Author Topic: Is lapping needed on verticle split rings?  (Read 391 times)

Offline Back40

• Trade Count: (0)
Is lapping needed on verticle split rings?
« on: February 14, 2004, 12:43:36 PM »
Thinking about going with Talley's but have heard you can't lap verticle split rings. Do verticle split rings not require lapping?

Offline KN

Is lapping needed on verticle split rings?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 02:59:27 PM »
I would think you could but it would be a little tricky. You would have to snug the rings down just enough so you could still move the laping bar back and forth. Personally I would go with a different ring. I don't like the idea of splitting a ring across the base like that. I want my base as solid as possible.   KN

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Is lapping needed on verticle split rings?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 04:14:43 PM »
Quote from: Back40
Thinking about going with Talley's but have heard you can't lap verticle split rings. Do verticle split rings not require lapping?
.......Yes verticle rings need lapping and the edges of the rings smoothed to avoid the same dings and misalignments with horizonal split rings....I haven't done talleys but did Warne's and you have to tighten the ring at the bottom to hold it aligned on the bases and lapp and tighten the top of the rings as you lapp.......again the Talley might attach differently than the Warnes which clamp tightly to the base and the scope is actually held in place by the pressure of the top screw......HTH..good luck and good shooting!!!