of the police all I can tell ya is good luck since that's what our government is shooting for right now.  One of my greatest fears is that you're going to get your chance to see first hand how that works out.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   You are reading a bit too much into the thread;
1) I never said police are any better than any other citizen.

2) I never said I trust my safety to the police alone.

3)  Nor did I say anyone should have an inordinate fear of police (as Denny's apparently has).

I simply pointed out that a police job requires firearms, same as if the meter reader were to come to their establishment, they should expect him/her to carry meter reading gear.  If the beer delivery guy services the restaurant..he may be using a 2-wheel push-cart..no big deal, just tools of their individual trade.
One thing  combat Soldiers & Marines as well as cops learn early is..don't be too predictable, because being entirely predictable as to where & when they will be disarmed ...could be hazardeous to the health of any of those three.  You and I don't have that same problem..

NEWS ON FOX AT THE MOMENT:
    ...Denny's has apologized..stupid branch manager reacted to one stupid customer's complaint..

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:21 AM »
if you're willing to leave your own safety in the hands of the police all I can tell ya is good luck since that's what our government is shooting for right now.  One of my greatest fears is that you're going to get your chance to see first hand how that works out.

Amen to that.

It's all a hot mess...........

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 08:08:13 AM »
IG I'm sorry if you feel I misunderstand what you're saying but when you follow up with
You and I don't have that same problem..
I have to wonder.  The cops are no different than any of the rest of us and in this case they were in plain clothes so shouldn't be treated any different than anyone else.  The problem is no matter how they are dressed they shouldn't have any more rights than anyone else. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
IG I'm sorry if you feel I misunderstand what you're saying but when you follow up with
You and I don't have that same problem..
I have to wonder.  The cops are no different than any of the rest of us and in this case they were in plain clothes so shouldn't be treated any different than anyone else.  The problem is no matter how they are dressed they shouldn't have any more rights than anyone else.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Again, you misunderstand..   Did you notice I was speaking of Soldiers and Marines also?  THese folks are expected to risk all if necessary, to defend the public at large..  You and I unless we are one of them, are not required to defend the general public. 
    THAT's a problem we don't share with Cops, Soldiers & Marines..

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
Before anyone gets too worked up maybe a little thought needs to be given to this action.  There is no reason any cop should be treated any different than any legal U.S. citizen.  Anyplace that chooses to implement any anti gun policy should have to do so equitably.  Absolutely no cop, government official, or anyone else should have any more rights than the citizenry of this country.  To allow such differences fits quite neatly under the description of a police state.  What's right for one is right for all or it is right for no one.

I TOTALLY AGREE! I THINK WHEN POLICE ARE DISPATCHED TO A SCHOOL SHOOTING IN PROGRESS, I THINK THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR WEAPONS IN THEIR CARS, AND THE CARS SHOULD BE PARKED "OFF" SCHOOL PROPERTY.
THIS DOUBLE STANDARD BETWEEN POLICE AND CIVILIAN HAS GOT TO STOP, AND STOP NOW!
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
I find this story a bit confusing. It is said the five plain cloths officers were "on duty" but unless they were investigating a crime at that location they should not have been sitting around in a restraunt while on duty. If they were on lunch break they were not on duty. Many departments permit and some even require off duty officers to carry but I agree that what's good for the goose is good for the gander and if citizens are not permitted to carry in that location then neither should off duty plain clothes cops.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
Let's take it a step further. If they were on lunch break, they should have to take their police cars back to the station, and take their own cars on lunch break, and leave their guns in their cars, and not park their cars on Denny's parking lot, because they have guns in them. Police being able to carry guns is getting way out of hand. So what if a perp sees 5 unarmed police officers in a Dennys and shoots them, because he knows their unarmed. It's part of the risk of being a police officer.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
Dee with no better understanding of reality than you're representing here maybe you shouldn't be around firearms.  The fact of the matter is no cop or anyone else can be allowed more control than any other citizen without cementing the reality of a police state.  Maybe you would be pleased with that outcome.  What a sad thought. :'(   Law abiding citizens must be allowed the same rights as law abiding LE.  Without such equality the constitution of this country means nothing.

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
Dee with no better understanding of reality than you're representing here maybe you shouldn't be around firearms.  The fact of the matter is no cop or anyone else can be allowed more control than any other citizen without cementing the reality of a police state.  Maybe you would be pleased with that outcome.  What a sad thought. :'(   Law abiding citizens must be allowed the same rights as law abiding LE.  Without such equality the constitution of this country means nothing.

