Author Topic: Ammunition  (Read 2759 times)

Offline teleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Ammunition
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
We've got everybody stocking up on powder and primers up here in B.C. Since all our ammunition comes from the U.S. rumor has it things are going to get tight?? Should I be filling the shelf?
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
I started stocking reloading  stuff 4 years ago.  I wanted to beat the crowd when it all started.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »
We've got everybody stocking up on powder and primers up here in B.C. Since all our ammunition comes from the U.S. rumor has it things are going to get tight?? Should I be filling the shelf?

there has been quite a run on guns and ammo here where im at.im not a panic buyer. i stocked up well after the 08 panic died down, so am sitting pretty well as far as relaoding stuff goes.im not seeing the primer panic this time like last time.

one thing i do know is that if your finding stuff at a resonable price it is prob not going to get cheaper next year or the year after.

i dont know the situation in your area but if your a muzzel loader hunter it would be wise to stock up on black powder and raw lead.black powder is gettin pretty rare here, it has a indefinite shelf life as does lead.black can be used with cast bullets also to reload a lot of older common cartridges.

keep us in the loop on your situation up there please.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »
Teleman:

We don't have the same type of crowd in Ottawa as is occupying Washington. We do make IMR powders here, and then their is Norma and the stuff from Finland. Primers are made in other countries besides the USA and so are brass and bullets.

I wouldn't panic
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline teleman

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
Thanks for the info
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
From my recent gun show and gun shop visits, it's too late to stock up on factory ammo.   

Offline Chhelo

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »
Had a friend that bought a new 9MM and the store he bought it at did not have ammo for it.  Ordered primers and powder myself from my favorite supplier the 1st week of January at normal prices.  After mine arrived I checked and now they are out of CCI Large Rifle Primers, RR2 Benchrest Primers, and #34.  Also, my 2 favorite rifle powders Varget and H4895 are out of stock as well.  The other stuff I don't use but looks like they are sold out of a lot of components.  Better get it while you can if the prices are reasonable. Last two gunshows I attended in December primers and powder was available and the prices had not risen more than about $2.00 to $5.00 on above mail order.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:14 AM »
There is a gun show this coming weekend in Saratoga, NY and I plan on attending for two reasons.  First is that there is a planned protest against gun shows and 'assault rifles' and crap like that and  I love telling idiots like those who will be protesting that the reason I am attending is to (1) protect 'their' First Amendment rights, and (2) buy all the guns, ammo and reloading supplies I can and the (3) is so I can tell them again (just in case they missed it) that I plan on buying all the guns, ammo and reloading supplies I can just so I can protect my own Constitutional rights, and to heck with theirs..

Not that I really need any more reloading supplies now, and I'm pretty good on ammo but I have found guns show prices to be flat outrageous, especially in shows held after some horrendous event like that in Conn., when panic buying goes into high gear.  I have also found I can shop for better prices over the net, and at places like Mid-South, Natchez and others.   My local dealer is also fairly well stocked but a buddy of mine on vacation in Florida tells me the shelves at the various 'marts' are bare and the gun shows have been mobbed by panic buyers. 

I would say that you should stock up while you can, especially if you shoot a lot recreationally.  imo.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:00:05 AM »
Teleman:

We don't have the same type of crowd in Ottawa as is occupying Washington. We do make IMR powders here, and then their is Norma and the stuff from Finland. Primers are made in other countries besides the USA and so are brass and bullets.

I wouldn't panic

Good points and true to a point but if I were you I would consider what would happen if products from America stopped comming and at the same time the American market closed . How much would your cost rise if the companies producing in Canada lost the US market ? Same with products produced elsewhere ? If they had to fill markets vacated by US producers would a supply and demand situation drive cost to consumers up ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 04:51:14 AM »
Costs would go up, however I don't know how much. Most everything with the shooting sport has always been significantly higher in costs than in the USA except for the firearms themselves.

We don't have that frenzy panic type shopping up here and  I suspect there will be no new legislation. The type of firearm and accessories that got your Anti's knickers in a knot are not legal up here anyway.

We do not have "The Right to bear Arms" or a Document that entitles us for that and are subject to the whim of the Govt. at any time.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 04:57:22 AM »
When I hunted in Manatoba I had to buy shells and found them less expensive. Due to low stock on US made shells had to get a box of Winchester and Remington from Canidian Tire in Slelkirk . Tried the champion (i think ) but they were not so good.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:14 AM »
Common powders at last year's Gun Shows sold for around 35 to 38 bucks a pound tax included. I don't know how that compares to what you pay.
If I have to mail order anything the minimum shippping/handling cost  are close the $ 11 if it is anything haz mat add 15 bucks.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 06:22:32 AM »
Varaget is $26.00 here .
It was about 2005 when I got the shells and the exchange rate was different then.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:42:17 AM »
Varget is a more costly item here. At the local source they want $ 46+15% tax for a can.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
wow! yur prices and taxes are unreal.tell us more about your tax system? do you have income tax as we do? or just a national sales tax?

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »
  Here in N.C., the run is pretty huge. Walmart is down to shotgun shells and a few big game rifle calibers.  They will not be restocking before summer, if ever I was told. There are 6 walmarts near me, all are similar shape. I did the gun show last weekend and was in line an hour early. I was in pretty quick but truely, there was almost no .223 or 7.62 to be had, what was there was either corrosive old foreign stuff or new manufacture foreign shells at highly inflated prices. 500 rounds of 7.62 x39 brown bear was 499.00. There were 2 boxes left. There was almost no factory ammo in any quantity.

I went to both my local gunshops, and they did have most calibers including .22lr, .223 and the 7.62 but prices were 40-50 bucks for 20 round cans of fiocci. They were 18.00 last year. .223 was a buck a shell for wolf and tulla, 100 round maximum. .22lr was 49.00 for a 500 round brick of junk ammo. The prices have doubled to tripled. Sure gonna miss running to walmart for a 20 buck brick of .22 or 4.00 boxes of shotgun shells.. :-[
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
jonnyreb
. .223 was a buck a shell for wolf and tulla, 100 round maximum. .22lr was 49.00 for a 500 round brick of junk ammo. The prices have doubled to tripled. Sure gonna miss running to walmart for a 20 buck brick of .22 or 4.00 boxes of shotgun shells..

My local lgs told me the other day that he some .22lr on order and that it would be selling for $50.00 per brick.  9mm that was selling for $13.95 for 50 was selling for $32.95.  Supply and demand......
After Obama was elected the first time 22lr went from $13.00 a brick @ Walmart to over $20.00 per brick.  After this mess settles down, my lgs thinks the price for .22lr will be in the $35.00-$40.00 range for a brick. 
It's making shooting a whole lot more expensive........

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 02:23:07 AM »
Varget is a more costly item here. At the local source they want $ 46+15% tax for a can.

ouch !

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »
 The Democrats just filed a bill in congress to end all internet sales of ammo, this will include reloading components. You had better be on the phone with your elected officials NOW!

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 03:28:34 AM »
 Jj, I'm making the switch to upper end airguns just so I can shoot anytime I want, I'm gonna sit on my ammo till we figure out what's goin on. I've a feeling that since the libs can't come right out and mandate us on guns, they're gonna choke down our ammo availability until they can control shooting via accessability.  They never stop do they... :-\
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:43:02 AM »
wow! yur prices and taxes are unreal.tell us more about your tax system? do you have income tax as we do? or just a national sales tax?
This is outside the OP's post so I will answer in short

Yes, we have Income tax both federal and provincial
Our sales tax consists of a Federal tax( GST) goods and Services @ 7% nation wide
The Provinces vary from 6% to whatever they feel they can fleece from the folks
Some have, mine included something called HST which stands for Harmonized Sales Tax, a combination of both Fed and Provincial tax which is a sneaky way for both the Feds and Provinces to be able to collect taxes on items that at one time only was burdened with either but not both.

Quick example I buy a used vehicle privately in a Province that charges taxes separately. I would pay Provincial tax only. In a HST Province I get hit by both. In some Provinces it is figured on a pyramid scheme.
I buy postage stamps in a GST and PST  Province I pay GST only( YES we pay Tax on Potage stamps)
In a HST Province I pay both.

Sorry this got longer than I had hoped.

Suffice it to say your Govt. is trying to catch up to ours.

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:01:46 AM »
Jj, I'm making the switch to upper end airguns just so I can shoot anytime I want, I'm gonna sit on my ammo till we figure out what's goin on. I've a feeling that since the libs can't come right out and mandate us on guns, they're gonna choke down our ammo availability until they can control shooting via accessability.  They never stop do they... :-\

I've said for years that ammo is the key to gun control and I have a feeling that's right where all of this is headed...............

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 09:05:35 AM »
water , beans , ammo and meds are the key to people control.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »
BBF, please tell us what your exchange rate is on American currency.  That might make it easier for us to understand.   As I recall your wages are in the neighborhood of 20% higher than ours for what appears to be the same job.  That was a few years back. 

For a brief period in my life I was considering a move to Ontario which collapsed when I found out how stingy your government was handgun "permission slips".
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 05:40:52 AM »
My local non-gouging gun specific store just told me yesterday that this time around is worse than the last. Almost all the primers were gone at mid-aft and I bet by day end they were. BTW, that store reasonably limits sales of primers to 1K of each type so EVERYBODY gets a chance at some, otherwise somebody comes in and cleans then out. Similar with powders too. They do not know when they will get resupplied.
Stock up?, you bet!, this stuff will NOT be cheaper and will make great trading stock or whatever in the future.
Airguns will still allow us to shoot, but four years ago the price on pellets about doubled and for what real reason. Now it costs as much, or more, to shoot a tiny pellet as 22LR did not long ago!
Yep, they got us by the short hairs, if you dont remember the last time you should get the point this time.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
BBF, please tell us what your exchange rate is on American currency.  That might make it easier for us to understand.   As I recall your wages are in the neighborhood of 20% higher than ours for what appears to be the same job.  That was a few years back. 

For a brief period in my life I was considering a move to Ontario which collapsed when I found out how stingy your government was handgun "permission slips".

The exchange rate now is a mere penny or so. I don't get the US $ at par when I buy them here with Canadian currency and I don't get par when I sell US currency here either. The banks makes sure of that.
I haven't got a clue as far as wages are concerned. We vary here very much depending on what part of the country you live in,same as you I presume. I do know that my daughter in law, a registered nurse would make way more $ in the US than here.

Re handguns. Yep, I do have the proper paperwork to buy one but decided the hassle with storage, transport and when or where to shoot is not worth it.

Offline Redtail1949

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
localy everthing is basicly sold out. price gouging is through the roof.

Offline jimster

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
Just heard on the news today the police depts in Michigan are too low on ammo to practice anymore, sounds like it's hitting everyone.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
maybe Home land Security will lend them some of the 45 million rounds they procured last year .

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
I can see the panic buying on .223 and above, but why are .22 in short supply?
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------