Author Topic: Gun shows taking heat and folding  (Read 797 times)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Gun shows taking heat and folding
« on: January 05, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
Gun shows face restrictions after  Newtown shooting, as planners seek 'fair' treatmentPublished January 05, 2013
Associated  Press
  • School Shooting Gun S1.jpgJan. 4, 2012: A sign is posted for an upcoming gun show in Leesport, Pa. (AP)
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. –  Four gun shows,  all about an hour's drive from Newtown, Conn., all canceled.
A show in White Plains, N.Y., -- brought back a few years ago after being  called off for a decade because of the Columbine shooting -- is off because  officials decided it didn't seem appropriate now, either. In Danbury, Conn. -- about 10 miles west of Newtown -- the venue backed out. Same with three other  shows in New York's Hudson Valley, according to the organizer.
Gun advocates aren't backing down from their insistence on the right to keep  and bear arms. But heightened sensitivities and raw nerves since the Newtown  shooting have led to toned-down displays at gun shows and prompted some  officials and sponsors to cancel the well-attended exhibitions altogether.
Some of the most popular guns will be missing from next weekend's gun show in  Saratoga Springs, N.Y., after show organizers agreed to bar the display and sale  of AR-15 military-style semiautomatic weapons and their large-clip  magazines.
"The majority of people wanted these guns out of the city," said Chris  Mathiesen, Saratoga Springs' public safety commissioner. "They don't want them  sold in our city, and I agree. Newtown, Conn., is not that far away."
The mayor of Barre, Vt., wants a ban on military-style assault weapons being  sold at an annual gun show in February. Mayor Thom Lauzon says he supports  responsible gun ownership but is making the request "as a father." The police  chief in Waterbury, Conn., just a few miles from Newtown, has halted permits for  gun shows, saying he was concerned about firearms changing hands that might one  day be used in a mass shooting.
In New York's suburban Westchester County, Executive Rob Astorino had brought  back the show in 2010 after a ban of more than a decade following the 1999  Columbine High School shooting in Colorado, but he said the show would be  inappropriate now. The shows in the Hudson Valley and Danbury were listed as  canceled on the website for Big Al's Gun Shows. A man who answered the site's  contact number said it was the venues that canceled the shows, not the  promoter.
In Houston, transportation officials temporarily stopped using electronic  freeway signs for public safety traffic updates near firearms-related events  amid complaints following a gun show the day after the Dec. 14 school shooting.  State-level transportation officials overruled the decision.
On Wednesday, the Saratoga Springs City Council urged organizers of a  downtown gun show Jan. 12-13 not to display military-style weapons and the  high-capacity magazines "of the type used in the Newtown tragedy." About a dozen  people gave impassioned pleas at the meeting.
Show organizer David Petronis, of New Eastcoast Arms Collectors Associates,  agreed to the limit.
"I don't think it's fair that we're taking the brunt of the problem,"  Petronis said, "but I can understand the reaction of people in doing so."
Petronis said his group is a "nice, clean family-oriented ... arms fair" that  brings in thousands of visitors and a lot of money for the city. He stressed  that buyers at his show undergo background checks, as per New York state  law.
The gunman in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in December used an  AR-15 to kill 20 first-graders and six educators in the school. The gun belonged  to the shooter's mother, but it's not clear where it was bought. The shooting  has led to calls for stricter regulation of assault weapons, though the National  Rifle Association has steadfastly opposed such measures.
Gun dealers around the country are reporting a spike in sales of  semiautomatic rifles amid renewed talk of a federal ban on assault weapons. The  possibility of tighter gun control has also pumped up attendance at gun shows in  several states.
Marv Kraus, who helped organize a weekend gun show in Evansville, Wis., said  business has been especially strong lately.
Kraus said there was never any reason to consider postponing or canceling the  Wisconsin event, which runs from Friday through Sunday. One of the few vendors  there with semiautomatic weapons, Scott Kuhl of Janesville, Wis., bristled at  any suggestion that he temporarily stop selling semiautomatic weapons because of  the Connecticut shooting.
"When a plane crashes, should they shut down the airline for six months?"  Kuhl said. "This is my business; this is my livelihood."
Jared Hook, 40, who came to the show looking for a .223-caliber gun for  coyote hunting, said he was glad vendors did not back away after Newtown.
"If anything, there's a lot more interest in guns now because of the  shooting," Hook said. "People want them for protection, and it's good that they  still have access to them."
Joel Koehler, a Pennsylvania gun dealer, said a few dealers have dropped out  of a show this weekend in the Pocono Mountains, but only "because they have  nothing to sell. They are out of inventory."
"The gun sales have been crazy. They are going through the roof," he  said.
Koehler said he has felt no pressure to cancel his shows in Pennsylvania.
"The shows are going on," he said. "Nobody's said to us that we can't have  them."
President Barack Obama has urged Congress to vote rapidly on measures that he  says a majority of Americans support: a ban on the sale of military-style  assault weapons; a ban on the sale of high-capacity magazines; and required  criminal background checks for all gun buyers by removing loopholes that cover  some sales, such as at gun shows in states that don't currently require  checks.
Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett on Friday said he would consider a radio-show  caller's suggestion that gun shows be banned on publicly owned property, such as  the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg. But he also noted that the  complex is open to all businesses.
While government officials take a harder look at gun shows, organizers remain  adamant that they run safe, legal businesses. There is no central government  database on how guns used in crimes are obtained.
The Brady Campaign, which advocates for stricter state and federal gun laws,  has long pushed to close the so-called "gun show loophole" by forcing every  state to require background checks of buyers at the shows. They note that three  of the weapons used in the Columbine attack were bought by someone who went to a  gun show that didn't require a background check. Seventeen states require an  extensive background check, according to the campaign.
And in the wake of Newtown is an emboldened group of advocates, like Susan  Steer of Saratoga Springs, a 46-year-old married mother of three who started a  petition seeking to cancel the local gun show. Steer said she'll continue to  push for banning gun shows at the taxpayer-supported venue.
"For many of us," she said, "the shooting in Sandy Hook was the tipping point  for taking some action."
    The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
    Re: Gun shows taking heat and folding
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:59:46 AM »
    I have seen a lot at gun shows worth seeing in recent years anyway. Their more like stationary monthly flea markets with junk for sale. New York State is a "weak sister" when it comes to pro gun anyway. All gun owners are under attack now days. It's the new American pastime to blame the gun, not the gunner.
    You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SharonAnne

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »
    what the heck are they talking about 'responsible gun owners"? With over 300 million guns in the country and less than 1/1oth of 1% are ever used in crimes. More than 1/10 of 1% of Cops commit crimes.
    SharonAnne
    Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
    • A Real Regular
    « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:47:12 AM »
    I have been to exactly one gun show in my life that was worth attending.  It was the NRA gun show when it came to Indy.  From waht I have seen in almost all other gun shows, is a bunch of greased up SKS rifles and military patches and clothing.  I think that if they pass a law to not allow gun shows to take place, it wont hurt the firearms industry at all. 
    It's all a hot mess...........

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
    « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:16:21 AM »
    Well if you don't like gun shows I sure don't recall ever seeing any labeled "attendance required". Probably more than 50% of the items displayed at most guns shows are of no interest to me and 90% of what may be of interest are way over priced. I still enjoy walking through and looking around. Gun shows are perhaps the last public display of people legally exercising their 2nd amendment rights. If nothing else, I think it a good thing for Mr. & Mrs. Liberal Citizen to see those "good ol' boys" walking to and from the convention center or fairground building with arm loads of firearms.
    The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
    • A Real Regular
    • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
    « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
    +1

Bulletstuffer
    I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
    • A Real Regular
    « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
    Well if you don't like gun shows I sure don't recall ever seeing any labeled "attendance required".

Ya, I pretty much dont go to them.  I love guns, just the idiots tere get on my nerves after a while.
    It's all a hot mess...........

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
    « Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »
    Most of the firearms is probably stuff bought from these cop buy back programs ans should be scrapped anyway.

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
    • Avid Poster
    « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »
    I like going to them , its like browsing thru 40 gun &pawn shops at once.

NRA BENEFACTOR
    United Sportsmen of America

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
    • Trade Count: (65)
    « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »
    I am like most old guys and fondly remember the past. Before transfer restrictions the shows here [CA] were fabulous. Prices were rock bottom and you went home with your purchase. Guys would be in the crowd wearing a sign and a gun for sale. Cash and carry. All kinds of supplies and accessories . I once bought 10k AAxp shotgun wads for $40 on a Sunday afternoon, lasted me over 20 years.   My guess is the latest gun control fever may result in CA style laws for everybody. That is; 10 round magazines and no private sales.

P.A.
    “Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
    never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
     Winston Churchill