Author Topic: Cut down 12 gauge Pardner  (Read 2172 times)

Offline jeffcneal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cut down 12 gauge Pardner
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
I'm wanting to cut the barrel to 18.5"s and install a hi-viz front bead sight.  Will the barrel wall at the muzzle be thick enough to thread for choke tubes?
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
Re: Cut down 12 gauge Pardner
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:53:22 AM »
It should be as I have one exactly like that.............
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:59:10 AM »
By my way of thinking, the shorter you cut it the thicker the wall will be.  At 18.5 inches you shouldn't have any trouble reaming it for tubes other then the costs.

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:06:34 AM »
garbhead and jpshaw:
Thanks for your replys.  So garbhead, I guess you've had good luck with this configuration?  Are there any negatives?  And jpshaw, I figured that would be the case.  I just needed a second opinion, thank you  :) !  So if garbhead does'nt know of any reason that I should'nt, I'll let the fun begin!
thanks,     
Jeff                                                                                                                                                                                             

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:39 AM »
I had a 12ga shorty made, the biggest drawbacks are incredable recoil and big change in point of impact.  I had minne chopped to 19" and Colonial choke tubes added.  The recoil was almost unbearable and the point of impact was more than a foot high with the original bead reinstalled.  I had to have a ramp with a higher dovetail sight installed to get it back.  If I was to do agasin I think I would go for a 20ga.
Tony212

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:14:05 AM »
tony212:
Thank you very much for your input.  I'd wondered about a change in the point of impact.  Did you have a rear sight installed as well?  Would you build the next one on a 20 gauge due to recoil alone?
regards,
Jeff

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:20:16 AM »
If I was to do agasin I think I would go for a 20ga.
Tony212

The recoil would be less but the shooting high would be worse.  I find the smaller gauges tend to shoot higher due to the fact they have a smaller diameter muzzle to line up with the same chamber area as a 12 gauge.  Remember they are all 12 gauge dimensions from the chamber to the end of the forearm.

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 03:42:03 AM »
I've got both 12 and 20 ga shorties with threaded chokes and yea the 12 is something to handle.  The 20 isn't bad at all and with the snap on high viz sight it doesn't shoot that high you just have to compensate, been wanting to put a red dot on it soon though.  It's a joy to carry around the woods.  The 20 has the camouflage furniture in the pic.

Sent from my Samsung Tab

Offline tony212

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
Since I only use it with shot, bird and buck, I didn't put a rear sight on it.   This gun is mostly used for utility, I throw it in my truck when I'm going to the camp, or when I'm out scouting and not really hunting.  It is very handy and light weight, which explains the recoil.  That is why I would probably go with a 20.
Tony212

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »
jpshaw, bodie4, tony212:
A sincere thanks to all for your replys and input.  Lots of valuable 1st hand knowledge coming my way.  And based on this, I'm going to go ahead and try it.  Any recommendations for a taller bead sight?
regards,
Jeff

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
I bought my barrel on ebay..there was (is?) a guy on there that evidently bought the tools to tap the threads in a barrel...he sold several of them on there...He chopped the barrel to 18-1/4" and put the bead sight back on.
I wanted it since I had a bunch of extended chokes that would fit..haven't shot it much but no problems.
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Offline tony212

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:11 PM »
I used a ramp and dove tail bead I bought from Midway USA.  To find the right height I taped an L shaped piece of thin cardboard to the barrel and fired the gun. Then I trimmed the cardboard until I had the right height for the POI I wanted.  I Miced the height and bought the dove tail bead that matched..  Hope this helps.
Tony212

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 04:40:21 PM »
garbhead and tony212:
Please excuse my delayed "thanks" for your advice and input.  A local gunsmith has quoted me a price for cutting, threading for choke tubes, and installing a set of Tracker II sights on my barrel.  I'm thinking I'll go this route since I want to end up with a CQ deer/feral pig gun.  Add some Choate furniture, a buttcuff, and a sling and it should be all set.  I've been thinking about this project for a few years.  I'm done with chemo, so now it's time for a "custom" gun!
regards,
Jeff

Offline just-an-illusion

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:30 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, what was the charge for reaming and threading? I have one that is already cut to 18.5", and have been thinking about threading it for chokes. 

Thanks, Illusion

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »
Finally tracked down a couple of old pics of mine

sold it for $125

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
just-an-illusion and garbhead:
The charge for threading the barrel is going to be $40.  The pitch is compatible with the H&R, Mossberg Accu-Choke, Winchester Win-Choke, Browning Invector tubes.  If you wish, you can ship me your barrel and I'll have it done at the same time as mine.  I've been advised that it's approximately a 6 week turnaround time on custom work right now as they're absolutely over-run with business.  You see, these gentlemen are known for turning out superior AR-15's.
And garbhead, thanks for the photos.  They're inspiring, and now I can't wait to get this gun built ;D !  And it must be fate or karma, I noticed in your photos that I've got the same floor tile and vent register in my kitchen.
regards,
Jeff

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 04:02:14 AM »
Oh I forgot to tell you, I was at your house when I took the pic (twilight zone music playing)

sold it for $125

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:14 AM »
garbhead:
Makes sense. In my neighborhood it would'nt surprise me to see LBJ ride a unicorn to my front door and ask for my spare change!  Oh yeah, Rod Sterling would've LOVED most of my neighbors.  Or maybe I'm the 1 who's a "little off" :-\ ...
But I'm really pumped about this "shorty" project.  I can't wait to get it finished and learn how to post photos to show it off!
regards,
Jeff

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 03:48:30 AM »
My wife asked me recently why none of my friends are 'normal'......... :P
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
gcrank1:
My wife's a prim and proper native of Scotland.  She refers to my friends as a "curious sort" ;D .
regards,
Jeff

Offline dalv

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »

Really nice job guys!Just saw this thread as I am thinking of cutting down my 20 ga but I have had it since the '70's (my first gun also have the 30/30).
Not wanting to hijack but don't have the heart to cut the original barrel and thought I would ask if I will be able to find a barrel that fits an original H&R Topper for a decent cost that I could cut down.
Any suggestions and or sources would be appreciated
Dalv

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
It should be pretty easy and cost effective to find.  Check out the classifieds here, there is always one coming up.  Also, you can usually find a whole shotgun at the pawn shops for about $80-$90 if you play your cards right.