This last post of yours is just as nonsensical, as my satirical ones, and your serious ones, preceding this one. Which was my point to begin with. Your issue with the police carrying guns, while you can't has been TWISTED BY YOU (and others), into it being the police officers fault, and their personal intent in forming a "police state". That idea is indeed one of the silliest things I have ever heard. The police aren't keeping you from going into Denny's armed. The LAW MAKERS YOU ELECT, make it illegal for you to go armed, and your blaming the police.
I PERSONALLY SPENT 20 years on the street with a badge, and PERSONALLY DEALT with the scum that causes you to want to carry a gun. I also dealt with people of your mindset. Your kind blamed me, for something I had nothing to do with.
I have now been a PRIVATE CITIZEN for 18 years, and have a CCP. When I see a sign on a restaurant door that says no firearms, I go to another restaurant, BUT I DON'T BLAME THE POLICE OFFICER IN THERE EATING. The management put the sign up he didn't.
You and others are the ones that need the reality check, and maybe you shouldn't be possessing guns. You and others are havin a real hard time realizin who's causing this dilemma. You and others have turned an ANTI-GUN Dennys manager issue, into a police state issue, with the police being the cause, and it is no such thing. The idea that it is, is delusional, and more about not liking the police. YOU can't take a gun into that Dennys, and neither can they. Good grief! ??? ::)

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:34 PM »
I don't mind police carrying weapons. I don't mind me carrying a weapon.

I suppose the cops could have secured their guns in their car first, just like I'm supposed to be doing. But they probable view their lives as worth more, and wouldn't like that.
A cops station in life is no more or less important than that of a plumber, mechanic, logger, doctor, etc.
Yeah, well... they can get away with all kinds of things that would get those other fellows thrown in jail or shot.

I've come to a new gun control position: I'll submit to all the same gun control as LEO at fed & state levels.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »
sorry to say the politicians have been fueling this anti-gun sentiment  from sea to sea. In NY there is legislation pending which will effectively ban any semi-auto rifle and restrict gun ownership to no more than 10 firearms. You'll probably see other states and the federal government start banning all types of firearms.

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
You are most likely correct 1marty, and there will be knuckleheads that will hold the police at blame for the whole thing. They have an axe to grind, and won't accept their own poor voting habits, just like this thread has done.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 12:41:09 AM »
You are most likely correct 1marty, and there will be knuckleheads that will hold the police at blame for the whole thing. They have an axe to grind, and won't accept their own poor voting habits, just like this thread has done.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#1 ...... Dee

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 01:19:02 AM »
Dennys, macdonalds - both crap food, why bother eating there at all.  If they don't want armed citizens in their businesses, then go somewhere else, where the food is better; but to be honest, it whizzes me to see a bunch of fat-bellied cops suckin' up burgers and fries, b-sing about how tough this and that is when plain jane ccw citizens aren't allowed and are frowned upon and dissed.  The facts are that not a one of them could get to their guns in enough time to do anything but catch a bullet while their mouths are fulla the crap food they are cramming down. 

Doesn't matter to me if someone blames the cops for what's happening or whether they just take it out on them, the cops are nothing more than the front men and the first line of aggression (not defense, hear it) for governmental oppression and when push comes to it they can either join with the citizenry, or try to oppress it and suffer for it.  Their choice, but I am damned tired of their two tier - them or us - mentality.  Who the hell ever gave them the right, and which buncha dumasses ever gave them the authority to do anything except follow orders.  I have no idea where their mentality comes from but at least now we don't have to have it crammed down our throats.  At least now you can finally flip them off wihtout having to worry about shooting back in your own defense.  The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals finally decided that flippin' off a cop does not give them warrant or cause to detain you - halle-dang-uyah.  Punks on the street can flip a cop anytime they want and they never see the cop car door open - but if you're a motorist or just not a fan, you become a member of that lower tier, the tax paying citizenry subject to police authorita.  Time for a change, a major change.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »
Many years ago my son worked at Denny's. After he told me what went on in the kitchen I have not set foot in one in 25 years. The best was the 30 second rule. If someone dropped food on the floor in the kitchen and if it was picked up within 30 seconds it was served to the customer.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 04:59:47 AM »
Were I to ever see a cop refuse to patronize a business because that business refused entry by law abiding citizens yet allowed a cop entry for the same thing I would support him in any way possible but it just never happens.  Cops today sport a demigod attitude in most things they do.  They feel no need to earn respect.  They think they are above all that and have the right to demand it.  It's a pitiful state of affairs that our money is used to support such attitude.  All I ask is that we all be treated the same. If I can't drive 100 mph down a city street then no cop should be allowed to without lights siren and other precautions either without paying the same penalty.  If I can't patronize a business without disarming then neither can they. 

BTW today's elected officials aren't elected by people like me.  They are elected by a mix of people who choose to either support this same disabling demigod attitude or are just plain to ignorant to know any better. 

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 05:09:27 AM »
Cops today sport a demigod attitude in most things they do.  They feel no need to earn respect.  They think they are above all that and have the right to demand it.  It's a pitiful state of affairs that our money is used to support such attitude.  All I ask is that we all be treated the same. If I can't drive 100 mph down a city street then no cop should be allowed to without lights siren and other precautions either without paying the same penalty. 
I think I've told this story here before, but it's worth repeating, because it is true. In 2007 I had a contract gig doing some training for state of New Jersey. In one of my classes we were doing introductions/ice breaker, and I'd asked everyone to include how far they had to go to get to the class (coming from around the state). One guy said he took less than 45 minutes, and said where he'd come from. I knew the area, and that it was a solid hour+plus... I did the math & said that's pretty impressive, must have needed to run a steady 90 or so, how'd you manage that? - to which he shrugged, pulled out his wallet and flashed his badge.  What that badge meant was... "laws are for thee, and not for me!"
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.