Author Topic: Request Assistance in Identifying Vintage H&R 12 Gauge  (Read 436 times)

Offline rdryman

• Trade Count: (0)
Request Assistance in Identifying Vintage H&R 12 Gauge
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and hoping members can assist me in determining which model my grandfather's old 12 gauge is.  Gun is in rough shape with no identifying information on left side of receiver except faint Harrington and Richardson writing.  The serial number is A66126 which leads me to believe its a number 8 standard.  However, the top of the receiver in front of hammer is solid/smooth.  All pictures I've seen of number 8's have a groove with screw in top of receiver.  The barrel is a 30 inch with 12 gauge choke on top.  It has a fixed hinge pin assembly and round tang.  I believe it has a 3 inch chamber but inside of bore is fairly pitted and worn.  I would like to restore this gun as a wall hanger but want to ensure I'm looking for correct model parts.  Thanks.

Bob

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Request Assistance in Identifying Vintage H&R 12 Gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
According to the latest BBGV it's a model 1908 with a wider forend, known as the No 8 and STANDARD would be marked the left side of the frame, it was marketed under a store name brand 1931-1942, only in 2¾" chambers, so I wouldn't recommend 3" ammo even if it fits which it most likely will, but won't be safe to shoot.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain