Author Topic: H&R 20 gauge barrel  (Read 1619 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
H&R 20 gauge barrel
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »
Awhile back I bought a used 20 gauge barrel and it didn't even come close to fitting on either of my rifle frames so I sat it aside.  Today I got to looking at it and I think it's a pre-NEF H&R barrel.  It looks old and the under lug doesn't look quite like the ones on my Handi rifles.  Are my suspicions correct and this is a pre-NEF barrel.  Any other things that would be an obvious give away?

Tony

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: H&R 20 gauge barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:18:19 AM »
Check the lug under the barrel (where the forearm would go).  Is it a simple lug to take a friction fit forearm or does it have a screw hole?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:33:26 AM »
H&R Inc made screw-on forends in their later years as well as the earlier snap-on, you may be able to see the silver solder line where the underlug is attached to the barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »
I'll have to post pix.  I can't tell if it's silver soldered on or welded.  If it's an early barrel I'm going to sell it and send my action in and have a new barrel fitted.  This barrel seemed like a good deal but now I'm not so sure...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
You can usually see the weld on modern barrels, it's missing on the old barrels, they look like they're glued/soldered on in comparison, there's no fill in the joint.  ;)

Tim 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »
geezerbiker, I have several older H&R barrels, both soldered and welded and just they fact that they are older does not make them not fit well on your frames, some older barrels will/should fit on some newer frames. It may just be a case of tolerance stacking. The barrel you have may be at the large end of tolerances and your recievers may be at the small end of tolerances. I am fortunate because I have a "few" frames to try barrels on and can do so until I find a combination that fits well.....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:05:04 AM »
This one is clearly missing the weld.  It's very smooth where the barrel joins the under lug.

The Bi Mart in McMinnville, OR is now carrying H&R 20 gauge shotguns and I'm thinking about picking one up the next time I have some bux running up hill.  If it fits, I could use my so to be orphaned .44 mag barrel to make the switch barrel gun I want for carry in my truck.

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
Bimart has had Pardners on sale for $99.99 or $109.99 once or twice a year for several years running now, although those days may be over.  :-\

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »
This is the first H&R anything I've seen at a Bi Mart in a long time.  I think they were asking $126 for it.  That didn't seem bad but it was just before Christmas and I was tapped out.  I'm hoping to have the bucks to get it soon assuming they still carry them.

I asked about rifles but I was told it was doubtful.  I suppose they don't sell well here in OR.  Perhaps but that's where I got me first NEF in '02...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 04:20:15 AM »
I've bought several Handis and a BC from the Falk Rd Bimart in Vancouver, they can order anything their supplier has in stock, usually takes a week to get it, what they normally stock is up to the store mgr, stock what sells,  this store usually has one 12ga Pardner in the rack until it sells, then they reorder and one shows up before long, I go it at least once a week and check the rack out, the Orchards store has always had a 12ga in stock too, Portland has several stores, I've bought a couple rifles over there too cuz they were in stock.  ;)

Tim

http://www.bimart.com/stores/index.aspx

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »
I moved a little while back and now the closest Bi Mart to me is in McMinnville, OR.  It's also the oldest Bi Mart that I know of.  Their gun department is a little smaller than it used to be but it's still my first stop for reloading supplies and ammo. 

I'll have to talk to them about ordering.  There stores in Beaverton and Aloha didn't carry and H&R and told me they couldn't get it.  I hope in the more rural area I'm in now the gun department is more informed.

Tony

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »
Whereabouts in the McMinneville area are you?  I lived in Carlton for a while, half a lifetime ago.  My former boss, John Reppeto, moved to McMinneville when he retired.  I used to shoot with the Forest Hills Black Powder Brigade at the Flying M Ranch in the late 1980s.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »
  I used to shoot with the Forest Hills Black Powder Brigade at the Flying M Ranch in the late 1980s.

-Kees-

Me too from about when you quit until 1998!  ;D

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 07:52:11 PM »
Whereabouts in the McMinneville area are you?  I lived in Carlton for a while, half a lifetime ago.  My former boss, John Reppeto, moved to McMinneville when he retired.  I used to shoot with the Forest Hills Black Powder Brigade at the Flying M Ranch in the late 1980s.

-Kees-

I'm 30 minutes west of Mac in Willamina.  Did I mention this place is BFE?  :D 

I had lunch at the Flying M once.  It's was a nice place and it's too bad the former owners couldn't pull it together.  The fire just cost them more than they could handle.

Tony

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
This barrel is no longer my problem.  I was made an offer and I let it go...

Anyway since it's my most cash strapped month of the year, I have to wait to pick up something else but this gives me time to poke around at gun shops to see what deals are out there.  The Big 5 in McMinnville has Russian made Baikal single shot shotguns for $115.  It's temping but I'll probably sill get the Pardner for 20 bucks more.  If the Russians made a single shot rifle like this, I think H&R would be in a world of hurt.

Tony

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:57:50 AM »
  If the Russians made a single shot rifle like this, I think H&R would be in a world of hurt.

Tony

They do and have for awhile but I don't think Baikal is H&R's main problem. :P

BB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325626588
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 09:55:29 AM »
The Falk Rd Bimart used to have a Baikal/Remington Spartan in their rack,  it was a POS, extremely poor fit and finish, had to monkey with it just to break it open!  ::) They sent it back and I've not seen one there since.  :-\ Gotta be a reason why Remington dumped them.

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »
From the looks of the one I handled, it looks like Baikal is getting their act together.  The finish was good and the action was tight but moved smoothly.

Many years ago I bought a Baikal .380 auto pistol and it was well made and finished.  Perhaps their rifles were made in a different plant?

Anyway  I've sold a couple more toys and I'm now on the prowl for my next gun purchase.  If I can find a local FFL to receive it for a good price, I may order something from Bud's Gun Shop.

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »
That may well be, this was a 12ga, from most reports here the rifles aren't bad except for triggers and dealing with scope mounting IIRC, there are a couple long running discussions on the rifles in the Single Shot forum.

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
I've bought several Handis and a BC from the Falk Rd Bimart in Vancouver, they can order anything their supplier has in stock, usually takes a week to get it, what they normally stock is up to the store mgr, stock what sells

The guy at the gun counter at BiMart in McMinnville told me today he can't order H&R and the one shotgun they has was gone.  It looks like I'll have to drive to Al's Guns in Verbort for my next H&R.

Tony

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »
My local Bi-Mart here in Yakima is only carrying Rossi/Taurus shotguns and rifles now (for single shots). They don't even carry the Stoeger anymore. Guess they are getting a better deal from Rossi so will have to start checking out the pawn shops I guess.  :(  I'm in the market for a 20ga handi but seems a little scarce in my area.
Thomas B.