Author Topic: Winchesters New .17 Super Mag  (Read 11544 times)

Offline dubllung4

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchesters New .17 Super Mag
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere on the forum, I don't browse much else than the H&R forums.  Winchester released its new .17 and it has some interesting ballistics.  I wonder how long before reamers will be available, who will have the first Sporster chambered in it?? ;D

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/01/02/introducing-the-new-17-winchester-super-magnum/

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Winchesters New .17 Super Mag
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
I don't know... I mean I was all hot for the 17Hornet. I rechambered a HMR to a Hornet and it shoots great, For me at least this new RF dosen't do one thing my 17 Hornet wont...

I can see how some would be excited, Its quite a notable acheivment.  Personally I would rather see the 5MM Magnum brought back... I would buy one of those NOW!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline blaze

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:22:37 PM »
I too would like to see H&R chamber the Sportster for the new Win. .17 Super Magnum (rimfire).  However, I'm not so sure the present fireing pin location on the Sportster (for .22LR & .22 Mag) would work.  The .17WSM case is based on a .27 cal casing - quite a bit larger in dia. than other rimfires.  Just wondering!

Offline dubllung4

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
I don't know... I mean I was all hot for the 17Hornet. I rechambered a HMR to a Hornet and it shoots great, For me at least this new RF dosen't do one thing my 17 Hornet wont...

I can see how some would be excited, Its quite a notable acheivment.  Personally I would rather see the 5MM Magnum brought back... I would buy one of those NOW!

CW

The advantage I see is for areas where coyote hunting is limited to rimfire only.  I would love to see the 5 brought back as well! Had the chance to buy one but the magazine was garbage.

I too would like to see H&R chamber the Sportster for the new Win. .17 Super Magnum (rimfire).  However, I'm not so sure the present fireing pin location on the Sportster (for .22LR & .22 Mag) would work.  The .17WSM case is based on a .27 cal casing - quite a bit larger in dia. than other rimfires.  Just wondering!

I had the same thought, I am unsure of the exact case dimensions so I have no idea if it will work.  In the video he was shooting a Winchester 1885.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 01:44:11 AM »
Ooh I haven't seen pics or video yet,,, can you post a link please?
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:09:26 AM »
  How about a price for 50@ ?
       If they are no more expensive than the .17 HMR, maybe...  If they cost much more...I'll stick with my .223.....
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:28:04 AM »
I hunt only state land so this sounds great to me for some yotes.

Sent from my Samsung Tab

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
I like it! As other have stated, this is perfect for rimfire only areas like coyote hunting on Ft. Sill.

Awesome!

So who's going to be the guniea pig and rechamber a HMR barrel to see if it will fire?

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline dubllung4

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »
The pics and video link is in the first post.

I actually work at a pretty big gun shop here in Michigan, so once we get some ammo in I might give it a shot - depending on case dimensions.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:11 AM »
Had no idea that Ft. Sill was RF only for (just?) 'yotes. Must be too populated now........
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 05:33:13 AM »
Had no idea that Ft. Sill was RF only for (just?) 'yotes. Must be too populated now........

They only open a few areas during elk season for elk rifle hunting. Other than that, no CFs can be used. :-\

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
Until it is in full blown production a reamer may cost as much as a Handi! But If a group buy share plan is done it would sure cut the price down on it.
 Wonder if the rimfire handi will handle the chamber pressure?
According to the video the rifles will not be ready until this summer. And also I know the way to Ft. Sill  ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
I would think that the pressure shouldn't be an issue. I will get a HMR barrel once the reamer is available and we can do our experimenting from there. Even if it doesn't work, the barrel could be rechambered again to a larger .17 CF.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
This sounds like a plan in the making , I am in!
  it's where you hit em "

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:54:25 AM »
Did some searching and found this review on the new hot rod:
http://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/the-17-winchester-super-magnum-is-here/

According to the article it runs at 33,000 psi . Does anyone know how much a SS1 is rated for? The 17Hmr runs around 26,000 psi .
 It may require an offset stub job (like a Versa Pack) Now it is really getting interesting......
George

it's where you hit em "

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 01:54:31 AM »
Quote from: cwlongshot

I can see how some would be excited, Its quite a notable acheivment.  Personally I would rather see the 5MM Magnum brought back... I would buy one of those NOW!  CW

I understand Longshot's sentiments!  At least he's shooting a RELOADABLE cartridge.  ;)

PERSONALLY I would have been impressed with TINNchester iffn their new round was a lengthened .22 Super Rimfire Mag! 

Bet this "new round" doesn't last long and joins the 5mm on the scrao heap!

I'm not a squirrel killer, but iffn i was, would want a resurgence of interest in the .17 Mach2.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:56 AM »
Quote from: cwlongshot

I can see how some would be excited, Its quite a notable acheivment.  Personally I would rather see the 5MM Magnum brought back... I would buy one of those NOW!  CW

I understand Longshot's sentiments!  At least he's shooting a RELOADABLE cartridge.  ;)

PERSONALLY I would have been impressed with TINNchester iffn their new round was a lengthened .22 Super Rimfire Mag! 

Bet this "new round" doesn't last long and joins the 5mm on the scrao heap!

I'm not a squirrel killer, but iffn i was, would want a resurgence of interest in the .17 Mach2.

22 super mag!! I like the sounds of that!! How about 22 Maximum!!!!

We don't have rimfire only seasons around here. I wish we did!!! Our state lands are shotgun and 22RF OR SMALLER. Meaning dimentionally as well as bullet diameter. ::) so the 17M2 is OK but the HMR and 22MAG are not so this new 17 would not be legal at all on state lands. Private with 10+ acres its anything OK. But we have a 243 min on big game. The coyote is considered by some to be big game. But correctly its labels as varmint so any caliber is OK.

This WILL BE. A great thing for the guys in states with any rimfire Ok!! It's good to see time and $$ spent on new offerings in this day when many would say what more is there to create in calibers!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 04:37:36 AM »
According to the article it runs at 33,000 psi . Does anyone know how much a SS1 is rated for? 

I don't, and don't recollect it ever being discussed, but I'd like to think the frame material and strength is the same as an SB1, but I've never compared the internal structure of the firing pin area.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline thesandman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 06:33:16 AM »
looks awsome.  very interested in what looks like a ruger number one by savage, for the 17wsm.  If it isnt priced rediculousy

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
"Bet this "new round" doesn't last long and joins the 5mm on the scrao heap!" Who says the 5mm is on the scrap heap mine out shoots my 17HMR so bad that I have gotten ride of all but my 17HMR Versa pack bbl. The 30 gr bullet is not hardly effected by the wind and the new hollow point 5mm bullet is every bit explosive. Now that doesn't mean I don't love the 17HMII . I just don't think the 17Win  has a significant spot to take in the battery. 204Ruger, 5mm mag 17HMR 17HmII where's the fit?? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
Now if they would neck it up to .22 then Id be getting interested.
On second thought, if H&R starts making barrels for my UV frame in this new round..............
It never ends.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 11:57:57 AM »
looks awsome.  very interested in what looks like a ruger number one by savage, for the 17wsm.  If it isnt priced rediculousy

I saw the same review - the guy is holding a Winchester or Browning single shot - the Savage is an all new bolt action.  they mention the brass being 50% thicker to take the pressure and the savage video mentions using a new cock on close action to get the extra  firing pin energy to deal with the heavier brass.  A Handi may have more issues that just firrng pin placement - it may need a heavier hammer strike to dent that heavier case.....

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »

I saw the same review - the guy is holding a Winchester or Browning single shot - the Savage is an all new bolt action.  they mention the brass being 50% thicker to take the pressure and the savage video mentions using a new cock on close action to get the extra  firing pin energy to deal with the heavier brass.  A Handi may have more issues that just firrng pin placement - it may need a heavier hammer strike to dent that heavier case.....

Hopefully these issues won't be a deal breaker for the rifle manufacturers. Going from 22 mag to 17 HMR only meant a simple barrel swap in most cases. If they have to tool up for more than that, they may not want to gamble that the new round will take off. That might mean it will be DOA.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:40 AM »
Coulda swore the Savage I saw and heard about was a prototype falling block action.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline dubllung4

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 05:09:14 AM »
Coulda swore the Savage I saw and heard about was a prototype falling block action.

It is, in the video they are shooting a modified Winny, but Savage is coming out with 2 new rifles.  One of them is a repeater bolt action fed by a rotary mag (B.MAG) and the other is a single shot.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16:48 AM »

Not saying Savage is not doing that, but the one in the video was a Winchester lo wall. ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
I was told today that Savage would have a rifle available in April. MSRP will be around $379.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 07:20:20 PM »
Will Winchester make the Marlin Pledge.
When the 17HMR came out. People were making mention of the Rem 5mm Rimfire and the lack of ammo.
Marlin said if the round does not catch on and ammo becomes unavailable simply send back your rifle and we will rebarrel it to a 22 mag.  With that said people took the plunge. 
I will be hesatant about spending $1,000 on a low wall if the ammo goes the way of the Dodo bird unless Winchester says they will rework the rifle to a 17 Hornet, 223, or other caliber wanted.  Or if they come out with a rimfire bolt action either tube fed or detachable mag then the same rules apply.  Make it either a 17HMR or 22Mag. 

Offline Nightsniper

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
Since the Savage B has a threaded barrel I don't see a problem changing to like was said a Super .22 magnum or a 5mm(case change )
And there is a Gun Shop in Michigan taking pre orders for the B for $299

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 09:05:31 PM »
I can it going if they make it a family of cartridges and add a .204 and a .22 to the line up using the same case. 

It would be a serious boost for guys in rim-fire only areas.  I had an acquaintance in Virgina that claimed ever turkey in the state (bird not stupid person) knew the range of a .22 WMR.

Tony