Author Topic: Heck of a Surprise  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Heck of a Surprise
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
My son came by today with this Rock Island 1911 .45. We took it outside and had loads of fun shooting it. Well balanced, acurate and functioned flawlessly. When we were through he handed it to me, gave me a big hug, grinned and said, "Merry Christmas Dad!" I sure wasn't expecting him to do that but that's my son for you! I'd been telling him I'd like to find me a .45 but I'd have been Happy with just the hug. :) I felt like laughing and crying at the same time..

It came with a Black Hawk holster too

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Heck of a Surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »
My son done that with a 1984 Fender Amp. Ya just never know.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
My daughter buys all her Christmas presents with my money.  so far she hasn't asked for $1000
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
My son done that with a 1984 Fender Amp. Ya just never know.

Very cool Dee! Me thnks our son's spoil us! :)

Offline Dee

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
Well my son rides a Harley to work everyday. He's a certified master mechinic. He's 6'6", and weighs about 300 (he ain't fat), and has tatoos up both arms, with a billygoat beard. People notice when he hugs a 6'2",250lb. old man, and kisses me on the side of my head, and tells me he loves me.
I tell him he rides an inferior bike, and should get one like mine. We laugh, and get on our bikes and go somewhere. Anywhere. Yea, he's turned it around on me. I'm spoiled to him I guess. He's a good guy, and treats us very well.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »
 Nice Christmas present SH!       And God Bless both of you SH and Dee!           I have tried to do best by my 15 year old.     He is 6'1" ( I am quite a bit shorter)  and gives me hugs as well.   Something to be said for love of family.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »
Thanks. :)

Can anyone recomend a good concealment holster for a 1911? The Black Hawk it came with is nice but a bit difficult to conceal under a shirt. It works fine under a jacket but I want to make this my primary carry with my PF-9 as a back-up. I'm medium build, 5' 9", 160 lbs. Would an in the waist band holster be the wisest choice? It definitely needs to be something that will pull it tight to my body. I need to conceal it under an untucked shirt most of the time.

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
I carried 1911s for over 30 years concealed, and the best way is a THIN swayed leather ISWB in my opinion.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »
As usual, I agree with Dee!   ;)  Usually when I carried one of mine it was in the small of my back.

Heck, most of the time I didn't even use a holster...  ::)   'course, that was also before I started pushing 200 lbs @ 5'8"...  :-[
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
Thanks guys. I much apreciate the advice.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:54 PM »
HUMMM---Children. Just when you think you got them figgered out, you don't.
I wish I lived where you don't have to drive a bike to where you can ride a bike.
I have never hear Atlaw say he carried without a scabbard---it's a good way.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »
My step son is 6 ft 4in and about 170 lbs, raised him since he was 14,, he's 32 now. When he comes by once or twice a week he never fails to hug me and tell me he loves me. Iam only 5 8 at 220lbs and its a long reach up for me.

Gun Runner

Offline spruce

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:46 AM »
Congrats, great son you got there!  Heard a lot of good things about those RIA's.

Those 1911's are a perfect match for an IWB holster.  Used to carry mine a lot just stuck in the waistband - but that was before I had to hitch up my pants a few dozen times a day!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 05:22:32 AM »
Can anyone recomend a good itwb holster preferably with a snap down that will go under the cocked hammer?

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:18:14 AM »
SH, I would consider NOT carrying the 1911 "cocked and locked" in an inside the waist band SOFT holster. Your pistol HAS a hammer spur and with the hammer ALL THE WAY DOWN, is in no real danger of accident discharge unless dropped. With an ISWB holster cocking as it is being drawn is a simple matter. JMO

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
SH, I would consider NOT carrying the 1911 "cocked and locked" in an inside the waist band SOFT holster. Your pistol HAS a hammer spur and with the hammer ALL THE WAY DOWN, is in no real danger of accident discharge unless dropped. With an ISWB holster cocking as it is being drawn is a simple matter. JMO

Thanks Dee. :)

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
 I am a big proponent of www.jsholsters.com kydex IWB. It has a nice sweat guard tab, adjustable retension screw and is super thin/light. Now myself, I carried 1911's for of/on for 40 yrs or so, always Cocked/Locked and open top holsters. No thumb strap unless I carried in the woods or horseback, then I just used Tom Three Persons leather holster/strap, or a plain Uncle Mikes OWB nylon with strap. Many times I just carried it in the JS holster. I think it has to do a lot with one's training, use, etc, if they feel comfortable with C&L. Either way, and I'm sure you know this, for CCW, one way should be decided upon and never changed. i.e., open holster or thumb break or snap. I think the right leather holster is can be very comfortable, but that JS IWB is very comfortable. Good luck to you, and hug that boy!  ;D

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 03:45:15 PM »
Milt Sparks IWB the best. With a 45 and that looks like an officer model you have to get used to them. You are hanging a lot of steel on your drawers.
When we get older, fatter, gone through 25 or 30 operations and dont know if they got all the pieces back in the right place or not, its gets to the point... can we reach and remove a.... LONG...HEAVY piece of steel from the center of our backs like we could when we were young and agile? If so that gun will stop a fight.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 03:18:15 AM »
Hey Spirit!

Congrats on a new gun and son well raised!

