Author Topic: Ammunition  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Ammunition
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »
good question, but it is here, along
with everything else.
shelves are all but bare.

it'll either straighten out soon, or be
gilflirted forever plus two days.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline teleman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
Saw boxes of 45-70 Leverevolution for $32 CDN and some Super X .303 for $21 so I done loaded up. Should have enough for hunting for some years but I'll need to keep sniffing for playtime ammo
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline FPH

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
I stopped in at my local reloading supply and ammo shop today just to check it out......barren.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 05:44:03 PM »
Several LGS I have talked to say they might as well close and go on vacation, nothing to sell. They say they are being told it may  be 60-90 days before any shipments are in. Midway has  stopped answering individual emails, they instead have a robo message that  due to the extreme volume, they are re=routing all inquiries to their website regarding product availability, order tracking , and this will be until further notice. I can tell you they have pretty much stopped any backorders. This is not a good situation. I have largely switched to guns that shoot cast bullets well and therefore are downloaded. I have argued here for some time regarding smaller case capacity and light caliber rounds, and this is one of the reasons. If you are hunting small game or paper punching (which I am limiting henceforth) it makes good sense. If you are shooting a 300 mag and are pouring 70+ grains of powder into every round to shoot at a target, it goes pretty fast. Shooting 5 gr of Blue Dot in a one of the 32's goes a long way, unless my math is off that is 1400 rounds per pound, and a hole is a hole, paper is easy to kill. Rabbits, squirrels and pests are also. Save the big stuff for .....well, big stuff, defense and serious hunting. If you don't already have it, I would guess you wont be getting it until summer, or maybe later.  You don't need to be a "prepper", but don;t wait until it is raining to look for an umbrella.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »
Lets say you're looking through the racks somewhere and see something you kinda think you might want (ammo, components or gun), and the price isnt bad, you really can afford it without breaking the bank......but then you think, awww, Im not sure, I'll think on it........
You had your chance, if you didnt get it then dont bet on it being there tomorrow.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »
You can still get it online, at places such as Nachez.  But there are no good deals remaining anywhere.  Expect to pay full price or more when you find it. 

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
I was surprised when I went into an Orscheln store (farm supply store if you don't have one in your area) yesterday and they had most of your standard centerfire stuff in stock and even 16ga. shells which I find hard to find anymore or are very high priced when you do find them. Most of the centerfire rifle ammo was in the 20-30 dollars range. The 16ga. Remington field loads were $8.69 a box which is the cheapest price I have seen on those for the last several years.
GuzziJohn

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 05:27:57 AM »

For goodness sakes guys, it sounds as if many of the responders are not only reporting on the panic, but are actually part of it!

No matter what gets passed by Congress, they aren't going to outlaw .22 lr, 9mm, .223 or 7.62 ammo.   In 6 months, the panic buying will be over, and the ammo will fall back down to ordinary prices.  I have seen this over and over again in the last 20 years.

If you want to do something constructive, then make sure your NRA membership is up to date, and that you have bought  memberships for your wife and every child.  Then, mail $100 contribution to the NRA.  You can't win this battle by running around in a panic looking for cheap ammo.   This has to be won on the floors of Congress, and the NRA is the only hope.

Best, Mannyrock

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 06:19:57 AM »
I used to buy .22LR in the '80s for .02c a round, 5 years ago it was what, then the '08 election and price run up and now this. How much did average .22LR cost 1 mo. ago? Just bought the LAST bulk pack of CCI MiniMag 22LR at out local WalMArt today, almost $30/375ct., thats close to .08c/rd. It isnt 'panic' as much as its if you want to be able to afford to shoot. When this settles out those prices arent going to go down to what they 'were' (were when?) anymore than gasoline is going back to $1.98/gal. or hamburger to .98c/lb.
Feeding the panic........no, I just wish I had bought stuff 5 years ago (or even more) and didnt quite get caught by this., Ive been watching this play out since about 1968 (remember the Gun Control Act of 1968, I do, I was there).
Denial doesnt work for me.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 06:23:20 AM »
Looks to me like the "floors of congress" is where the problems live and repopulate.  Seems like a poor place to expect to find "resolution".

Having said that, didn't they all get a wake-up call when they received 100 million objections to the message that Biden was prepared to deliver last week.  obama couldn't pass it off to congress fast enough in his anti-American speech last week.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
Amen gcrank, I remember having to SIGN a purchase order in WALMART for 22 LR ammo in 1969. Although I am not "participating" in any panic, I have "options" planned just in case, that will cut my consumption by eliminating marginal usage, and through downsizing. Just having the grandson switch from a semi-auto to a bolt 22 can save a brick of 22 ammo per month without any real hardship. Dropping from a 223 to a Hornet is no big deal either, yet cuts my per shot cost by half. Just what am I shooting anyway ? Paper, cans, feral cats, armadillos, an occasional turtle, quite a few coons and possums (re chickens & guineas), and a few deer and coyotes. 90% of that can be handled between a Hornet and a 357 mag rifle. The bigger stuff does not go bad just setting , it is there if I need it.  :) ;) ;)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »
I just got an email from Natchez that they have .223 & .308 ammo in stock.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
22 cal rimfires can't be reloaded(you knew that) so if you want to shoot them you need to buy as many as you can. I don't underestimate what a 22 lfr can do even as a defensive round.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »
if someone isn't scared of a .22lr,
they ain't right.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 03:36:08 AM »
if someone isn't scared of a .22lr,
they ain't right.

In a soical engagement it would be so on both sides of the trigger . On one side scared to be shot and the other scared the shot wouldn't stop the threat.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 05:05:53 AM »
It is all about shot placement with a 22lr.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 05:36:25 AM »
And everthing else too, though a shotgun with bird or buckshot gives you a bunch of leeway........
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special