Author Topic: 45-70 BC cast boolit sizing  (Read 704 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
45-70 BC cast boolit sizing
« on: February 14, 2004, 12:41:22 PM »
I have read that many BCs like over-sized bullets in cast on the order of 459-460.  I shot 2 different cast bullets today, a 325gr gas check sized 458 (self cast and sized) and some 412gr plain base bullets sized 459 (purchased).  The 459ers shot a lot better, altho I don't know if the diameter or the bullet weight/style made the difference.

I think I'm going to buy a larger sizer die and the question I have is this.   Should I get a 459 or go one thou larger and get a 460?  I'm shooting straight WW, that GCd 325 and I also have the Lee 405 mold.

thanks,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 02:56:30 PM »
The best way to know is to take a pure lead slug and drive it through the barrel and them measure the diameter of the slug. This will tell you the groove diameter, size to or .001" above that. .....another way is to fire a bullet into something like saw dust or a 55 gallon drum of tight packed rags, even water.  Richoets will not occur on water at angles 30 degrees or greater. I have fired into water at angles as shallow as 15 degrees with no problems. but keep it greater to be sure. Recover a bulet and measure.

One of the problems here is that guessing based on the diameter of a group of bullets that shot well is that those bullets could be harder, or softer, the load could be more uniform or better matched to the barrel. 45-70's seem to have a preference for bullets of 400-450 grains. the only way to eliminate those varibles is to slug your barrel. Miester sells a kit for this, should be available through www.midwayusa.com Good Shooting, JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 03:15:12 PM »
After much thought and consideration, I decided that I was being a nimrod.  Not only am I comparing 2 different boolit diameters and weights but one was loaded with Re-7 and the other with IMR3031. Duh.  :oops:

I slugged my barrel a couple months ago and came up with 456-457 which is why I bought a 458 sizing die.

What I decided to do is resize a few of those store bought 459s to 458 and then load up a few of each.   The only difference in the 2 loads will be bullet diameter.  THEN I will have something meaningful to compare.

Ian

usually...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 03:16:39 PM »
HH and JPH45, I have not slugged the barrel on my 45-70 Handi but have read that some have used a pure lead .490 ML ball for a .50 caliber and after starting it down the barrel they were able to push it through with a regular cleaning or ML loading rod. The post I saw stated they started from the muzzle end and dropped the ball out the breech onto a pile of rags to be sure it did not hit the floor and deform, then to check the ball with your micrometer.  I was thinking of trying this but starting from the breech end. Anyone have any info or opinion on this method of "slugging" the barrel on a Handi?....<><.... :?:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 03:59:12 PM »
Haywire, try shooting your homecast plainbase without sizing. Just tumble them with Liquid Alox or rub some lube into the grooves. As long as the loaded bullets will chamber readily, sizing is unneeded.

You do know that you can easily lap your sizer out a thou without buying another?

Btw, Lee makes two 405 grain moulds, a .457 in both RN and HP configs and a HB .459. Were I more of a hunting man, I'd be putting together a group order for the HP in GC configuration.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 05:52:53 PM »
The best groups I ever got were from .459 dia bullets in the old Buffalo Classic and the new one as well.

If your gonna cast your pills, get a Lee .459-405-HB mold  8)

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 04:52:51 AM »
:D Thanks for all the input guys.  I just bought the Lee .457 405 flat base mold a couple weeks ago, it is casting 459 as far as I can tell, haven't played with it much yet.  I was under the impression that the HB 459 mold was specifically for BP loads, and I only load those once in a great while for fun.  Will smokeless not blow the skirts on it?  I once tried 777 with a hollow base mini-ball in my .54 smoke pole with terrible results, we were guessing that the increased pressure was blowing skirts as when we went back to black, we got groups again instead of patterns.

DJ, Are you using some kind of rouge on your bullets to hone out your sizing dies?  I'm not exactly sure what to get.

thanks again,
Ian

usually...

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 08:28:16 AM »
The HB on the Lee 459-405 HB is more like a dimple than the hollow in minie balls. You ain't gonna blow it out.

I use a kit of Clover Compound that I bought from Brownells long ago. If I did not have that, I would go down to the local auto supply store and talk to the nice man behind the counter about what grades of valve grinding compound he had. I like to use several grades of grit, finishing at 600 grit, but you could do it all with something around 400 grit.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline JPH45

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 09:27:38 AM »
Amazing how much you miss in a scant 16 hours....Was not aware of the Lee HP 405, need to check this one out guys for sure, for sure. a 1 in 16 tin/lead bullet in a easy expanding HP of 405 grains would make an earthshaking deer slayer.

DJ, getting you a care package in the mail this week, I may have to get your snail mail addy again

MSP Ret, yes, it will work either way. As you push it through, take note of where tight or loose spots are as well.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc