Author Topic: Winchesters New .17 Super Mag  (Read 11540 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Winchesters New .17 Super Mag
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 11:34:02 PM »
  It appears it may edge up toward the centerfire "cost to operate" zone.  However it certainly does seem to have it's niche..in the "rimfire only" areas.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:49 AM »
Ive got crows here that hang out fair close until I walk out the door with the killing-stick, then beat wings fast away.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Nightsniper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »
Midway has the Ammo on their site runs $13.99 -$15.99 per 50 and here is a Review......http://www.varminter.com/new-savage-bmag-rifle-in-17-winchester-super-magnum/

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 05:56:29 AM »
At first blush that seems a little "rich" for my blood.   ???   However, I'm thinking fur friendly round for fox and bobcat which require rimfire or shotgun here in Jawja...  :-\   So maybe I wouldn't be shooting hundreds of rounds...
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 06:08:26 AM »
At first blush that seems a little "rich" for my blood.   ???   However, I'm thinking fur friendly round for fox and bobcat which require rimfire or shotgun here in Jawja...  :-\   So maybe I wouldn't be shooting hundreds of rounds...
At $1400 for the single shot rifle, then the price for a scope, ammo and other acessories.
A Marlin, ruger,  H&R or other current rimfire rifle in 17HMR seems deal at $300 to 500 a rifle.
And if that is not fastenough for you there are a bunch of good rifles chambered in 22 Hornet, that can be rebarreled to any  the 17 Hornets or the 19 something that uses a 204 bullet.  Or just use a 221 fireball. 
I like my 22 hornet and it is more than enough for Coyote, Javilina, or other small preditors, and not overly powerfull for Rabbits and tree rats.
Plus it is reloadable.  So are the 17 Remingtons that can be loaded down to the 17 Super mag levels and any 223 rifle can be rebarreled.
I think the 17 Win rimfire is going to be an answer to a question never asked.  As there are many 17 or 22 center fires that can do the same thing for a lot less with more choices of launching device.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 06:15:35 AM »
The key here is the rimfire requirement, centerfire firearms aren't legal.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 06:20:53 AM »
OK, 
Missed the rimefire requirement. Sorry.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »
Sorry.

No prob McWoody!   ;D   You had me convinced until Tim reminded me of the rimfire thing!   ::)

But maybe the HMR will do the job on foxes and cats?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 06:31:58 AM »
My best friend and I discussed the 17SM last night at a retirement party, he was all for it until I reminded him the 17 Hornady Hornet is reloadable, we have no rimfire requirement here, so the centerfire options would be my first choice.  ;)

Tim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 06:34:38 AM »
the centerfire options would be my first choice.  ;)

Yup... Ain't no doubt about it...  :-\   Hi-ebber...  ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 07:32:08 AM »
$1400?
In the article it says MSRP of $349
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 11:49:53 AM »
$1400?
In the article it says MSRP of $349
The winchester 1885 low wall is listing at $1400 or so on the website. 
I did not see, not saying there are not any, other rifles that were chambered for it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:09 AM »
At this price it seems a good "niche" round, especially for "rimfire only" hunting areas.  Now, when can I get a chamber cutter for my H&R .17 HMR?
  Midway link:  http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=winchester+17+super+magnum

That new Savage rifle looks OK..except that trigger guard must be designed for arctic use!
   Savage B.MAG Rifle in .17 Winchester Super Magnum
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:03 AM »
I think a bunch of colder weather varmint hunters will appreciate that t-guard.
Im frugal and more of a traditionalist, but this rifle and cartridge is callin' my name!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline thesandman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
second hand news.  a friend saw ammo for 17win super mag in gander mountain Grandrapids mi for $18 but it was for 20 or 25 rounds he couldnt remember.  I questioned him about ctrfire(17hornady) or rimfire and he assured me it was the new rimfire round.  that is about what I expected.  to rich for me.   

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »
Ouch!
But it was Gander........
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
second hand news.  a friend saw ammo for 17win super mag in gander mountain Grandrapids mi for $18 but it was for 20 or 25 rounds he couldnt remember.  I questioned him about ctrfire(17hornady) or rimfire and he assured me it was the new rimfire round.  that is about what I expected.  to rich for me.

The ammo comes in boxes of 50 according to Midway.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/124319/winchester-super-x-ammunition-17-winchester-super-magnum-20-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/875102/winchester-varmint-high-energy-ammunition-17-winchester-super-magnum-25-grain-hornady-v-max-box-of-50

Offline thesandman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »
a phone call will resolve this but I think my friend made a mistake of identy, perhaps with a 17hornet.  midway didnt have ammo. but was taking preorders.  I cant believe the new supermag ammo will be less than or even similiarly priced with hmr ammo.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:11 AM »
I went for the .17 Hornet.  Too many restrictions on rimfires in Alaska.  Plus the new .17 Super Mag, duplicates the .17 Hornet which is reloadable.  I like to pick my bullets.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
Someone brought up a good point on another thread yesterday.  Can a .17HMR Sportster be reamed out to .17 Super Mag?  If so I just might do that just for the heck of it.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
Don't think so....

According to the this reply in the GA blog, no, the larger rim on the 17WSM wouldn't be impacted by the firing pin of a 17 Sportster, it would be closer to the center of the round.

Tim

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/winchester-ammunition-17-super-magnum-rimfire-17wsm-shot-show-2013/

bigdaddy January 29, 2013 at 8:14 am

is the WSM shootable in any 17 that shoots the HMR?

. Administrator January 29, 2013 at 9:28 am

Er, guess?

. Relme January 29, 2013 at 1:02 pm

No, the new .17wsm cartridge is about a centimeter longer, and has a larger overall diameter. Re-chambering and re facing of the bolt would be, at a minimum, required to even get it to load. Even then however, because of the diameter difference, it would probably not work do to the location of the existing firing pin. The existing firing pin would then be striking closer to the center of the round than the rim. MSRP of the rifle is Less than $350.00 it would be much less expensive to purchase the rifle than pay a smith to do all the work required to retrofit an HMR.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
That would be a relatively easy calc. based upon your own firing pin strike and 1/2 of the dia. difference between the two RF cartridges.
For instance, we have found that many vintage 25RF guns that one can no longer get ammo for can be relined to 22Cal. and no change made of the firing pin. Not so with 32RF guns! They require a liner be installed offset to get the strike correct or reworking the firing pins and/or FP channel.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »
The 17WSM rim looks considerably bigger.

Tim

Left to right: .22 Long Rifle, .22 WMR, .17 HMR,
 two .17 Winchester Super Magnums 

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »
I'll have to get one of those rounds and do some comparison as to where the firing pin actually strikes. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »
I wonder how close it is to the .17 Hornet?  Now that the Hornet is a factory round, I don't see much reason to go with a round that can't be reloaded.  Even if you're not into reloading, you can sell your used brass to someone that does...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
When you dont reload and look at what all you have to get the numbers can get daunting. I reload for everything, a multitude of calibers have come, some gone and a bunch stayed, so Ive amortized down the equipment and supplies very well. If someone only wants to step up into the world of CF performance with one caliber, this might be it. For example, I messed about with the 22Hornet in 3 rifles over several years and over 3000 rounds to discover that my cast bullet reloads were performing very closely to the Win. 22WMR DynaPoints, and in a case lot cost my out of pocket was comparable shot to shot. Of course, if it was jacketed bullets the Maggie doesnt get into even the bottom end of Hornet territory, so the math wouldnt work. What Im saying is that for ME and my purposes, I found the tipping point in this example. Someone else, without the need or desire to reload for more calibers may decide that for the cost per shot he/she can do this new round for X number of shots before breaking even on buying all the stuff to reload the 17H up front, and the math works for them. There must be some good reasons why the 22WMR has endured, more than me must like it, and this new round can do the same if they dont price it unreasonably.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
We have been doing my best to uphold 22M numbers here in New England!!!  ::) :o ::)

Since I got my PMR-30 it is REALLY HUNGRY!!!  Those EVIL 30 round ''clip mags''  ::) sure do gobble up the ammo.  :o ;)

I have accumulated about a two cases worth of mixed maggies since hunting season last year.... Slowing to a trickle for the last two months too...  :o

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
I think the 17Win Super mag has a place where rimfire only hunting is allowed (Ft Sill comes to mind).Otherwise I will stick with my 22K hornet or 223 or 22-250 or  the list goes on and on ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "