Author Topic: Where can I buy 2 cap squares for Napoleon III Canon?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Kolorado

• Trade Count: (0)
Where can I buy 2 cap squares for Napoleon III Canon?
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »
Hello everyone,  I need 2 cap squares to hold cannon in place for my CVA Napoleon Cannon, (18lb, .069 round ball, .75 caliber )
Mine got misplaced while moving and I've looked high and low on online for replacements but can't find any. 

Anyone know where I can find a pair?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I attached a photo of the type cannon for reference if that helps.  =)

Thanks

Offline Artilleryman

Re: Where can I buy 2 cap squares for Napoleon III Canon?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:19:59 AM »
Maybe if you wrote to CVA they would send you replacements.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Kolorado

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
Thanks Artilleryman , tried that,  guess they don't deal with cannons any more, thanks though :)

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
Thanks Artilleryman , tried that,  guess they don't deal with cannons any more, thanks though :)

CVA stopped making black powder scale cannons a few years ago. You still find them from time to time that havn't sold. You will have to make a set (or have someone make them) to replace them. A long shot would be to call Dixie Gun Works. They have sold so many of those in the past they may have a few parts for them. They are only a couple hours drive north of me and a friend and I usually make the trip once a year to visit their store, they have a ton of stuff there! Can you post the basic dimensions of your cap squares? Length, width, thickness, and trunnion diameter. Some of the vendors here may be able to help you............................................................

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »
You might contact  Traditions  Black powder. They now supply the  Old CVA linr of cannons,

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product_info.php?products_id=286&osCsid=0aeb0dd99eb29b73c3bd2941bd366aac

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
  Summary    Kolorado,Give me the model of your cannon.  Traditions is around the corner from me.  I am going by tomorrow, will check out for you.
lendi

Offline Kolorado

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Thanks Lendi!  MODEL# MC0615  CVA Napoleon III 

Actually I took it to a machinist today to see if he can make them, however I would much rather have original parts if possible.   Turns out also missing a couple other small parts, amazing what happens when you move, lol.   Figures, can't ever be simple, ha.

Maybe just get a card with their phone# if that'd be easier for you?

Offline Kolorado

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
Thanks Double D, 

Offline Kolorado

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
Thanks de_lok, very helpful info.  Yep, took it in to machinist today.

Thanks everyone.

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
stopped in at traditions today.  their catalogue # is not the same as yours.  They did not have a cannon in the showcase but the pictures look the same.  They are very helpful and if you give them a call i am sure they can be of assistance.  their # is 860-388-4656.
lendi

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:50:15 PM »
Thanks Lendi!  MODEL# MC0615  CVA Napoleon III 

Actually I took it to a machinist today to see if he can make them, however I would much rather have original parts if possible.   Turns out also missing a couple other small parts, amazing what happens when you move, lol.   Figures, can't ever be simple, ha.

Maybe just get a card with their phone# if that'd be easier for you?

Welcome aboard, Kolorado. I also have one of these models, and to be honest about it, the capsquares that came with them were nothing to write home about (they're just stamped steel that's bent on a mandrel). With a little research, you could have a machinist make a much more realistic pair; at least that's what I plan on doing one of these days.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.