I'd also suggest a Don Hume JIT.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 03:22:15 AM »
 I used a Milt Sparks Executive IWB with dress slacks/sports coat a lot with a full sized 1911, very comfortable. However, you still have to use the right gun belt, which are easy to find. I had two sizes of belt loops with mine. I also liked the Galco concealable for OMB, but conceals very well under the right outer garment. I wish had "half" the money I've spent on holsters in the last 40 yrs! ha.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 04:59:57 AM »
Thanks guys, I truly apreciate the advice. I think what I am going to do, holster wise, is wait untill the next gun show. There is always at least three dealers there with a large variety of holsters. That way I can take the 1911 with me and actualy try a holster on before buying it. Then I can find one that conceals easy on my body type and with the way I normaly dress. I'll certainly be looking for all those recomended though. I'd just hate to buy one on line only to discover it's not right for me.
I fully intend to carry this 1911 but I'll tell ya'all. It sure makes me apreciate my PF-9 and how easy it is to conceal and carry. I'll still carry the 9 as back up. I just like the idea of the stopping power of a .45. I'd imagine the intimidation factor of someone staring down the muzzle of a 1911 just might could save one from actualy having to pull the trigger as well  not that I wouldn't if forced to.

drdougrx, thank you. I'm pretty proud of hm. :)

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »
 Put a stainless steel barrel bushing in and it makes the bore look twice as large, ha!

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
Great reading these posts, gives me something to look forward to when my kids get older. Thanks!

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 09:11:48 PM »
RevJim, plus +100 on the belt. The best holster in the world has to hang from a good belt to be good.

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
For conceal carry, I have two very old Safariland clip holsters that are nothing but very thin leather that has been stiched together.  They have served me well over the past 40+ years.

I always carry locked & cocked and I've never been acquainted with a man who hasn't carried likewise.  Dee probably has his reasons for carrying otherwise, but when my 1911 comes out of the holster my thumb takes the safety off, as I lower my thumb, which also insures that the grip safety is disengaged. 

Having a high thumb sometimes causes that grip safety to not disengage and that can cause some confusion when you are in desperate  need to send a round on target from your 1911.

Offline Dee

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 03:20:45 AM »
5 hole, I too have always carried "cocked and locked", but I think you'll agree, that the 1911 is a different cat in the way of combat pistols. I have always called it a "thinkin man's gun". Not to be condescending to anyone, but if your not used to a 1911 pistol, and you accidentally knock that thumb safety off, or forget to engage it, without realizing it, you are now pulling a "LIVE PISTOL" out of you waist band. I've even seen police officers lay them on a desk with the thumb safety off, and there was hell to pay when I saw it.
In this condition, if you get on that trigger, the gun will say go! The key to safely carrying a 1911 pistol, is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. If you not willing to 'condition your MUSCLE MEMORY", by putting the time in, hammer down is the safest way to carry it. Anyone whom would disagree with that, doesn't know what their talkin about. I took a lot of officers off the range that wanted to carry the 1911, but weren't willing to put the time in. They were dangerous to themselves, and everyone around them.
It ain't a Glock, and it ain't a Sig DAO. A SINGLE ACTIONtrigger pull of 1/8" on some 1911 pistols and an INEXPERIENCED shooter is a scary thought.
Spirithawk I am sure is safe with guns, but I have never had him on my range, and it is a recommendation I give EVERYONE when I don't personally know their experience what the 1911.

By the way, my IWB holsters are much like yours, and just as worn, except I make my own. I agree it is the best way to carry concealed.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 03:26:57 AM »
5 hole, I too have always carried "cocked and locked", but I think you'll agree, that the 1911 is a different cat in the way of combat pistols. I have always called it a "thinkin man's gun". Not to be condescending to anyone, but if your not used to a 1911 pistol, and you accidentally knock that thumb safety off, or forget to engage it, without realizing it, you are now pulling a "LIVE PISTOL" out of you waist band. I've even seen police officers lay them on a desk with the thumb safety off, and there was hell to pay when I saw it.
In this condition, if you get on that trigger, the gun will say go! The key to safely carrying a 1911 pistol, is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. If you not willing to 'condition your MUSCLE MEMORY", by putting the time in, hammer down is the safest way to carry it. Anyone whom would disagree with that, doesn't know what their talkin about. I took a lot of officers off the range that wanted to carry the 1911, but weren't willing to put the time in. They were dangerous to themselves, and everyone around them.
It ain't a Glock, and it ain't a Sig DAO. A SINGLE ACTIONtrigger pull of 1/8" on some 1911 pistols and an INEXPERIENCED shooter is a scary thought.
Spirithawk I am sure is safe with guns, but I have never had him on my range, and it is a recommendation I give EVERYONE when I don't personally know their experience what the 1911.

By the way, my IWB holsters are much like yours, and just as worn, except I make my own. I agree it is the best way to carry concealed.

Advice much apreciated Dee. :) I have a lot of experience with a wide variety of firearms but this is my first 1911. Why I asked for advice in the first place. One thing I will say though. I'm very concious of safeties and find myself frequently insuring they are engaged no matter the firearm. My concern would be that with an ISWB holster, the gun tight to your body, the safety might easily be disengaged through body movement. Something I'll experiment with to see.

Offline Dee

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 03:31:19 AM »
Then I hope that my reasoning was understandable. As I recall you have children and grandchildren around, and the 1911 requires a lot of time. I carried them for 40 years, but as I have retired, and gotten older, I am not willing to put the time in. I simply made new holsters and started carrying Glocks. In other words. I listen to my own advice.

Offline Dee

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 03:35:07 AM »
The key to the 1911 Spirithawk, is what will you do with that thumb safety under stress, or excitement?

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 03:36:46 AM »
Then I hope that my reasoning was understandable. As I recall you have children and grandchildren around, and the 1911 requires a lot of time. I carried them for 40 years, but as I have retired, and gotten older, I am not willing to put the time in. I simply made new holsters and started carrying Glocks. In other words. I listen to my own advice.

No problem. I knew exactly what you meant , no need to explain. I look at the 1911 as a learning experience and fully intend to learn as much about it as possible before carrying it. That includes advice from folks such as you and through personal practice. As to the safety during stress, it's practice, practice, practice and oh yeah PRACTICE! ;)